Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hercules Mata'afa the 'surprise of camp' says Zimmer

From @ProFootballTalk, Mike Zimmer says on KFAN radio today that defensive lineman Hercules Mata'afa, who missed all of his rookie year last season with a knee injury, has been "the surprise of camp.'' Compares him to DT Geno Atkins, whom he had at Cincy.https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29/mike-zimmer-talks-up-hercules-mataafa/ …

That’s the word from Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer, who said today on KFAN that Mata’afa has been “the surprise of camp” so far in Organized Team Activities.
Mata’Afa was the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and left school early to enter the 2018 NFL draft. However, he wasn’t drafted in part because he weighed in at just 254 pounds and no one was sure what position he would play at the next level. He then tore his ACL last summer and didn’t play in a game as a rookie.
Zimmer says Mata’Afa is now 275 pounds and plays on the defensive line the way defensive tackle Geno Atkins played for the Bengals when Zimmer was Cincinnati’s defensive coordinator. That’s high praise; Atkins was a first-team All-Pro when playing for Zimmer.

I'm all for the D having layers of viciousness...!!

The 3T position is wide open and the way zimmer coaches it will go to the individual that earns it.  Sounds like Mata'afa put in the work in the offseason and still has his quickness.  He could be another great find out of the UDFA that we have been able to find here recently.  

Between Stephen, Mata'afa, Watts and Holmes we should be able to find a rotation of 3Ts who can combine to replace Richardson. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Between Stephen, Mata'afa, Watts and Holmes we should be able to find a rotation of 3Ts who can combine to replace Richardson. 
I hope we find 1 guy that can replace him and then a suitable backup or 2.  I have seen Stephen before.  He seems more likely to back up Joseph and play DT on short yardage.
Hopefully Herc, Watts or Holmes steps up and wins the job.

Herc Atkins? He's starting to remind me of another smallish DT who went undrafted...Woof

That's high praise from Zimmer...  He usually doesn't go out of his way to make comparisons about players.

If Hercules added some good weight and kept that quickness...  he could make a big impact as a pass rusher inside.

High praise from the head guy...With a name like that? Nowhere to go but up. 

I think Zim is still trying to get that D line rotation like Philly had 2 years ago. Hopefully Herc can improve enough to be part of that rotation.