Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strib: Cousins, Stefanski ready to build something together

So wait...

Stefanski is 37 and been with the Vikings 14 years???

That aside, how KS, Cousins and the Kubiak crew work together for planning, prep, game-time challenges is one of the top 3 storylines this year. 

At it's worst the Offenses struggles, the team struggles and Zimsu isn't extended. At its best? We're a balanced offensive juggernaut with all pros at tailback, qb and wr.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
So wait...

That aside, how KS, Cousins and the Kubiak crew work together for planning, prep, game-time challenges is one of the top 3 storylines this year. 

At it's worst the Offenses struggles, the team struggles and Zimsu isn't extended. At its best? We're a balanced offensive juggernaut with all pros at tailback, qb and wr.

Spielman and others said they've seen a notable difference with Cousins so far in the offseason and early in TC: much more comfortable. If the line and scheme can protect him to a better level than last season, it might be a fun year. It remains to be seen what level of QB Cousins really is: has he shown his best already or is there upside?

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
So wait...

Spielman and others said they've seen a notable difference with Cousins so far in the offseason and early in TC: much more comfortable. If the line and scheme can protect him to a better level than last season, it might be a fun year. It remains to be seen what level of QB Cousins really is: has he shown his best already or is there upside?
I wouldn't call it upside because this will be his 8th season and he's already shown he can put up some elite numbers. Against the Packers and Rams last year, for example, he threw for 847 yards, 7 TDs and only 1 pick, and the media narrative at the time was the Vikings got their money's worth. We didn't win those game but that had nothing to do with him.

I think Cousins has to show that he can be more consistent across an entire season. That's where his upside is. He has to avoid the big mistakes (particularly fumbles and pick sixes) and play better in key games. But I think better defense, better balance, better play calling and better protection will help him a lot.

That was a good read. I thought Kirk did a good job last year. All things considered. All things being handcuffed by some very questionable play calling, no protection or running game. 
I like that Kirk lobbied for and got Stefanski as his OC. Rodgers must be sooo jealous...lol. 
Kirk played well enough in some loses to have won. Played bad enough in a couple loses to take the blame. I see no reason he can't build off what was started.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
That was a good read. I thought Kirk did a good job last year. All things considered. All things being handcuffed by some very questionable play calling, no protection or running game. 
I like that Kirk lobbied for and got Stefanski as his OC. Rodgers must be sooo jealous...lol. 
Kirk played well enough in some loses to have won. Played bad enough in a couple loses to take the blame. I see no reason he can't build off what was started.
Dunno, I thought it was rather mundane fluff actually.  Lots of platitudes, meaningless compliments and short on actual information. "Leadership, self-aware, respect, comfortable, fit his strengths..."  Blah blah blah.
Nothing against you SCV, just was hoping for something more than every saying how great everyone else is.

Some of the naysayers need to be aware that last season was a complete mess of unlikely scenarios combining:

1.  New QB.

2.  New, untested OC.

3.  OL/Running game coach passes just before real work begins.

4.  XR and Harry have strangely poor seasons.

5.  Flip/Zimmer fail to mesh, another in-season OC change.

6.  OL riddled by injuries.

7.  EG has meltdown.

8.  RB is healed...kinda....nope...wait, better again.

To be honest, Cousins is on exactly the same footing with me that he was a year ago: I like the potential numbers, but show me that he can WIN.  Both the Foreskins and last years Vikings were whacko situations by any metric, so we're all waiting to see what can be done if he and the offense around him actually have and maintain some consistency.

It's barely getting to be camp time, so I'm full of offseason purple kool-aid...and drinking a mega-gonzo-gulp of same as I write this...but I largely just shake my head at the number of years our offense has been at least two major factors short of consistent.

2018 team just didn't have the heart I attached to 17 or 15...Maybe it was ripped-out when Sparano passed away? 

Anyways, its an odd year numbers wise so it's time for a Zimmer team to perform well again.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
Dunno, I thought it was rather mundane fluff actually.  Lots of platitudes, meaningless compliments and short on actual information. "Leadership, self-aware, respect, comfortable, fit his strengths..."  Blah blah blah.
Nothing against you SCV, just was hoping for something more than every saying how great everyone else is.
So Kirk doesn't really like Kevin?  It's not real?
I just bet you were a joy around the younger kids at Christmas and Easter.
 Wink 

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
So Kirk doesn't really like Kevin?  It's not real?
I just bet you were a joy around the younger kids at Christmas and Easter.
 Wink 
A veritable ray of sunshine...
Nah, I am optimistic about Kirk and the offense.  I had a wary feeling last year with ol Fliperoo.