Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Story on Everson

These days any good news feels so encouraging.  Sounds like his family is there with him, I was really hoping he hadn't lost that.

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
These days any good news feels so encouraging.  Sounds like his family is there with him, I was really hoping he hadn't lost that.
Family and mental instability are a slippery slope. Being there for them and enabling are a thin line. The wife did what she needed to for herself and her children. In the long hard road, also what was needed for him. He is saying the right things now. It's still a long road though. Best of luck to that family now and in the future.

Mental health issues are definitely challenging for the person going through it and for those who love him or her. There is still such a stigma attached unfortunately. I am hoping for the best for Everson and his family. And that slippery slope piece is so true. You want to be there and show support and encouragement and at the same time empower the person to learn and grow. I think you learn and grow from experiencing the person's struggles. You struggle with helplessness and hopelessness. You struggle to be positive and you struggle not to get frustrated. But remembering that they are struggling to find what works for them and reminding yourself that you can't fix it is important. It's a roller coaster but focusing on the positive, the strength and courage helps. People struggling with mental health issues are some of the strongest people out there. Their battles are unlike any other. 

When it's a loved one it is a struggle. You fight forces from without and from within the family. As was the case with this family it is often unavoidable that at some point the police get involved. The voices from without are most difficult because as you say Viker there is a stigma. Those voices often don't help you deal with the tough choice this woman had to make. They think it oh so easy to say just leave them. They don't understand the guilt. What would they think of you if your husband got cancer and you just left him? It even harder when that loved one is your adult child. Try to feel good about what usually has to happen before that loved one understands that they get help or you won't help them anymore. This woman did the right thing by drawing this difficult line. Forced his hand really. He's a better man now because she did. 

Glad to hear he's feeling better about life.  Man, it would be so awesome to see a dominent Griff back with the team.