Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARE THE VIKINGS IN A QUARTERBACK TRAP?
The Quarterback Trap doesn't kill a team outright. It just chokes out the team's options and margins for error, leaving it to slowly suffocate under its own attempted solutions.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837...rback-trap

There is a lot in that tryst I don't agree with - including signing EG for the $ they did was a good idea.

And I am not convinced Cousins doesn't have the chance to be one of the better QB's we've had here since Bert. Not many QB's are going to look even decent behind that OL RS and Zimmer fielded. 

So many already tossing dirt on the Cousins era, so many I hope end-up looking foolish. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
There is a lot in that tryst I don't agree with - including signing EG for the $ they did was a good idea.

And I am not convinced Cousins doesn't have the chance to be one of the better QB's we've had here since Bert. Not many QB's are going to look even decent behind that OL RS and Zimmer fielded. 

So many already tossing dirt on the Cousins era, so many I hope end-up looking foolish. 
Cousins may be the best QB stat wise since Brett, but is that really saying much?  We're paying the guy 30 mil a year, so I'd think we better see him be one of the best Viking QBs ever.

Unfortunately, I just see a very mediocre QB with a pretty decent arm for the long ball.  The guy can't scrample worth a crap, fumbles like he's holding a greased pig, and just doesn't come up clutch in those close games we're losing.  Give him an All-Pro supporting roster of OL, RB, and WRs and he may get your team to the playoffs like planned, but how many other (and less expessive) NFL QBs could do the same?  I'd say most of them.

I'll believe Cousins is the answer when I see it.  I'm rooting for him, but he doesn't seem to win against tough teams (never has).  Because of high expectations, he's #1 on my most disappointing players list from last season (I just made that up; I really don't have that list).  Wink

Yeah, he can throw for fairly high yards; decent amount of TDs, but he's never won more than 9 games in a season.  That's the stat that matters most.  Want fans to support Cousins?  Then Cousins needs to lead the team to wins.

I just hope he isn't just one more pony on the Quarterback Carrousel that we've been stuck on.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

Agreed.  The hatred towards Cousins is palpable in that piece.  Calling Cousins a "journeyman" yet  calling Bridgewater and Keenum "veteran talent" is laughable.  While Keenum's year was magical, his ceiling was limited, and he'll be playing for his fifth team in seven years.  And Teddy is a backup to a HOF QB.
Holding Cousins accountable for his play is fair game but the continued hatred for him signing his contract is getting really, really old and petty.

Cousins is a QB who needs a good supporting cast to win a Super Bowl, like 30 or 31 other starting QBs in the NFL. We needed an upgrade at QB (Keenum was fool's gold), he was available and we signed him to market price, and for now anyway, we've been able to keep the foundation of a very strong roster in place. The pieces are there for him to win a Super Bowl. And if he does all of this talk goes away. And if he doesn't, we move on a try again. I don't get all the hand-wringing. 

This is what happens when you ignore the offensive line and it comes back and bites you in the ass when you take a big swing like Minnesota did with Cousins. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
This is what happens when you ignore the offensive line and it comes back and bites you in the ass when you take a big swing like Minnesota did with Cousins. 

Exactly

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
To be fair, they just came off a 13-3 season, and thought a "great" QB was all that was needed on offense.  They added Cousins, and found out:
a) Cousins isn't "great"
b) The entire team wasn't as good as they thought. (players and coaches)

the question is if it takes a big swing and a lot of money to put a QB in a position to win a SB.... how much value is there actually in that QB in relation to the guys at the lower end of that pay spectrum?   Could Teddy or another bargin bin guy get it done for less with a quality line in front of them?   I dont care what the market is,  if those high dollar guys arent winning championships they arent worth the money.  I would rather have a quality team overall than glaring holes at some positions,  razor thin depth,  and a constant battle for cap space because of over paying at one position.   No matter how the next 2 years plays out,  our QB spending has get brought under control.   Start taking a QB in the first 2 days of the draft every year,  and dont quit taking QB until you have 2 or 3 real starting candidates on the roster.