Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the needs by position for 2019 Vikings
I think it goes like this:
1) OG, OT ( toss up depending where they play Reiff)
2) DT
3) RB
4) TE, LB (toss up)
5) S
6) DE
7) WR
8) CB
9) PR
10) KR
11) K, P (toss up)

I would put a 3rd WR at #5 with TE realizing that these two could be the same person. I would move LB down to #6. I would probably put OG/OT together as #1 and #3 realizing that there could be a lot of moving parts depending who they draft.

Quote: @"PurplePastor" said:
I would put a 3rd WR at #5 with TE realizing that these two could be the same person. I would move LB down to #6. I would probably put OG/OT together as #1 and #3 realizing that there could be a lot of moving parts depending who they draft.
Yeah, both OT and OG are needed.  It pretty much depends on where Reiff plays.  If he slides to guard, then we need a new tackle.

1. G, T, C (Rounds 1-7)
2. DT (Rounds 1-2)
3. WR/TE (Rounds 2-4)
4. RB (Rounds 4-7)
5. DE (Rounds 1-7)
6. LB (Rounds 3-5)
7. S (Rounds 4-7)
8. CB (Rounds 3-7)

MB, what do you think of Zylstra and Beebe?  Do you think either has a real shot at the #3?  Beebe did impress me, and Zylstra is a big strong dude.  I just don't know how they'll develop.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
MB, what do you think of Zylstra and Beebe?  Do you think either has a real shot at the #3?  Beebe did impress me, and Zylstra is a big strong dude.  I just don't know how they'll develop.
I like what I've seen from both of 'em, especially Beebe. Yeah, they got a shot to be WR3, but you have to approach the draft as if they won't. We're talking about undrafted guys here. It's like our DE depth. A lot of promising talent, but we're talking a 6th rounder, two 7th rounders and a UDFA. 

Personally, I think the roster is pretty well set at most positions except offensive line.  We could really use another starter there and another depth piece.

I would rank them like this:

1) Offensive line - OG and/or OT

It all depends on how the draft falls, but I'm hoping Dillard or Jonah Williams are available at 18.  If not, I would personally be fine taking Lindstrom there...  Go back and look at the first 40 picks in the draft from 3-5 years ago.  At least half the guys don't turn into anything, but Lindstrom looks like a Day 1 starter in our system.  If we can't trade back a bit, just take the guy.  He won't be there at 50.  The Vikings need to manuever themselves into position to grab an OL early in the draft.

2) Defensive line - DT or DE

I think we're fine with our current starters, but I'd look to find a future replacement for Griff or an upgrade at 3T.  I actually think the Stephen signing will really help our run defense...  I'd lean more to DE since Weatherly is a FA after the season and unfortunately I don't know if we can count on Everson long-term.

3) TE

Rudy is in the last year of his deal...  He's been a good player on the field and an even better one in the locker room and off the field.  Even if the Vikings re-sign him, they could use a move TE.  Hard to say if Conklin is that guy.  Morgan is purely a blocking TE that can surprise with a nice catch and run here and there.  If the Vikings let Rudolph leave after the season, it would be nice to have his replacement on the roster already.  Day 2/early Day 3 seems like the sweet spot at TE in this draft.

4) RB

I'm a fan of Dalvin Cook, but the offense isn't the same without the threat of him in the backfield.  He also hasn't been the most durable player in his young career.  The Vikings could use another guy to go with Mike Boone.

5) Safety

We have Dirty Harry, Anthony Harris, and Kearse?  Definitely could use a developmental guy here.

6) LB

Zimmer didn't seem too impressed with our LB depth last year.  But I can't see spending an early pick on a LB in this draft...  We're already paying Barr and Kendricks a sack of gold and have Gedeon and Wilson as proven depth.  I was high on Downs last year...  This isn't a very pressing need IMO.

7) WR

Same as LB...  we're paying our top 2 guys a ton of money.  Would it be nice to have a great 3rd option?  Sure...  but the team seems to like Beebe and he could surprise out of the slot.  The Vikings have had better luck lately with late round or UDFAs at WR.  The draft seems pretty deep here this year so the Vikings can probably wait until late Day 2 or Day 3 to address this need.

I would even draft a K or P, so QB would probably be last.  Of the later round guys, I like Minshew (and his moustache) a lot if we are looking for a developmental guy to groom into a potential starter.

I think the team should probably look at the contracts they want to terminate after 2019 and also get depth at some positions.
A guard who can compete to start would seem to be a high priority.
A safety or two is needed since they only had 3 until they signed Smith from the AAF who may not make the final 53.
A wide receiver or two is needed because counting on Treadwell is fool's gold.
A QB to develop would be nice even though they are developing Sloter.
A RB is probably higher on the list than expected since they have not done diddly besides bring back Abdullah.  They don't really have a thumper.
I would say DT is high on the list because Stephen is just another guy and the two 4th rounders they drafted are on the slow motion devlopment train.
In the end though, they need to let the draft come to them and not chase the draft.
When they took Randy Moss they did not need him.  They had Carter and Reed.
When they bypasses Myles Jack when the draft gave him to them to select Treadwell instead it has burned them.  If they had Jack then maybe they would have tried to trade Barr last year or not give him that extension this year?
If one of the defensive ends falls to #18 they would be fools to pass on Sweat or Gary or Ferrell.
After seeing what pass rushers got in new deals this off season, you better try and get cheap ones while you can because these dudes are costing as much as QBs.
This year, the draft is very strong on the defensive line at the top.
Another option would be DK Metcalf.  He may or may not be a player that many like and some may feel he is going to bust.  But why take a WR when you have Diggs and Thielen.  Metcalf is no Moss but if he is highest on their board then they should go for it.