Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleacher Report asks Viking fans "how'd you feel about a TE #1?"

1. The Picker: Sobleski

1. The Pick: TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
  1. Tight end isn't an obvious choice for the Minnesota Vikings, but Iowa's T.J. Hockenson makes sense on multiple levels.
    First, his value can't be denied. Hockenson is the class' top-rated tight end prospect and has the potential to be drafted among the initial 10 selections.
    Second, Hockenson's value is derived from a unique skill set. The majority of today's tight ends are either weapons in the passing game or traditional in-line blockers. Few can do both equally well. Hockenson can.
    Third, the reigning John Mackey Award winner's blocking ability will help a suspect offensive line. Hockenson is exceptional at the point of attack and will only make the Vikings' front stronger.
    Finally, Kyle Rudolph is entering the final year of his contract and turns 30 years old in November. The Vikings can lean on 22-personnel (one running back and two tight ends) this season and then have Hockenson serve as Rudolph's replacement for the 2020 campaign.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2831...ce=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral#slide18

He'd be an exciting pick for sure.  Kind of like going out shopping for a mini-van can coming home with a cool Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  B) 

I want a top-end O lineman at #18 but there certainly could be a worse pick on draft day.  And technically, he WOULD play on the O line, so there's that.  Wink

Either he or Fant would be fine with me.  Fant isn't as good blocking as Hockenson but he's not terrible either. Remember seeing a highlight they called the double pancake where Hockenson and Fant both planted their guys on the same play.  

I'm seeing Hockenson going higher and higher in round one on most late mocks now and Fant not even getting to Minnesota at 18. Means little of course, but it might show that these guys were a little underrated by the media a month ago.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
He'd be an exciting pick for sure.  Kind of like going out shopping for a mini-van can coming home with a cool Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  B) 
How would Viking fans feel? This sounds a little more like the husband brought home the jeep and the wife said we really needed the mini van. She was being practical. He really hopes she loves it once she drives it. Practical is guard for us. This kid sounds alot more exciting. 

Hockenson probably won't be there when the Vikings pick. I have no idea why, but he's considered a top 15 talent. If you want a minivan, this is it. He's a good all around TE. He's a very good blocker, but not as good as Morgan. He can run, but he's not as athletic as everyone makes him sound. He's not Gronk. 

Fant likely will be there. I hope so. He might draw a trade up. If the Vikings take him, I'll probably need help to remove my foot from the TV. 

Taking a TE in the 1st round is stupid. Let stupid teams do that. Detroit, they're always good for wasting a 1st round pick on a TE. Let them do it. 

Pfffff, everyone knows we're drafting a CB anyway in round 1. 

I like Fant better because he is more like a huge WR to me anyway.
I am not too concerned about the TE blocking.  They got Morgan and Rudolph to do that already.
All 3 of the current Vikings tight ends ran 4.8 or worse.  That is slow.  Very slow.
Fant ran a 4.51 at 249 lbs.
Yeah, I like that better and don't really care if he is the blocking tight end.
He'll get better at it but probably never will be an "extra lineman".
Kind of strange that this sentiment is something coveted for a tight end to be honest.

You got to look at what's needed right now for an immediate impact.  Obviously the offensive line is the most glaring need for the stability for the offense.  Do the Vikings take a tight end or a defensive lineman in round one due to the fact of that player's overall ranking in the draft?  Or, play it safe, maybe reach a little bit and get that offensive lineman that absolutely needed?  Right now the Vikings should go with the "Needs".  If they can't improve or stabilize the offensive line, it will be another wasted season IMO.