Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mock Draft Machine
Hey, so TDN has joined the mock draft simulation madness. It's far better than all the others. At least it's professionally designed. Only complaint is that you can only use their rankings and they don't sort best available by position, which is weird and stupid. But it runs beautifully. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

Here's a 4-rounder that I did this morning, with the caveat that I knew TDN was higher on Lindstrom than most and lower on Dillard than most. With that information I took Lindstrom knowing that I might be able to get Dillard at 50, which is exactly what happened. But this will NOT happen in the real draft. If it did, I'd take this draft a run like a thief in the night. 

1. Chris Lindstrom, G
2. Andre Dillard, LT
3. Khalen Saunders, DT
4. Devine Ozigbo, RB

Depending on how the draft unfolds, it might not be out of the question to get Dillard at 18 and Lindstrom at 50.  I have a feeling Lindstrom will go earlier than that though...  the Vikings may need to move up from their 2nd round pick if they go a different direction in the 1st round.  Either way, it's not entirely unrealistic that we could add those 2 players in the draft.
Great mock!
BOOM

That’s a very good looking simulator.  It’s too bad they don’t have more big boards
in there yet as it’s kind of repetitive.

I ran through the simulator 4 times, and they burned through
all the OL I liked by the time we got to 50, so I felt like I was reaching with
the 2nd and 3rd picks to take OL.  Dillard consistently went around our pick ± a
few spots.  Lindstrom was never available
at 50.

Dillard is looking like the top O-lineman at this point.  I do not expect him to get to 18.

Quote: @medaille said:
That’s a very good looking simulator.  It’s too bad they don’t have more big boards
in there yet as it’s kind of repetitive.

I ran through the simulator 4 times, and they burned through
all the OL I liked by the time we got to 50, so I felt like I was reaching with
the 2nd and 3rd picks to take OL.  Dillard consistently went around our pick ± a
few spots.  Lindstrom was never available
at 50.
That's the thing with TDN. They are higher on Lindstrom than the consensus, frequently mocking him between 15 and 25, when I'd say consensus is probably 25 to 40. And they're much farther off on Dillard than the consensus. They recently ranked their top 5 tackles and he wasn't among them. Daniel Jeremiah, on the other hand, has Dillard as the best tackle in the draft.

It is repetitive and sorta forces you into their line of thinking, but one thing I did find refreshing was that it was more challenging to draft offensive linemen...and probably more realistic for a position that everyone needs. In other words, you don't see 1st round talents available in the 4th and 5th rounds like you do in some of these. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

That's the thing with TDN. They are higher on Lindstrom than the consensus, frequently mocking him between 15 and 25, when I'd say consensus is probably 25 to 40. And they're much farther off on Dillard than the consensus. They recently ranked their top 5 tackles and he wasn't among them. Daniel Jeremiah, on the other hand, has Dillard as the best tackle in the draft.

It is repetitive and sorta forces you into their line of thinking, but one thing I did find refreshing was that it was more challenging to draft offensive linemen...and probably more realistic for a position that everyone needs. In other words, you don't see 1st round talents available in the 4th and 5th rounds like you do in some of these. 
If I was a team that ran a ZBS, I'd have him slotted between 15-25.  He has the size (height and arm length) and athleticism to be a Day 1 starter in that type of scheme.  If there are a run on OTs and DL, I would have no problem with the Vikings grabbing him at 18. 
Maybe they could slide back to 24 if the Raiders are looking to grab a falling pass rusher, but then you're dropping behind the Seahawks and Texans who could look to go OL early.  I don't think he'll make it out of the first round...  the Packers or Rams would definitely look at him hard given their needs (Rams just lost Saffold and this guy could plug right into his spot).

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Depending on how the draft unfolds, it might not be out of the question to get Dillard at 18 and Lindstrom at 50.  I have a feeling Lindstrom will go earlier than that though...  the Vikings may need to move up from their 2nd round pick if they go a different direction in the 1st round.  Either way, it's not entirely unrealistic that we could add those 2 players in the draft.
Great mock!
BOOM
If they decide Lindstrom is the guy you probably have to take him at #18. He will go somewhere between 21 & 32. I'm beginning to think that if MN is in love with a specific OT they will attempt to move up a few spots to grab them. If Miami would do #13 for #18 and a conditional 3rd (could be a comp pick) in 2019 that may be a good trade up partner. Unless something changes between now and draft day that would virtually lock you into either Taylor or Dillard.   

That simulator seems to be a step up in technology from the eight ball used by Rick, and the crystal ball used by Zim.!

I'd rather draft a guy a bit too high than sit back in Day 2 and watch a run "that we didn't anticipate" occur again. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'd rather draft a guy a bit too high than sit back in Day 2 and watch a run "that we didn't anticipate" occur again. 
Exactly.  The Vikings have painted themselves into a corner by keeping Barr and Griffen. 

If they really like a specific offensive lineman, they need to put aside any outdated draft rules that say you can't draft position "X" in these slots and just get their guy the first chance they get.

Don't screw around and hope a couple of the OGs you like drop to 50.  They need at least one Day 1 starter (and probably two) along the offensive line.