Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You won't like it...
But there are absolutely guys who can Start at OG into the 3rd Round of the Draft.

Third Offensive Weapon (TE or WR) and D-Line could have someone listed one Tier higher fall to #18 or #50 and push OG to the 3rd.

When constructing a Roster teams that pass on higher Tier players to address a need with a lower Tier player generally end up turning into the Raiders or Browns of recent but not current vintage or Cardinals or even the Pukers to a lesser extent.

While this Draft Class lacks elite O-Line prospects it's friggin loaded with quality guys. I hear a lot about how deep the D-Line and TE groups are but the fall-off from each Tier is far greater than on the O-Line. 

To put it a different way you might say an overall evaluation of 70 out of 100 is needed for a prospect to be someone you feel internally that you can coach up to start. At D-Line there's like 4-5 dudes or more you can easily rate in the low 90s but the next Tier is more like guys in the mid to high 70s. That's a big dip. Same for TE.

Meanwhile, at O-Line I see a ton of dudes that rate 70-85. The drop off is simply not that great between say Lindstrom, whom I'd rate at like 80 and Samia that I'd rate around 72. Would I prefer a 90 like Williams or Dillard? Of course. Those dudes won't be there. 

Now let's say I have Hockenson as a 94 or Gary/Sweat as a 92 and one of them falls. Do you take Lindstrom knowing there's still a ton of guys available that aren't rated that far below him or the guy with with the significantly higher grade?

You pick Adrian Peterson and Randy Moss using these parameters. You pick Christian Ponder when you don't. 

Gary is fools gold...

1.  The Vikings had decent OLines when they drafted Moss and Peterson
2. The Vikings werent 1 year into a monster contract for a franchise QB when they drafted Moss and Peterson

I agree that they have to weigh the available talent,  but some where in that ratio has to be need and its not like they need just 1 OL addition,  they should be looking at 2 OL selections in the first 2 days at least.  

We need to see a day 1 starter from our first 2 picks this year and we arent nearly as likely to see that if they go Defense in the first round.

The Vikings offensive line hasn't been this bad in how long now?? It can't be ignored again or you can basically wipe your ass with Cousins's contract. And I have to take a little issue at you throwing out Moss and Peterson, once in a generation players, to try and make your point. We all understand BPA, in theory. But Minnesota was in MUCH better shape on the OL when they drafted both of those guys. And the ultimate reach picks in Ponder and Williamson were horrific, no argument there. But those positions are the tops in bust potential anyway for every team. 

If Minnesota waits until round 3 to take an OL, good luck to them because they'll need it. It will affect next season also. If Spielman ignores it again, why did they bother signing Cousins? His contract will be done and Minnesota will have offered him the worst starting unit wearing purple in 15 years or more. The depth on their OL is staggeringly bad. Any injuries and it'll be a shit show. 

Don't think I don't understand what you are laying down, I do. And its possible they don't go OL in the first 2 rounds, its just how the Draft might fall. But they are in a tough situation by their own doing and even having said what I just said, I'll still be surprised if they don't draft OL with one of their first two picks. 

We've reached critical mass on the OL...the OL is the heart and soul of a team...they set the tone...a guy like Lindstrom is going to give you a better chance to maximize that investment in our QB, unlock Cook, and extend drives that keep our D fresh and off the field...one more sleep and we'll know what our brain trust values... 

I'm not ultimately convinced Trey Waynes doesn't get moved for a 3rd or so....not saying I think he should be but it clears cap and nets a pick.
We need OL help and we darn well better grab it early and often.  IF and its a HUGE IF there is a "once in a lifetime" talent available at 18 then I say go for it.   But that better lock us into 2-3 more OL over the course of the draft.  We need starters AND warm bodies. 

I guess I have to ask then why a once in a lifetime talent made it to 18?  I certainly hope we do the right thing and draft at least 2 OL in rounds 1-3.

1)  No one knows if teams that draft BPA are better at building rosters.  We don't know where they rank each players and if they're actually drafting for need or using BPA.  Furthermore, good coaching staffs get more out of their players and teams with bad owners/front offices/coaching staffs will never be able to build a great roster.
2)  We aren't building a roster.  Our roster is one of the best in the league with a gaping hole at OLine.3)  We need 2 quality OLine.  We can't wait to draft our first one with a 3rd.4)  If you are waiting until the last round where it's likely to get a player, there might be a run and you might not get any.  Last year we got the last decent OLine prospect and he was a year 1 red shirt.5)  Our OLine is desperately in need of an impact player.  We have a bunch of lower tier starters.  If we draft another lower tier starter we're just going to end up with a lower tier line that we still need to upgrade in 2020.6)  If a Moss is available at 18, sure draft Moss.  If Aaron Donald is available at 18, draft Donald.  If Kevin Williams is available at 18, draft OLine.

It's funny how unexcited I am for the draft this year. Guess it's been a while since I've felt the real excitement I used to. Maybe because they've drawn it out over 3 days and starting on a Thursday. Maybe it's just because I've learned that picks don't turn out like you expect when then actually play. Maybe it's just this year because they really need the unexciting Olinemen and if they don't get 1 or 2, even the more exciting picks will seem bad. I'll follow along tomorrow just not the same now.

I'm more apprehensive of failure for this upcoming draft...hope I'm proven wrong...

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
It's funny how unexcited I am for the draft this year. Guess it's been a while since I've felt the real excitement I used to. Maybe because they've drawn it out over 3 days and starting on a Thursday. Maybe it's just because I've learned that picks don't turn out like you expect when then actually play. Maybe it's just this year because they really need the unexciting Olinemen and if they don't get 1 or 2, even the more exciting picks will seem bad. I'll follow along tomorrow just not the same now.
I don't get caught up in watching the Draft anymore, haven't for about 10 years now. I can see every pick as they happen on my phone and then surf the 'Net to get all the detailed info I could ever want on them. I couldn't give two shits what the 'heads' think of our Draft. Don't care about the post-Draft 'grades'. Watching it on TV is such a colossal time suck, interwoven with contrived filler that is just diarrhea of the mouth. 

Very interested in who they select, but absolutely don't care about viewing it on TV.