Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Moves
No, I'm not going to dance.  I have a zero for 100+ record on moves the Vikings should make, so there is that...

Warning - I don't know the cap implications like some.  Take with salt.

1st Rd - BPA - I think we'll need a interior DLine guy for loss of Sheldon and aging Linval. There should be some good players fall to us.  OL is the other desperate need.

I have a Al for Metcalf, so as gunshy as I am, because of Tread, Patterson (who I still like in limited role), I would love to take a shot with him in the 2nd.  I know, I know...so many other needs.  Additionally, As good as Theilen is, he isn't a big guy, nor is Diggs and when they go up to get 50/50 balls, they can more easily come down hurt.  Toughness and courage is not a antidote to injuries.  Need a big guy!  JMHO

Remmers - trade, or cut (trade unlikely - not sure if he garners any comp); try to sign Zeitler, or another top 3 OL FA and draft OL, inside and out.  Is Billy Turner any good?
Sendejo - trade (likely nothing more then a 5th(?) if anything with all the Ss on the market)
Rudolph - keep and draft his eventual replacement.  I'm not sure where all the hate for Kyle comes from?  He has one of the best catch %, if I'm not mistaken. He isn't a YAC guy and pressure up the middle often takes Rudy out of the pass game.  Fix that and I bet his numbers jump back up.
Reif - keep.  Leadership, experience, mentorship, decent.
Griffen - trade, or cut.  I think Weatherly is ready to show up for a contract year(?).  Move Hunter to right if he can do it from that side, too and put Weatherly on the left.

Trade for Rosen unless price is too high.  He can sit behind (not play unless injury) Cousins and learn.  if we don't like him in 2 years, show case (shine the penny, polish the turd) and brag about his growth and "reluctantly" trade him, ala Bellicheck.  More to it than that, but the philosophy is sound-ish.

FA moves (all are made without over paying, of course)

Zeitler (or, another top 3 FA OL) - No explanation neccessary
Mosley - if not Mosley (Kendricks moves outside) due to price then Wright (Kendricks stays inside) if price is right.  Weakside can be kept and battled for between Gedeon and Wilson (both, whom I like).

Bored at work and I'm in new year anticipation mode.  This is the year!

Always love to talk football... but I've got some concerns with some of your ideas.

Metcalf seems (from what I've heard) to be all straight-line speed... and not a complete receiver (i.e. Troy Williamson).  I don't like what I've heard about him.  As for Theilen, he's 6'2"... which I always thought was a pretty good size for a receiver.  I don't think of him as "small".

I would love to get a stud DL at 18.  As much as OL is a "need", I don't think you can get a plug-and-play OL very often anymore.  They have to be developed.  And the miss rate on first round OL seems to get worse each year.  Might as well get one a little bit lower (value-wise) and try to coach 'em up.  But not too far down in the draft: 2nd or 3rd (at worst).  Our trenches DEFINITELY need shoring up.  If Easton comes back good to go, all we need is a RG.  

I agree with "getting rid" of the guys you listed- either because they are done... or because of their cap numbers.  Our offense doesn't need a quality TE, so I don't know why we should worry about whether or not we have one.  Morgan is more than adequate as a receiver... and he's a great blocker.  Give him more playing time.  Remmers is done.  Sendejo won't get a sniff from anyone, because- as you pointed out- there are already alot of "good" safeties in the market.  Teams want coverage safeties, not "thumpers".  Love EG... but it's better to get some value for him now... than wait until it's too late (and we overpaid him in the meantime).  I like Reiff; I don't think he's bad at all.  

But trading for Rosen??? Why?  We have our "franchise" QB... and we spent alot of money to bring in a future QB (Sloter).  I don't get this take at all.

pumpf

Your Metcalf concerns are valid.  No issues with your take.  As I said, it's a Al-on for him.  Size, Speed, etc...  If he has rocks for hands, and the agility of a sloth then I would definitely eat that bullet.  

Your confidence in Easton is something I don't have.  I don't really remember him playing, therefore, I don't know if he plugs in when he gets back.  Not to mention, the injury after effects/affects.  Need draftees to hedge that bet, which you do mention.

Rosen is another shot at potential untapped.  If reporting behind his availability is true I think the Cards are throwing out the baby with the bath water.  Something is amiss with his possible departure.  Football acuity?  I disagree that we have our Franchise QB.  I hope he does become more confident in his second year, but that's just not what I saw.  Of course there are numerous other factors involved in a QBs success, so I am not writing him off.  He may have failed on plays, IMO, but the team as a whole failed on several levels. However, I just prepare for a possible letdown and I think Rosen offers more than Sloter or Semien, or any other relatively cheap FA.

Appreciate your opinion!

Quote: @"NorseGods" said:
pumpf

Your Metcalf concerns are valid.  No issues with your take.  As I said, it's a Al-on for him.  Size, Speed, etc...  If he has rocks for hands, and the agility of a sloth then I would definitely eat that bullet.  

Your confidence in Easton is something I don't have.  I don't really remember him playing, therefore, I don't know if he plugs in when he gets back.  Not to mention, the injury after effects/affects.  Need draftees to hedge that bet, which you do mention.

Rosen is another shot at potential untapped.  If reporting behind his availability is true I think the Cards are throwing out the baby with the bath water.  Something is amiss with his possible departure.  Football acuity?  I disagree that we have our Franchise QB.  I hope he does become more confident in his second year, but that's just not what I saw.  Of course there are numerous other factors involved in a QBs success, so I am not writing him off.  He may have failed on plays, IMO, but the team as a whole failed on several levels. However, I just prepare for a possible letdown and I think Rosen offers more than Sloter or Semien, or any other relatively cheap FA.

Appreciate your opinion!
I saw something today that said Metcalf's 3-cone drill time was slower than Tom Brady's.  I don't know what the actual numbers are... just thought I'd throw that out there.  As for Easton... I don't know either.  The team seemed to like him... and I don't remember cursing his name (like I did with Hill, Compton and Remmers).  But he may not be the long-term solution, either.  But (maybe) we can get by with him while someone else develops?

As for Rosen, I don't think he'd come all that cheaply; and I would hate to give up draft capital to stockpile another young QB when we already have Sloter waiting in the wings (unproven as he is... just like Rosen).

Nice to talk football, isn't it? 

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"NorseGods" said:
pumpf

Appreciate your opinion!
I saw something today that said Metcalf's 3-cone drill time was slower than Tom Brady's.  I don't know what the actual numbers are... just thought I'd throw that out there.  As for Easton... I don't know either.  The team seemed to like him... and I don't remember cursing his name (like I did with Hill, Compton and Remmers).  But he may not be the long-term solution, either.  But (maybe) we can get by with him while someone else develops?

As for Rosen, I don't think he'd come all that cheaply; and I would hate to give up draft capital to stockpile another young QB when we already have Sloter waiting in the wings (unproven as he is... just like Rosen).

Nice to talk football, isn't it? 
Agree.  Slower than Brady's!?!?!  Gud lawd!  Letting someone else find out if he's a sleeper is probably in our best interest then.  Thanks for the input/info.  Admittedly, I didn't even check his other times before, or after my initial post.  I guess I now know what a true Al-on is... 

As for Rosen, if he doesn't come cheap, then I'm not down with the move.  I may have forgotten to say it, but that move should only be made if risk mitigation favors the move, i.e. cost vs. loss.  I wouldn't send anything more than a 5th, and I would hope I could do it for a 6th.  I agree with you, though, that is unlikely the price for a 1st round pick just last year.

Funny thing, though... when we had a pretty decent year, i didn't feel the urge/need to come in here and talk it.  Now that we appear to be in a struggling period again, I'm in here talking football.  My wife always tells me I think I know it all...