Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tough decision coming for the Vikings . . .
Even without Barr and Richardson, the Vikings now have only about $5.5M in cap space. Likely cut candidates considering their 2019 cap space and dead money are:

Griffen: $11.7 and $1.2
Rudy: $7.6 and $0
Sendejo: $5.5 and $0
Remmers: $6.4 and $1.8
Total cap space created: $31-$3=$28

Waynes has a big cap hit (between $9 and $10) and $0 dead money but I left him out. Harrison Smith also has a healthy cap number and small dead money but he is not going anywhere.

Other big cap hits that could be restructured to create space are Linval at $10.7 and Reiff at $11.7. (Need to find some money for Thielen. He needs to be paid.)

UFAs we may want back (I’m assuming Barr is gone):
Richardson
Sherels
Easton
Tom Johnson
All but Richardson should be pretty cheap one year deals.  

UFAs unlikely to return:
L. Murray
Brett Jones
Ameer
Compton
Aldrick
Iloka
Siemian
Bailey?

This will be an interesting off-season and I expect we will be a very different team next year.

[Image: pyefgfbu9145.jpeg]
Can we get started already...!?   B)

Anthony Harris is also a FA. If we're releasing Sendejo and letting Iloka walk, we will probably try to keep Harris.
Among your "Unlikely to return", there are a few which might stay: Bailey, Aldrick Robinson, Brett Jones (depends on what the new OL coach thinks), and given Roc Thomas' troubles, Ameer Abdullah.
As for Thielen - the Vikings don't need to increase his salary this year. He is "getting paid"...his contract actually raises his 2019 salary by $2M based on what he did in 2018.

Griffen, Rudolph, Sendejo, Remmers and Waynes will likely not be on the team next year. Some will be traded, some will be released. Maybe one might renegotiate. But I feel fairly confident that these are the tough business decisions that Spielman was talking about in his last interview. Take them all off and you're looking at roughly $40M in cap space. 

I think this will be used to sign Richardson, Harris and sign an IOL (Saffold, Morse, Paradis) in free agency. 

I also think that the draft will impact other veterans. For example, if we're able to somehow acquire a guard and a tackle (say, Saffold and a LT like Dillard) I can see them trading or releasing Reiff after June 1st when his hit diminishes.

I think while this is possible, it's unlikely. Reiff is still an OK player on a team that needs them. I keep going back to that hole at SAM. If a guy like Devin Bush is there at 18, don't be surprised if that's the pick, especially if we're able to land Richardson and one of the aforementioned IOLs. 

As far as Thielen goes, extending him could actually save us money on the '19 cap. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Anthony Harris is also a FA. If we're releasing Sendejo and letting Iloka walk, we will probably try to keep Harris.
Among your "Unlikely to return", there are a few which might stay: Bailey, Aldrick Robinson, Brett Jones (depends on what the new OL coach thinks), and given Roc Thomas' troubles, Ameer Abdullah.
As for Thielen - the Vikings don't need to increase his salary this year. He is "getting paid"...his contract actually raises his 2019 salary by $2M based on what he did in 2018.
i think Ant Harris is an RFA. I expect he will be back. I put a “?” on Bailey. Don’t know what to think there. The rest I think are gone. I don’t see us just walking away from Waynes. He is expensive but not out of line with his value. I think they do need to find money for Thielen after his 2018 season. We shall see.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
i think Ant Harris is an RFA. I expect he will be back. I put a “?” on Bailey. Don’t know what to think there. The rest I think are gone. I don’t see us just walking away from Waynes. He is expensive but not out of line with his value. I think they do need to find money for Thielen after his 2018 season. We shall see.
I didn't realize it but Harris is indeed a RFA so there's some time on that.

I would be very surprised if Waynes is back. It's just such a big chunk of money the team can use to improve elsewhere. And at a position where they can afford it. It just makes too much sense. And the fact that the Vikings were shopping him at the combine confirms to me that something will happen. It's just a matter of what we get in return. In other words I don't think this is a situation where the Vikings will just keep him if they don't get what they want. They'll just take the best offer. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

I would be very surprised if Waynes is back. It's just such a big chunk of money the team can use to improve elsewhere. And at a position where they can afford it. It just makes too much sense. And the fact that the Vikings were shopping him at the combine confirms to me that something will happen. It's just a matter of what we get in return. In other words I don't think this is a situation where the Vikings will just keep him if they don't get what they want. They'll just take the best offer. 
I doubt that Waynes is moved now with a likely 4 game suspension looming for Hill and Hughes coming off an ACL injury.  That would leave our secondary thin early in the season  unless they sign a FA CB first then swap Waynes for a pick

Quote: @"Sir Viking Bob VWO" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

I doubt that Waynes is moved now with a likely 4 game suspension looming for Hill and Hughes coming off an ACL injury.  That would leave our secondary thin early in the season  unless they sign a FA CB first then swap Waynes for a pick
I think you're right that it does change the picture a little bit, but I don't think it necessarily prevents it. Could be wrong.

The starting three would be Rhodes, Hughes and Alexander. Most teams would love to have that starting group. Hill is the only viable backup and that's now a question, but to me that just means CB moves up a round or two in the draft. From 5th or 6th round developmental pick to a 3rd or 4th round contributor. 

@"Sir Viking Bob VWO" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

I think you're right that it does change the picture a little bit, but I don't think it necessarily prevents it. Could be wrong.

The starting three would be Rhodes, Hughes and Alexander. Most teams would love to have that starting group. Hill is the only viable backup and that's now a question, but to me that just means CB moves up a round or two in the draft. From 5th or 6th round developmental pick to a 3rd or 4th round contributor. 
I guess it all depends on Hughes' health... I can see us signing a FA CB and then trading Waynes to set us up better for the draft and the salary cap.  Ricks job is on the line here so he has to make the right call and hopefully he does!

Griffen, Rudolph, Sendejo, Remmers and Waynes will likely not be on the team next year. Some will be traded, some will be released. Maybe one might renegotiate. But I feel fairly confident that these are the tough business decisions that Spielman was talking about in his last interview. Take them all off and you're looking at roughly $40M in cap space. 

I think this will be used to sign Richardson, Harris and sign an IOL (Saffold, Morse, Paradis) in free agency. 

I also think that the draft will impact other veterans. For example, if we're able to somehow acquire a guard and a tackle (say, Saffold and a LT like Dillard) I can see them trading or releasing Reiff after June 1st when his hit diminishes.

I think while this is possible, it's unlikely. Reiff is still an OK player on a team that needs them. I keep going back to that hole at SAM. If a guy like Devin Bush is there at 18, don't be surprised if that's the pick, especially if we're able to land Richardson and one of the aforementioned IOLs. 

As far as Thielen goes, extending him could actually save us money on the '19 cap. 
I actually talked with someone about Reiff the other day and if the Vikings past actions mean anything, they won't want to release him with a post June-1 designation. They'd still net nearly $6M in cap space in 2019 and would clean his full $13M off of the 2020 cap. Post June-1 you would keep a little over $4M in 2020.