Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings to sign tryout DB Isaiah Wharton
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3127378/isaiah-wharton

He must have seriously impressed. Rumor was he was pretty damn good.

He already sounds like a professional...  
When asked about being one of the few players to start every game of his college career (48 starts):
“It was a blessing to do that,’’ Wharton said. “I took care of my body, listened to the strength staff, listened to the nutritionist, and just did what I needed to do. There’s no magic potion. You just do the right things, and God blessed me with being able to avoid anything major (injury-wise).’’
But if there’s something Wharton hopes every NFL team knows as he nears his goal of getting drafted, it’s this:
“I played in one of the best conferences and divisions in college football, and I started all 48 games for a reason,’’ Wharton said. “Obviously I’m durable, I do the right thing all the time. That’s why I was a team captain. I’m hungry. I’m an underdog. I have a chip on my shoulder. You’ll be surprised when you do the right thing how far it’ll get you. When I get to the next level I’m going to do the right things, and I’m going to take someone’s job. Because you know if they’re bringing me in, I have to take someone out. So that’s the mindset I have.’’

Here's his highlights from 2018.  You have to mute it because the dumb ass trying to get a record deal didn't know how to turn off the volume on the tv broadcast in their software editing. 

Kick-ass kid

He looks good enough to me.  Seems to be on his guy and tackle but with limited snaps on a highlight video everyone looks like Dieon Sanders. 

Reason he did not get drafted was his speed.  He ran a 4.67 on his Pro Day.

Quote: @"Ponifan" said:
Reason he did not get drafted was his speed.  He ran a 4.67 on his Pro Day.
Ugg, how in the world are you going to be a NFL DB with that?  Turdwell runs faster at 4.64 lol. 

I saw he ran 4.64 at his pro day, but honestly if he didn't have good form you can shave off another .5 to .1.  That is not a deal breaker.  His athleticism looks good enough with good height, and he obviously performed fairly well at the rookie camp.  Call that good enough to give him a shot at possibly a practice squad spot. 

I think he might be more safety material than corner. 

Not that this guy will pan out, but this is one of the reasons I was ok with not drafting a corner (besides being stacked at the position). Zimmer has a gift for identifying talents out of whatever we do at rookie minicamps, especially now at CB.

lol I kinda wonder what Mike Zimmer's personal big board might look like if he got to run all of the prospects through one of his minicamps vs using the current scouting process...