Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone really believe Kyler Murray will be the #1 pick
I really don’t see it happening. IMO he is just too small. When drafted he will be the shortest QB in the NFL.  Russell Wilson is 5’11”, Drew Brees is 6’0” and Tyrod Taylor 6’1”. There is a possibility he could be great but I cannot believe there is a GM out there willing to risk his job and his teams near future on a 5’10”.  I definetly think he will be drafted, maybe toward the end of the first round but at #1 just seems too risky.  

I have my doubts about Murray (mostly his character), but he measured much taller (5-10) and heavier (over 200) than the 5-8, 180 many were fearing. KK in Arizona said in the past that if he had the 1st pick in the draft, he'd take Kyler Murray. It's believable because he's a perfect fit for what KK likes to do. 

I think it's believable. But it may be just SO believable that it drives the value of that top pick through the roof...for a team who didn't just draft a QB last year. 

Don’t count out the Raiders, they’ve been filling holes prior to the draft aggressively...  :o

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I have my doubts about Murray (mostly his character), but he measured much taller (5-10) and heavier (over 200) than the 5-8, 180 many were fearing. KK in Arizona said in the past that if he had the 1st pick in the draft, he'd take Kyler Murray. It's believable because he's a perfect fit for what KK likes to do. 

I think it's believable. But it may be just SO believable that it drives the value of that top pick through the roof...for a team who didn't just draft a QB last year. 
I understand your first point, that Kingsbury might draft him, but I don't know what you mean in your last paragraph - sounds like you are talking about a team trading up to pick Murray?
My thinking is that the Cardinals might pick Murray #1, but not necessarily any other team, so if Kingsbury is bluffing to build trade interest, everyone is going to say, "Go ahead, pick him." I think he either goes #1 to Arizona or drops to much later in round 1. It's not just size or character, it's also whether 1 season in the Big 12 really shows whether he can read NFL coverages.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:

I understand your first point, that Kingsbury might draft him, but I don't know what you mean in your last paragraph - sounds like you are talking about a team trading up to pick Murray?
That's exactly what I meant. Whether KK wants him or not, it's in his best interest for everyone to believe he does. Remember, there are teams (the current Rams and the 90s Cowboys for example) that have been built on the big hauls of draft picks acquired from a team looking for that ONE player.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:

That's exactly what I meant. Whether KK wants him or not, it's in his best interest for everyone to believe he does. Remember, there are teams (the current Rams and the 90s Cowboys for example) that have been built on the big hauls of draft picks acquired from a team looking for that ONE player.
OK, I see what you mean. I don't really think it will work - no other team seems as impressed with Murray as Arizona - but they can try.

@MaroonBells said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:

OK, I see what you mean. I don't really think it will work - no other team seems as impressed with Murray as Arizona - but they can try.
He has plenty of believers. 

@MaroonBells said:

My thinking is that the Cardinals might pick Murray #1, but not necessarily any other team, so if Kingsbury is bluffing to build trade interest, everyone is going to say, "Go ahead, pick him." I think he either goes #1 to Arizona or drops to much later in round 1. It's not just size or character, it's also whether 1 season in the Big 12 really shows whether he can read NFL coverages.

Are you saying Mayfield's 2 years in the Big 12 taught him how to read NFL Defenses but Murray only starting 1 year didn't?

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
I really don’t see it happening. IMO he is just too small. When drafted he will be the shortest QB in the NFL.  Russell Wilson is 5’11”, Drew Brees is 6’0” and Tyrod Taylor 6’1”. There is a possibility he could be great but I cannot believe there is a GM out there willing to risk his job and his teams near future on a 5’10”.  I definetly think he will be drafted, maybe toward the end of the first round but at #1 just seems too risky.  

The last time I saw this much hype for a short QB was that "sure thing" guy out of A&M...I can't recall the name.  You know....the guy who had "it"...that set of "intangibles" that were off the chart that can't be coached...you know, the guy with that "winning attitude."  Oh, heck...what was his name.... Wink
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...-kingsbury

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:

Are you saying Mayfield's 2 years in the Big 12 taught him how to read NFL Defenses but Murray only starting 1 year didn't?
Probably about twice as well - and Mayfield was a gamble, too. I'm not saying Murray is a definite failure, but he has attributes that sure don't feel like a #1 overall pick.