Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple IOLs to keep your eye on
Gil Brandt released his top 150 yesterday and while he's got to be 100 years old, his connections to NFL personnel people has always been right up there with the Rick Gosselins and Bob McGinns of the world. 

Couple of surprises: He's got Connor McGovern at 31, ahead of Risner, McCoy and Lindstrom. I've always been a big fan of McGovern. I think he may have been the 1st player I mentioned in this draft season, but this is the first time I'm seeing him anywhere near this high.

Another is Drew Forbes, a G from Southeast Missouri State. I'd never even heard of him, but Brandt has Forbes at 105, ahead of guys like Gaillard and Samia. Here's a blurb naming him one of the players who has improved his stock the most.
If any NFL teams that were high on Forbes were hoping to keep him a secret, his Pro Day performance kind of blew up that plan. Forbes wasn't a projected draft pick by Draft Scout in February. He's now listed as a 4th-5th rounder.
At 6-foot-5 and 305 pounds, his 4.87-second 40-yard dash would have been the fastest for an offensive lineman at the Combine. Forbes also had Top 10 marks in the bench press (28 reps), vertical (30.5 inches) and the 3-cone (7.59 seconds).

I wonder if McGovern is pushed higher because he's an OT and Risner, McCoy, and Lindstrom are interior guys only...  I certainly wouldn't draft him ahead of those guys (based on the Vikings needs).

I'm not a big Samia fan, but his LG teammate Ben Powers is a stud in the 3rd.  Samia seems to have a 'stupid' mentality.  He gets called at the most inopportune time because he can't keep his temper in check.  Undisciplined.  Not a Zimmer type player IMO.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
I wonder if McGovern is pushed higher because he's an OT and Risner, McCoy, and Lindstrom are interior guys only...  I certainly wouldn't draft him ahead of those guys (based on the Vikings needs).
I think you're right. Sort of. I don't think McGovern has played tackle, but his versatility is probably appealing to a lot of teams. While he hasn't played tackle he definitely has the length for it. 6-5, 34 inch arms. He's played mostly guard, but moved to center for one season and supposedly graded out with a perfect grade there. Not sure about his fit in a zone though.  

Quote: ?@"lakeerievike" said:
I'm not a big Samia fan, but his LG teammate Ben Powers is a stud in the 3rd.  Samia seems to have a 'stupid' mentality.  He gets called at the most inopportune time because he can't keep his temper in check.  Undisciplined.  Not a Zimmer type player IMO.
I said the exact same thing about Timmy Jernigan but he's tempered that hot-headedness without diluting his play at the NFL Level.

Frankly, I like all of the Sooners Linemen in the Draft. Powers or Samia would be a virtual lock to kick Isadora off the team and maybe displace Kline if the LG is found in the 1st or 2nd Round.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
I think you're right. Sort of. I don't think McGovern has played tackle, but his versatility is probably appealing to a lot of teams. While he hasn't played tackle he definitely has the length for it. 6-5, 34 inch arms. He's played mostly guard, but moved to center for one season and supposedly graded out with a perfect grade there. Not sure about his fit in a zone though.  
Damn...  I'm getting too old.  I was thinking of the "other" Connor McGovern that played OT for Missouri a couple years ago.  You're right, this one only played OG and C for Penn State.

I feel like McGovern is going to be a late riser like Frank Ragnow was in 2018. There are a lot of similarities between them: versatility, experience, high character, work ethic - and both carried professional size and strength without needing a year of NFL strength training. Very high floor in each case. I don't know that McGovern will go as high as #20 but a team picking him late in round 1 would not shock me and I bet he's gone halfway through round 2.

[Image: Texas%20A%26M%20University.png]
The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes Texas A&M C Erik McCoy will be drafted highly.Brugler doesn't anticipate McCoy (6'4/303) to be available for the 58th overall, and neither do we. In fact, there's a chance that McCoy lands in the first round. McCoy brings a lot of athleticism to the table, but he also is very experienced and can play multiple positions on the interior. Expect McCoy to be off the board between No. 18 and 50 overall.
SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: Texas%20A%26M%20University.png]
The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes Texas A&M C Erik McCoy will be drafted highly.Brugler doesn't anticipate McCoy (6'4/303) to be available for the 58th overall, and neither do we. In fact, there's a chance that McCoy lands in the first round. McCoy brings a lot of athleticism to the table, but he also is very experienced and can play multiple positions on the interior. Expect McCoy to be off the board between No. 18 and 50 overall.
SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Hmmm...I wonder what the significance is of picks 18 and 50. 

I didn't realize McCoy was that tall...would be nice to double down with Lindstrom and McCoy...