Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Barr Predictions
It's less than a week until teams can designate players with a Franchise tag (Feb 19). Who thinks the Vikings will use a tag for Anthony Barr?

The Vikes don't like using tags, but I believe Zimmer is going to viciously resist losing Barr - it will feel like starting to break up the defense he built. They will have to make some changes to accommodate $15M in salary to do it.

$15m for Barr? Even in an expanded salary cap??? In a 4/3 scheme? 

Not feeling it.

Not when I believe we can still be plenty good on D without him. 

I think they'll work something out and keep him.  Not sure it's what I would personally like to see but based on the wording of the poll that's what I chose.

I don't think the Vikings will use the tag...  the biggest issue with using it is 1) it typically takes up a big chunk of your cap and 2) sets the bar for a potential contract extension.
If the Vikings tag Barr, they'll have to start out any contract offers with 15+ million guaranteed because he'd get that on the tag.  The Vikings would be stupid to devote that much of their cap space to Barr and Kendricks.  You don't pay LBs in a 4-3 defense.  You spend money on pass rushers and DBs.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I don't think the Vikings will use the tag...  the biggest issue with using it is 1) it typically takes up a big chunk of your cap and 2) sets the bar for a potential contract extension.
If the Vikings tag Barr, they'll have to start out any contract offers with 15+ million guaranteed because he'd get that on the tag.  The Vikings would be stupid to devote that much of their cap space to Barr and Kendricks.  You don't pay LBs in a 4-3 defense.  You spend money on pass rushers and DBs.
But you also don't use 9th overall picks on LBs in a 4-3 defense; but Zimmer did. I think he sees Barr differently than stats or fans do. It's my basis for thinking they will tag him, so if my perception about Zimmer+Barr is wrong, he will probably leave.
I think Barr wants to be a pass-rusher and won't sign an extension here. The Vikings have Cousins for 2 more seasons, but if 2019 is as disappointing as 2018, there will be major changes - maybe affecting HC and/or GM. So I really believe they will be "all in" this year, and that if Zimmer gets to pick 1 expensive defensive free agent, he will pick Barr.

They'll make the decision at the combine and it will come down to two separate things. 

1. Can they resign Sheldon Richardson? If the answer is yes I believe they'd be best served going down that route. That move basically assures Barr will hit unrestricted free agency and leave MN. 

2. If they cannot lock up Sheldon I'd at least expect them to attempt tagging & trading Barr. The $15M price tag is palatable for a team willing to play him at the LOS. In that scenario the tag wouldn't prohibit an extension. The reason the Richardson extension comes into play is that you'd need the $15M in cap space to facilitate the tag & trade. This also gives the Vikings "some" control over where he goes and at least makes sure he's out of the NFCN.

3. The only reason I include three at all is because I don't think the Vikings would turn down an extension if it was in the ballpark of $12M/yr. However for that to happen Barr would need to come down a ways. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
They'll make the decision at the combine and it will come down to two separate things. 

1. Can they resign Sheldon Richardson? If the answer is yes I believe they'd be best served going down that route. That move basically assures Barr will hit unrestricted free agency and leave MN. 

2. If they cannot lock up Sheldon I'd at least expect them to attempt tagging & trading Barr. The $15M price tag is palatable for a team willing to play him at the LOS. In that scenario the tag wouldn't prohibit an extension. The reason the Richardson extension comes into play is that you'd need the $15M in cap space to facilitate the tag & trade. This also gives the Vikings "some" control over where he goes and at least makes sure he's out of the NFCN.

3. The only reason I include three at all is because I don't think the Vikings would turn down an extension if it was in the ballpark of $12M/yr. However for that to happen Barr would need to come down a ways. 
Why do you think that Sheldon Richardson is the priority? I'm kind of on the fence about bringing him back. At times he was able to generate quick pressure up the middle, but the interior run defense wasn't great, they have some younger players in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes, and it's a strong DT class in the draft. So while Richardson was generally good, I think he's replaceable.

Barr has questions too. Inconsistent performance, supposedly being asked to sacrifice his production to make the scheme work, lapses in coverage, and never being utilized as the pass rusher that his physical skill set should allow him to be. However, he's a more unique talent than Richardson and with teams valuing athletic LBers who can cover, it seems like the league is going in Barr's direction. Maybe that drives up his price too much, but we don't have anyone capable of filling his role. Wilson is a role player and Gedeon is a 2-down LB who can't play the run. Barr will be a lot harder to replace than Richardson would be, so if we do lose Barr, then what direction do you see them going at LB?

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

How can the Vikings tag Barr?  I know they can tag him now but when the new league year begins they need to have that 15 mil in cap space.  They cant start the new league year under the cap if I am not mistaken.
So that would mean some other people would get cut.  Which players would get cut and which would agree to a restructure?  I know people often talk about restructures but the players have to agree.
I think it would be one of the most stupidest decisions this front office has made and they have made some dumb ones.  Letting Allen get his last year without any desire to extend him beyond that year and with Griffen waiting in the wings.  Letting Kalil get his last year even though he was nowhere near worth 11 mil.  Using the #62 & #93 picks to move up for Toby Gerhart after AP just finished an 1800 plus yard season.  The list goes on.
Barr and his agent could decide to not sign the tag which would severely limit the Vikings in free agency since they will not have much cap space if they use up 15 mil on Barr.
Lastly, and more importantly, when did Barr become worthy of a top 3-4 OLB contract?  What team is going to pay him 15 mil when he has zero seasons proving that he is able to play that roles at a high level?  I keep reading stuff like this and it is totally perplexing to me.
If I am a GM, I definitely would NOT pay Barr 15 mil to be a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE when he has never had more than 4 sacks.  No freaking way.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
$15m for Barr? Even in an expanded salary cap??? In a 4/3 scheme? 

Not feeling it.

Not when I believe we can still be plenty good on D without him. 
Barr is going to get $15ish. Maybe a tad less but not $10ish