Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schraeder Still In Play?

I felt coming out of the draft that there was only one more move to make to completely overhaul the line: replace Reiff with either a #1 pick next year or adding a cheaper RT and moving O'Neill to the left. Schraeder makes a ton of sense.

I also see that Tyler Conklin didn't get his 5th year option. All Pro his rookie season but has declined. Titans switched from power to a zone blocking scheme last year. That may be the reason behind it. And if so, he may not fit well here either. 

A guy like Trey Adams could be available late Day 1 or Alex Leatherwood...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I felt coming out of the draft that there was only one more move to make to completely overhaul the line: replace Reiff with either a #1 pick next year or adding a cheaper RT and moving O'Neill to the left. Schraeder makes a ton of sense.

I also see that Tyler Conklin didn't get his 5th year option. All Pro his rookie season but has declined. Titans switched from power to a zone blocking scheme last year. That may be the reason behind it. And if so, he may not fit well here either. 
Actually it is the other way around.  Titans went from a zone to power scheme, that is why I hold hope that Kline might be a solid pick up.

Quote: @Amazonviking said:
@MaroonBells said:

Actually it is the other way around.  Titans went from a zone to power scheme, that is why I hold hope that Kline might be a solid pick up.
 No, the Titans switched to a zone blocking scheme in 2018.

all speculation. nothing solid. though its fine to guess given we’re in the wilderness as far as football 

One interesting thing the article points out is the cap savings...  Geoff mentioned earlier this off-season that the Vikings are/were considering a "cost-controlled" OL since we were paying Cousins and our WRs so much money.  Sounds like they wanted some cheap veterans and young draft picks to round out the unit.

While I don't think it's likely...  The Vikings might consider cutting Reiff post-June 1 and signing Schraeder to free up some cap space now and in the future.  That said, I think it might be more likely next year when the cap savings is more and we hopefully have an answer at LT before we move on...

If the author can't take the time to figure out whether or not teams can contact players released with a post-June 1st designation...

Is the number he came up with for our savings of releasing Reiff right?

Im not sure Reiff was a contributor to our issues. I think his issues last season will be shored up with more consistent play from the rest of the line.

Another thing I wonder about and ill admit I dont know a ton about Atlanta's offensive line; the Falcons drafted offensive lineman in the 1st and 2nd round. One a RT. They released this guy and replaced him with a rookie they couldnt assume that theyd get.

The idea is move Brian to LT, where he played in college, cut Reiff to save enough money to come out ahead even after signing this RT.

Does anyone know anything about this RT? Atlanta seemed to have issues with their line and they went heavier than we did in the 1st 2 rounds addressing it. I wonder if this guy is is trending in the wrong direction...

ONeill is great at RT. Reiff has been good at LT. Id just keep it the way it is now with what weve added.

Also... the faster we move ONeill to LT, and if he performs as expected; LTs get paid a tooooon of money...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

I think it has more to do with his recent injury history.  They may just be taking a wait-and-see approach (to see if he can finally stay healthy).