Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elflein: 'I was in the weight room, not the hospital room this offseason'
Pat Elflein, the #Vikings left guard, has played it before. But he's confident in his departure from center, mainly, because he's healthy.

"I was in the weight room. I wasn't in the hospital this offseason." (link: http://www.startribune.com/garrett-bradbury-at-center-pat-elflein-at-guard-for-vikings-stefon-diggs-skips-ota/510280292/) startribune.com/garrett-bradbu… #Vikings

I think he's going to play like he has something to prove at OG. 

During the course of a season, the chances of at least a couple of linemen missing a game or two is pretty likely.  Last year was pretty devastating with no/none quality depth.  This year with the linemen that's in camp, I feel a whole lot better.  The depth now is really going to show and help the team through the season.

Never quite understood how many seemed to bail on the guy after last year...no ota...not mini camp, training camp, two surgeries...

He probably came back too soon...I think the 3rd game of the season.  No off-season workouts...no lifting, no training.  Like Barr said, no OTAs, mini camp or training camp.  Pretty much thrown to the wolves.

I think he definitely came back too soon.  I don't hold that against Elflein, but I hold it against Spielman and the coaching staff for not having a contingency plan for Elflein, Easton, and Remmers all being high risks on the inside (and Hill at RT with O'Neill being projected to redshirt)

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Never quite understood how many seemed to bail on the guy after last year...no ota...not mini camp, training camp, two surgeries...
From seeing him bust his hump at training camp, I never understood that either. He worked hard, I can respect that.

I'm glad he is doing better, but I think it takes longer to get NFL strong than 5 months.  More like 2 years in the weightroom.  As a rookie, he was not noted as being strong.  He was already behind then.  Last year he couldn't because of injuries, so he has a long ways to go from here.

Quote: @Ponifan said:
I'm glad he is doing better, but I think it takes longer to get NFL strong than 5 months.  More like 2 years in the weightroom.  As a rookie, he was not noted as being strong.  He was already behind then.  Last year he couldn't because of injuries, so he has a long ways to go from here.
He will have been back to full training for almost a year by the time the season starts.  Also he plays with better leverage and technique than most guys so any shortage of strength is covered up with talent and athleticism.  Elf will be just fine.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
LOL, because Vikings offensive linemen don't rebound from bad seasons! Come on, think how many (in the past decade) have only had ONE good season: Kalil, Charlie Johnson, Easton, Boone, Remmers, even Reiff...

And when was the last time an OL had a bad year or injury and then had a comeback season for us? Sullivan, Fusco...back to Bryant McKinnie, once one of our linemen declines, they're done or gone. Don't blame any fan for worrying that Elflein was a one-year wonder.