Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Returns
Wondering how everyone fared. Mine was slightly smaller.

Smaller then who's? 
And how did you know?

I haven't done mine yet.  But double dipping with a retirement and a full-time job with now dependents or sizable deductions, I shudder to think about it.  LOL

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
I haven't done mine yet.  But double dipping with a retirement and a full-time job with now dependents or sizable deductions, I shudder to think about it.  LOL
First world problem lol!

Gotta stay on top of those withholdings. We check how that's trending in May and September to make sure we aren't going to be writing any checks we're not prepared to do. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Smaller then who's? 
And how did you know?
Uhm, you know we're talking taxes right? Not something else. 

My accountant had me increase my payroll payment in anticipation of loosing my deductions.  Fall in that group that the new STD deduction won't cover what I had been claiming and not wealthy enough to hit the caps.  ( STD is what I meant, something about getting screwed without a kiss)

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Wondering how everyone fared. Mine was slightly smaller.
This was the first time I've done my taxes myself in probably 15 years. Always used HR Block in the past due to rental property and a freelance business complicating things. But grew weary of how much they charged me (typically around $600), and getting set up with a retiree who moved around his computer with the speed of a turtle in mud.

This year I used Turbotax. It was magic. Asked me all the questions I needed to answer in an extremely simple and conversational manner. In 90 minutes I was finished. After having to pay a few thousand the last few years, this year I'm getting a few thousand back. Has nothing to do with Turbotax or the new tax policy. It's due mostly to the fact that I totally changed my federal tax picture: claimed 0 withholdings, took extra out, etc. 

Anyway, there are certain products that surprise you with their convenience and value--what you get for the money and how much better they are than the alternative: Amazon, Netflix, Roku, ridesharing, Apple products....I'm ready to put Turbotax on that list. 

Add Intuit's Mint product to the mix MB...

Helps us budget, track spending $$ in an easy to use interface. Was eye opening when we started to really look at where the $$ goes - and where it doesn't. 

Information is power and peace of mind too. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Add Intuit's Mint product to the mix MB...

Helps us budget, track spending $$ in an easy to use interface. Was eye opening when we started to really look at where the $$ goes - and where it doesn't. 

Information is power and peace of mind too. 
Intuit is the group behind Turbotax as well, so maybe it's them that deserve the credit. I'll check it out. I definitely need help figuring out where my money goes. 

Thanks to my two kids i'm able to buy a Lamborghini this year