Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting perspective on Foles and NFL QB landscape today...
Nick Foles Might Not Get the Big Payday Everyone Expects

As Nick Foles led the Philadelphia Eagles on a Super Bowl run in 2017 and then a playoff run in 2018, the natural assumption was that the signal-caller was making himself a very rich man. 
After all, Foles plays quarterback in a quarterback-centric era within a quarterback-obsessed league. He should be in his prime based on his age (he just turned 30), and we know NFL teams drool over perceived winners. Foles won 10 of his 13 starts for the Eagles the last two years, including four in the playoffs, and he's one of just six active quarterbacks with the words "Super Bowl MVP" on his resume. 
But the market for Foles might not be as grand as many of us figured when Foles was working his magic back in December and January. 
Here's why...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

All adds up to: Foles is more valuable in Philadelphia than anywhere else. This all means that, in addition to Foles' possible salary, his trade value to the Eagles is not as high as they might wish. It's why I think they should, and might, consider trading Wentz instead. It will be interesting to watch.

So you're telling me a superbowl mvp can't get a sniff but clip board crapola in niners country is the second coming of brady----right

In reality Foles has only had 1 good season in the NFL when he threw 27 TD's and 2 int's in 2013.  Other than that year his numbers are either bad or just average.  Even in his super bowl MVP season he had just pedestrian type stats until he caught fire in the playoffs and he completed every pass with a 10% chance of being completed.  Teams are not going to break the bank for a guy that may go on a 5 game run and throw 14 TD passes and int and go 5-0 then only to go through a 5 game stretch and throw 3 TD's and 5 ints and the team goes 1-4. When hes good he is good, but when his magic is gone he is just average.  

Quote: @"Purple Haze" said:
In reality Foles has only had 1 good season in the NFL when he threw 27 TD's and 2 int's in 2013.  Other than that year his numbers are either bad or just average.  Even in his super bowl MVP season he had just pedestrian type stats until he caught fire in the playoffs and he completed every pass with a 10% chance of being completed.  Teams are not going to break the bank for a guy that may go on a 5 game run and throw 14 TD passes and int and go 5-0 then only to go through a 5 game stretch and throw 3 TD's and 5 ints and the team goes 1-4. When hes good he is good, but when his magic is gone he is just average.  
You would think. I'd be willing to bet some team out there would be willing to out bid another and break from what seems norm.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"Purple Haze" said:
You would think. I'd be willing to bet some team out there would be willing to out bid another and break from what seems norm.

But we all pick out trends and it's harder to know when they will stop. QBs with just a bit of good production, like Brock Osweiler, Mike Glennon, and Jimmy Garropolo have been getting surprising deals in free agency or trades, and that trend has gone back as far as...Matt Robinson to the Broncos, in my memory, maybe further. So that makes you think Foles would get nice offers. But maybe teams have finally figured out that rarely works out.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Purple Haze" said:

But we all pick out trends and it's harder to know when they will stop. QBs with just a bit of good production, like Brock Osweiler, Mike Glennon, and Jimmy Garropolo have been getting surprising deals in free agency or trades, and that trend has gone back as far as...Matt Robinson to the Broncos, in my memory, maybe further. So that makes you think Foles would get nice offers. But maybe teams have finally figured out that rarely works out.
I don't know. Just wouldn't surprise me is all I'm saying. How many of them others did win a Super Bowl MVP?  Maybe not break the bank money but good money I'm sure. Much better then Case money probably. 

I agree with Haze a bit - except I think he will get paid because that's the nature of this time of the year...

He's been in these shoes before. He left Philly years back and was given great opportunities to succeed. He never lived up to his expectations and almost washed out of the league. He almost retired. Resigning with Philly and going on that Super Bowl run, it's like he stepped into a time machine...

He's right back where he was. I don't believe it's unreasonable to look at his past and be concerned about paying him or committing to him long term. On the other hand though, it only takes a couple teams to skyrocket his negotiating terms and it's easy to see a desperate team take a chance.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Purple Haze" said:

The trend with Foles seems to be the situation needs to be just right.  Foles big year in 2013 was Chip Kelly's first year coaching his high speed explosive offense.  Foles excelled in an offense no NFL defense had ever had to deal with.  The second season it didnt go so well and Foles was shipped off to St Louis were he went to obscurity until his return to Philly and the RPO.  Back in a new style  offense that the league hasnt had to deal with much he excelled again. The two teams with the biggest need for a QB salary cap space becomes an issue.   Miami, who reportedly is releasing their QB  only has 9 million in cap space, Jacksonville is over the cap and Washington owes Alex Smith a ton of money and he may never play again.  The Giants may be interested but they too are below league average for salary cap space.  If I were Foles I might just go the Sam Bradford  route. I know that Bradford was on the Eagles roster when he was traded to Minnesota for a good payday, but he was paid because of injury.  Foles should go into free agency, and if he doesnt get the money he wants just sit out, stay in shape and the first  team with an injury at QB will then pick up the phone and throw out the $$$$.

Quote: @"Purple Haze" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"Purple Haze" said:

The trend with Foles seems to be the situation needs to be just right.  Foles big year in 2013 was Chip Kelly's first year coaching his high speed explosive offense.  Foles excelled in an offense no NFL defense had ever had to deal with.  The second season it didnt go so well and Foles was shipped off to St Louis were he went to obscurity until his return to Philly and the RPO.  Back in a new style  offense that the league hasnt had to deal with much he excelled again. The two teams with the biggest need for a QB salary cap space becomes an issue.   Miami, who reportedly is releasing their QB  only has 9 million in cap space, Jacksonville is over the cap and Washington owes Alex Smith a ton of money and he may never play again.  The Giants may be interested but they too are below league average for salary cap space.  If I were Foles I might just go the Sam Bradford  route. I know that Bradford was on the Eagles roster when he was traded to Minnesota for a good payday, but he was paid because of injury.  Foles should go into free agency, and if he doesnt get the money he wants just sit out, stay in shape and the first  team with an injury at QB will then pick up the phone and throw out the $$$$.

Definition of a backup QB.  Can excel until defense get some tape on them.  Even in the superbowl run, he was very pedestrian until the NFCCG where Pederson uncorked a new offense based on what Foles did well.  It caught us off-guard as well as the Pats.  Given some film of that offense, I doubt the Pats or our D would have gotten torched like that.