Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've got a feeling we're going to be in for some pretty significant roster changes...
Barr
Richardson
Dejo
Rudolph
E. Griffen
Waynes or Rhodes
Remmers
Compton

Lots of names potentially in play...

I'm fine with replacing most of those.

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
I'm fine with replacing most of those.
That Chicago D performance was dreadful. Granted Kendricks and I think XR was out too. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Barr
Richardson
Dejo
Rudolph
E. Griffen
Waynes or Rhodes
Remmers
Compton

Lots of names potentially in play...
Most should be considered for removal. I'm actually afraid that the team will sentimentally keep some vets like Griffen and Sendejo - maybe even overpay for Barr and/or Richardson - and not spend to address other needs.

They don't have to move on from too many players actually.
They can do this which most of the players getting restructured should be willing to accept as it gives them an immediate check and takes no money out their pockets in any years going forward.

Start with 7.1 mil according to overthecap which may be high

Restructures
Reiff gets 4.5 mil converted to a signing bonus. Saves 3 mil in cap space.
Joseph gets 6 mil converted to a signing bonus. Saves 3 mil in cap space.
Griffen gets 4 mil converted to a signing bonus. Saves 4.5 mil in cap space.
Smith gets 3 mil converted to a signing bonus. Saves 2 mil in cap space.
Hunter gets 8 mil converted to a signing bonus. Saves 6.4 mil in cap space.

Releases
Sendejo gets released.  Saves 5.5 mil in cap space.
Remmers gets released.  Saves 4.5 mil in cap space.

Trades
Waynes.  Saves 9.1 mil in cap space

Total cap space after these moves is 45.1 mil
They can restructure Remmers by giving him a 3 mil signing bonus too which would lower the cap space to 42.6 mil.
In this scenario they can hang onto Waynes for as long as necessary.
What could you do with 45 mil in cap space in free agency?

I suspect Waynes will be gone to the Raiders.  Mayock knows Viking personnel and he knows he's not going to get the quality of cornerback that he can get with Waynes with the 27th pick.  With the savings in cap space, Zimmer will be able to resign Richardson.  Barr is gone...we just can't afford him. 

That said, I think the Vikings will go Bradbury at 18 and swing back around at 27 with Risner.  Now, you might think I'm crazy, but I don't think Rick will be done there.  I could see him going after Cajuste or David Edwards, each of which could play inside or RT.  So, with trading Waynes, I believe Rick will draft 3 OL in the Vikes first 4 picks (rounds 1-3).  With the decision to draft OL, rather pay big bucks for FAs, The Vikings could allow Barr to walk and capitalize in Comp pick(s) because he'll demand a huge contract.  If he decides not to bolt, the Vikings 'might' afford to keep him since they didn't spend huge bucks on a Roger Saffold or similar free agent.

We can take the hit losing Waynes much easier than any other player.  Hill will be another year more experienced and Hughes should be back sometime during the season.  

LT - Reiff
LG - Risner
OC - Bradbury
RG - Edwards (I really like Edwards at RT long term)
RT - O'Neill

Reserves - Best of Elflein, Easton, Collins, Hill, Bisnowaty

LT - O'Neill
LG - Risner
OC - Bradbury
RG - Elflein
RT - Edwards

I would be absoutely shocked if they get a 1 for Waynes.  Probably a 3 or 2 at best.

Bradbury at 18 is a stretch.  If we trade back to late in the first I could see it but he has really short arms for the NFL and I think he is more of a middle 2nd target than a 1st.  Measurables get you into the first and he just doesnt have them.

I think we need to really look at DT in the first if Dillard and Lindstrom are both gone or trade back.

Spielman hasn't been big on trading back but if we are going to fix the line it might be the best option, as the value is going to be late in the first round and into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  We could add 2 guys on the line for our 18th pick which I'd rather have someone like Risner, Cajuste and Erik McCoy in the 3rd than Bradbury as a reach at 18.

I have a feeling that the defense is going to be significantly different next season. The OL is going to be different too. Ultimately, there are some players they can't afford to keep. Some because they haven't earned it and some because they need to change what isn't working.

I’d say goodbye to Dejo in a heartbeat. In my opinion Harris is a significantly better player. Sendejo is $5.5m free in cap space with no hit. This is a no brainer to me. It’s too bad about the injury or maybe they could have gotten a late round pick for him. He developed into a decent starting safety but simply isn’t as good as Harris. I consider Harris underrated. We have viable depth already on the roster.

Waynes makes sense for trade as his $9m salary would give a lot more flexibility when freed up and he’s the most attractive player we have at a deep position with friendly contract. I’m hesitant about this one as I like him but the move does make some sense.

I’d cut Remmers yesterday. I just don’t see the needed performance from him. -$1.8 dead soace but frees up $6.35m. This gives some cash to work with.

Treadwell - I’m not sure he makes the team if a guy can step up and take his spot but he’s cheap. There’s also no financial incentive to move on as the dead space is uqual to his salary. 

Everson Griffin - I’d try to get something but it’s unlikely anyone will bite. He’s a cap casualty. His health aside, he’s simply too expensive when we have a guy already on the roster who’s shown he can start in Weatherly. They’d only have a dead space of -$1.2m while dropping his monster cap eating salary of $11.75m.

These few moves would leave us about $32m in space and no worries about replacements other than possibly Waynes. 

I see this as a good spot going forward.