Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kline $7.25mm in guaranteed $$
In crafting a deal that would be competitive enough to bring Josh Kline to Minnesota, the Vikings guaranteed $7.25 million to the recently-released Titans guard at the time he signed his three-year, $15.5 million contract. They’re at a point now where additional moves in free agency would likely come with additional cap maneuvering before they sign their draft class.
According to sources with access to NFLPA salary data, the Vikings had $3.003 million in cap space as of Tuesday morning, not yet including Dan Bailey’s $1 million deal. Once the kicker’s contract officially hits the books, and the figure displaces a minimum-salary player from the Vikings’ top 51 salaries (which are the only ones that count against a team’s cap in the offseason), the Vikings should have around $2.5 million in cap space left. If they kept the eight picks they currently have, without any trades — which seems farfetched, given Rick Spielman’s history — the Vikings would need around $2.94 million of cap space to sign their draft class.
In other words, if the Vikings make another addition (like former Jaguars lineman Tyler Shatley, who visited the team last week), they’ll have to think about making a move to clear space in the coming weeks, whether that’s trading away a veteran or restructuring a player’s deal.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-gave-...507664152/

OK... but we'd better win now.  I'm sure that we're not in trouble long-term (financially); but we're certainly limiting near-future flexibility.

Jeez...so close (to the cap) but seemingly so far away. Need a real good draft this year. Then hopefully these high salary guys will really show up to earn it. I'm still hopeful but not as optimistic as I want to be.

So... what does our OL look like (as of right now)? 
Reiff - Isadora - Elf - Kline - O'Neill
Depth: OG (none); OT (Collins, Hill, Bisnowaty, Norton); C (Edison)

Here's a thought: rather than ruining Reiff's career, how about they take one of their back-up OTs and try to make THEM into a Guard?  Just a thought.

Sooo... we obviously need to draft a start-now OG (since the team geniuses don't think that Isadora is capable of starting).  And then we'll need some depth.  But, honestly, if we draft a starting OG, we have our starters in place.  We'd have 1 OG for depth there... and 2 (possibly) start-able OTs (Collins and Hill).  We might need to get a OG who can also play Center (or a Center who can play OG) for depth there.

Quote: @pumpf said:

Here's a thought: rather than ruining Reiff's career, how about they take one of their back-up OTs and try to make THEM into a Guard?  Just a thought.

Sooo... we obviously need to draft a start-now OG (since the team geniuses don't think that Isadora is capable of starting).  And then we'll need some depth.  But, honestly, if we draft a starting OG, we have our starters in place.  We'd have 1 OG for depth there... and 2 (possibly) start-able OTs (Collins and Hill).  We might need to get a OG who can also play Center (or a Center who can play OG) for depth there.

Hopefully the Vikings will draft at least 2 offensive linemen in the first four rounds.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@pumpf said:

Hopefully the Vikings will draft at least 2 offensive linemen in the first four rounds.
Not just OL... OGs (or maybe a Center)!  We have plenty of OTs (although that doesn't mean any of them are any good, I do think that Collins and Hill are serviceable backups).

Quote: @pumpf said:

Pretty sure Collins is the starting left guard if the season started tomorrow. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:

MB is correct.  https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports...-and-nasty

I like Collins to take the job,  but I am not counting on it...i still want the team to draft interior OL help.  If that's a college tackle that projects to OG or a C that can play OG that might be enough,  but we need a lot of help bn there so  I hope Rick doesnt pencil in a guy coming off a year on IR as his starter and then consider the issue resolved.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pumpf said:

MB is correct.  https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports...-and-nasty

While I like the concept, there is always the thought, he couldn't beat out Tom Compton, lurking in the back of my mind. I'm with Jimmy. I would also like to see a guard taken in the first three rounds. Though I wouldn't be opposed to taking a replacement for Reiff taken in the first round, if the right guy is available.