Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Howard go in 1st round?
One NFL exec says it would be "ballsy" but Howard is sure getting a lot of buzz right now. 

Also, There's a belief gaining steam on draft twitter that the amount of offensive linemen who go in the 1st round will be much more than all the mocks we're seeing. I wouldn't mind trading down, but that 1st pick almost has to be OL. I really think the pickins for OL are gonna be slim at 50. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026635/article/2019-nfl-draft-four-players-who-could-be-firstround-surprises

Hmmmm... so maybe I'm NOT crazy for saying Lindstrom SHOULD be a target at 18 for the Vikings...

Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College

His name hasn't been discussed as much as the draft's other top linemen, but teams will be surprised at this point if Lindstrom doesn't go in the first round -- perhaps even in the top 20, thanks to his athletic ability, smarts and versatility. He helped himself with a solid Senior Bowl week. Some believe he can play center, too.
"He's one of those guys that it's not a sexy pick, but he'll end up playing eight to 10 years and just be a steady, good pro," an NFC personnel director said.
There was a run on interior offensive linemen in the back half of Round 1 a year ago and the same thing may well happen here, with N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury, Texas A&M center Erik McCoy and maybe even Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins in the mix, as well.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Also, There's a belief gaining steam on draft twitter that the amount of offensive linemen who go in the 1st round will be much more than all the mocks we're seeing. I wouldn't mind trading down, but that 1st pick almost has to be OL. I really think the pickins for OL are gonna be slim at 50. 
I agree, I think fans will be surprised how early and often some of the top OL go in the draft.  I made a post earlier this offseason that looked at how many OL were selected in the first 50 picks in the last five years.  I think there 9-11 selected in the first 50 picks in 4 out of the 5 years.  The one outlier was the Bolles/Ramczyk draft, but that was a pretty poor draft for OL at the top.

I don't think the Vikings can wait until 50 to take an OL.  They either need to trade up for a guy they really want or trade down into the bottom half of the first round (get an extra Day 2/early Day 3 pick) and get a guy there.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I agree, I think fans will be surprised how early and often some of the top OL go in the draft.  I made a post earlier this offseason that looked at how many OL were selected in the first 50 picks in the last five years.  I think there 9-11 selected in the first 50 picks in 4 out of the 5 years.  The one outlier was the Bolles/Ramczyk draft, but that was a pretty poor draft for OL at the top.

I don't think the Vikings can wait until 50 to take an OL.  They either need to trade up for a guy they really want or trade down into the bottom half of the first round (get an extra Day 2/early Day 3 pick) and get a guy there.
....or just draft the guy that fits their needs at 18 and don't get cute.
*Gasp!* *Choke!* I just said the dirty word "need" in a draft post!!
But at the time of each draft, some teams get mocked for "reaching" for a player when "experts" proclaim he was only valued about 15 picks lower, and scolded because they could have traded down - as if there is a fluid stock market for moving up and down the draft at will. Sometimes those players were dumb picks like Dimitrius Underwood, but some of those guys became long-time starters because the team picking them scouted well, knew they fit needs and scheme, and that they might not be available 32 picks later - and a year later, with flops scattered among all the "high value" prospects, who cares if someone was picked "a round early"?

6 OL in round 1 last year and then 4 quickly taken in the first 10 picks of round 2...that would put the Vikings getting the 11th-best lineman if they wait for pick #50.

As for me, I don't even want to hear "We pick him because he was the best player available".  all that would says to me is they didn't draft a high caliber lineman.

Hmmmm... so maybe I'm NOT crazy for saying Lindstrom SHOULD be a target at 18 for the Vikings...

Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College

His name hasn't been discussed as much as the draft's other top linemen, but teams will be surprised at this point if Lindstrom doesn't go in the first round -- perhaps even in the top 20, thanks to his athletic ability, smarts and versatility. He helped himself with a solid Senior Bowl week. Some believe he can play center, too.
"He's one of those guys that it's not a sexy pick, but he'll end up playing eight to 10 years and just be a steady, good pro," an NFC personnel director said.
There was a run on interior offensive linemen in the back half of Round 1 a year ago and the same thing may well happen here, with N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury, Texas A&M center Erik McCoy and maybe even Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins in the mix, as well.
I don't think it's any secret that the folks who do these rankings are basing them half on what they've seen on tape and half on what they've heard from NFL personnel. And so for a guy like Lindstrom, his rankings are so varied because zone teams they talk to probably have him much higher than the power teams they talk to.

I think the thing that makes Lindstrom so potentially appealing to the Vikings is that he's a perfect fit. And not just in terms of scheme. You don't have to move anyone. You put him at left guard and forget about it.

Ideally you'd like to see them trade down and get him but that comes with some risk the Vikings may not be willing to take. I'd give my left nut to see what the Vikings draft board looks like right now. 

I don't think it's any secret that the folks who do these rankings are basing them half on what they've seen on tape and half on what they've heard from NFL personnel. 
....and what the NFL personnel are telling them which is misinformation/misdirection.

@"MaroonBells" said:

I think this year's draft is shaping up a lot like last years. People don't remember this but the Vikings had already decided to move Remmers to guard before the draft. The other starting guard was supposed to be a healthy Nick Easton. And so guard wasn't as big a need as people thought. Tackle was the big need. And despite all those guards going off the board between our first and second rounder, not a single tackle went between Hughes and O'Neill.

This year is a little better, but if you consider Ford and Risner guards, and I think most teams will, there are only three tackles after the 1st rounders whom I consider day-two guys: McGary, Howard and Little. McGary and Howard will likely go no later than 40. And so between the early 2nd and the 4th round, there's only Greg Little, a player with serious question marks. After that you're into "anybody's guess" picks like Edoga and Pipkins.

@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I think this year's draft is shaping up a lot like last years. People don't remember this but the Vikings had already decided to move Remmers to guard before the draft. The other starting guard was supposed to be a healthy Nick Easton. And so guard wasn't as big a need as people thought. Tackle was the big need. And despite all those guards going off the board between our first and second rounder, not a single tackle went between Hughes and O'Neill.

This year is a little better, but if you consider Ford and Risner guards, and I think most teams will, there are only three tackles after the 1st rounders whom I consider day-two guys: McGary, Howard and Little. McGary and Howard will likely go no later than 40. And so between the early 2nd and the 4th round, there's only Greg Little, a player with serious question marks. After that you're into "anybody's guess" picks like Edoga and Pipkins.
Good observations about the Remmers plan, so it makes me think that the key question for 2019 is, "Have the Vikings already decided to move Riley Reiff to LG?" That proposal has drifted around, though I don't know that anything has suggested it more strongly. Has Reiff worked at G in OTAs? Has O'Neill been taking snaps at LT?
It sure feels like the Vikings have 4 starting OL in Reiff, O'Neill, Elflein, and Kline. Unless Isadora or Collins or someone else is being counted on, they seem to need a 5th. Is it at OG or OT?

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Good observations about the Remmers plan, so it makes me think that the key question for 2019 is, "Have the Vikings already decided to move Riley Reiff to LG?" That proposal has drifted around, though I don't know that anything has suggested it more strongly. Has Reiff worked at G in OTAs? Has O'Neill been taking snaps at LT?
It sure feels like the Vikings have 4 starting OL in Reiff, O'Neill, Elflein, and Kline. Unless Isadora or Collins or someone else is being counted on, they seem to need a 5th. Is it at OG or OT?
That's the $64,000 question. If you look at the free agent OLs we showed interest in (James and Schraeder, both RTs), you have to think they're at least open to the idea of adding a RT and moving O'Neill to the left and Reiff inside.

I think right now they're just keeping their options open based on the position the best player available plays.