Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft Thoughts....
Just a few thoughts on the draft itself before I get to the picks themselves. Maybe I'm turning into a "get off my lawn" oldie, but I completely agree with Barr on hating the format its in now. I would love for it to go back to an all weekend marathon. I also despise the goofy ass schticks and former players who cant even read guest announcing the picks. Jim Brown was classic this year. I feel kind of sorry for the players drafted who just don't want their big moment ruined by something else taking the focus off the player themselves. I don't need a gorilla announcing the picks, I don't need Wyatt Earp announcing the picks, I don't need the pick being flown in from a helicopter for some fan to try to read, and I don't need some kid swimming underwater to announce the pick. It's ridiculous and dumb. I also don't need former players acting like jackass's trying to see who can incite the crowd more with trash talk or team war chants. It's played out, give it up. 

On the picks:

Bradberry- I think the writing was on the wall that he would be the pick if he was available. You could not pick a more perfect player for our scheme that fills the biggest need we have along our offensive line. Day one starter at center with Elf kicking over to left guard. Our line got a lot better with this pick and this makes our draft in and of itself a win no matter what happened afterward.

Smith Jr- Certainly a value pick, but I thought finding another legit receiver would have helped more here especially considering what we had at TE already. I thought we were pretty solid with Rudy, Morgan, and drafting Conklin last year.  Smith is not a real big guy, but will gash defenses up the seam. I'm going to be very interested to see how much the Vikings use him in our new scheme. To me he is kind of similar to the Rams Gerald Everett. 

Mattison- We needed to address the backup RB spot, but at this spot!? With this player!? I don't know a lot about him honestly but Walter Football had him as the 23rd best RB in this class and a 5th to 7th round prospect.  Jeremiah mentioned when he was drafted that he really struggles in pass protection.  I just don't think you make this pick here with what was on the board and there was RB depth through the 6th round. I was a huge Dexter Williams fan who went to the Packers in the 6th and I'm going to be very interested to see how the two careers compare.  I think Rick blew it here with all the trade downs and then going with this position and player.  To me its what turns this draft from a B to probably a C+

Samia will probably make the roster as a backup and Udoh is an interesting physical talent, but the rest of this draft leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think anybody else makes the roster and all will fight for practice squad jobs. I just don't think we did a good enough job filling need spots with quality players and instead continued to trade down for quantity. Just a strange draft and think we needed more bang when we were drafting mid round each round.

I think you're being too harsh on the Mattison pick...  this reminds me a lot of the uproar when we took McKinnon late in the 3rd round and that turned out alright.  Check out some vids of this guy, he looks really good.  He wasn't on my radar but the more I see, the more I like.

I totally agree about the corniness this spectacle has become.  After those three days I cannot stand t hear another syllable out of Trey Wingo’s mouth.  And don’t get me started on those State Farm commercials...

Regarding Mattison, Walter is the only site I have seen that had him rated that low.  All the other sites I have had him about where he was taken.  He will be the Vikings short yardage back and will also spell Cook.  He will be better at it than Murray.