Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now THIS is how you negotiate a contract
Adam Thielen's agent, Blake Baratz: 
"I think everyone knows that Adam deserves a new contract. It's not as simple as just doing a high-level extension in a vacuum. There's other pieces and the Vikings have done a phenomenal job of managing their salary cap. Rob Brzezinski is one of the best in the game and what he does and it's not just, 'How do we reward Adam Thielen?' It's, 'how do we put our 53-man roster together that also allows for us to have continued success into the future?' I understand that and I have a job to do and Rob and Rick and the Vikings have a job to do and we respect what each does. It doesn't mean we always have to agree. But we respect what each other has to do as our profession and I have a lot of respect for those guys.
They've built an unbelievable organization. They've built a really, really good locker room, which I don't think people realize that's not the case everywhere. And this team has had a lot of really good things in place for it. And I know they want to take care of Adam and I know they want Adam there and I know they want to reward Adam and what exactly that looks like and when it happens I can't speak to you, but I'm cautiously optimistic that everyone will come around and do the right thing.
No one's being greedy. Everyone understands the situation and it's really in their court. I mean, he has a couple years left on his deal. He's earned a significant pay raise. Not to mention when he's off the field, he might be one of the best people in the entire National Football League and represents the city and the organization and the state and, frankly, the entire region unbelievably. So if it was me sitting in Rick's chair or Ziggy or Mark's chair or Rob Brzezinki's chair it would be easy to write the check to him, but I understand it doesn't happen in a vacuum. So we're hopeful that it can get done. That's all I can say."
https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-viki...129267627/

huh, I always thought “bitch pay me” was a good opening line. 

Unfortunately a rare perspective in this industry...

AT will get paid his due no doubt. 

I'm just waiting for this team and all its good will in the locker room to hit pay dirt already - before they bury me in the dirt. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I'm just waiting for this team and all its good will in the locker room to hit pay dirt already - before they bury me in the dirt. 
This

Honestly, with "a couple years on his contract" they don't have to push. A lot can happen in two years.  Is he the only guy out there that "out played his contracted salary?"

Personally rather have someone outplay their money.......than "underplay" their money.

We're just used to these guys.
[Image: t64xozl0urdx.gif]

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@purplefaithful said:

This

Honestly, with "a couple years on his contract" they don't have to push. A lot can happen in two years.  Is he the only guy out there that "out played his contracted salary?"

Personally rather have someone outplay their money.......than "underplay" their money.
That's why they are pushing though....a lot can happen and the agent wants to get his while the iron is hot,  not wait in case something were to happen that would lower ATs value.

This is what I hate about the NFL,  non binding contracts,  imo there needs to be some way to lock up these deals, but to allow for outs or escalators in case of extreme performance changes either way.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I'm done wondering/waiting/hoping for a SB.  I honestly don't think it will ever happen in my lifetime.  I just have to enjoy the wins as they come, but I also know at some point during the season, the wheels will come off and the team will crash and burn.

I'll only believe they're going to win the SB when I actually see it happen. 
I still love my Vikings as much as ever though. 

Hope it doesn't get contentious. The verbage is polite but he is still saying, essentially, "Show me the money", and he is going directly to the fans and using Thielen's position as Favorite Viking/Hometown Hero.

I love Thielen too and would hate to see him ever play elsewhere, but he signed a contract to play here through 2020, so how is he different from a rookie who excels and is a bargain on his first contract?

Just wondering what Thielen and his agent are aiming to do and hope it doesn't cause dissent.

This was a smart move for Thielen and his agent to get ahead of this since they have no leverage. Basically put the thought in the Vikings mind that they might want to consider doing something. Precedent says the Vikings will likely want him to honor 2019 and they will rework his deal next off-season, but this is not a typical situation. 

Although it's unlikely it would get to this point, the Vikings have team control due to the tag through 2021 (3 seasons). At that point Adam will be 32. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
This was a smart move for Thielen and his agent to get ahead of this since they have no leverage. Basically put the thought in the Vikings mind that they might want to consider doing something. Precedent says the Vikings will likely want him to honor 2019 and they will rework his deal next off-season, but this is not a typical situation. 

Although it's unlikely it would get to this point, the Vikings have team control due to the tag through 2021 (3 seasons). At that point Adam will be 32. 
It might be... or it might be seen another way.  The team took a risk and is getting rewarded and AT got to play pro football.   if it werent for the hometowm Vikings giving him his chance he was doing what?  selling furniture or some such shit?  He is making really good money with his incentives that he is reaching and that should be enough for 1 more year IMO.  I think next offseason is when they should be pushing for a new deal,  not with 2 years left.  LIke you said, the team has control and the timing is pretty shitty considering the teams cap situation this year...not to mention by taking it to the public (no matter how eloquently worded it was) is never IMO a good way to open a private negotiation.  I could see this being a little bit of a slap in the face for the front office.