Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inevitable question, but a legit one?
I guess it depends on if you're glass 1/2 full or the other glass...Was Jared Goff's Super Bowl Performance a Cause for Concern?https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819125-was-jared-goffs-super-bowl-performance-a-cause-for-concern?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

So typical media: build them up, to tear them down. Circle of sports life. He's 24 years old and was just in the Superbowl. Craziness.

For the love of god, the kid has only been in the league a couple years and just played in a super bowl against not one but two GOATS in Brady and Belichick.  Im sure that kid has never seen a defense like he did in the super bowl.  The Rams got out coached plain and simple.  I read where the Patriots played man to man more than any team in the NFL this season.  So a vast majority of the tape the Rams watched for the 2 weeks leading up to the super bowl showed just that.  In the super bowl the Patriots were in a zone coverage for % 40 of the game.  You give Brady and Belichick two weeks to prepare for a QB that has been starting for 2 seasons what does the media think will happen.  It kind of reminds me of all the sky is falling mentality about the  Kirk Cousins signing after this last season.  Dude throws for a career high in TD's and 4,300 yards behind an terrible offensive line and the 30th ranked rushing offense in the NFL  and the media says the same thing about him.  

Youngest #1 overall pick to make it to the Super Bowl...

No just no. He is a very young guy and he gained valuable experience. Time will tell how much he learns from it and progresses.

Teams tried to make Goff beat them with his arm all season. They couldn't get it done, because they couldn't stop the run. It also helped to have McVay call manageable passes, most of the time when they had to pass. 
Belicheck put it on Goff's arm to win. And Goff couldn't get it done.
Is Goff a bad QB?  I don't think so.  If a couple of dropped balls were caught, there would be a whole different narrative.
He didn't play well but was beat by a Zen master.

I think Goff is an OK QB. 
I don’t think he’s an upgrade over Cousins.  He’s probably a Derek Carr level QB in my
book.  I think he’s a prime example of
how you can take a mediocre QB and surround him with a lot of talent and get a
great output.  Their offense gets a lot
easier to defend, when you start removing weapons, and force Goff to carry the
team.  I think an injured Gurley was
probably the biggest issue for them. 
With Gurley, and especially if you add Kupp on top of that, they just
have too many weapons to defend.  I think
a flexible defense that doesn’t show their hand right away will give them more
trouble.
I'd be concerned for him if Gurley gets a major injury or is out for an extended period of time.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I think Goff is an OK QB. 
I don’t think he’s an upgrade over Cousins.  He’s probably a Derek Carr level QB in my
book.  I think he’s a prime example of
how you can take a mediocre QB and surround him with a lot of talent and get a
great output.  Their offense gets a lot
easier to defend, when you start removing weapons, and force Goff to carry the
team.  I think an injured Gurley was
probably the biggest issue for them. 
With Gurley, and especially if you add Kupp on top of that, they just
have too many weapons to defend.  I think
a flexible defense that doesn’t show their hand right away will give them more
trouble.
I'd be concerned for him if Gurley gets a major injury or is out for an extended period of time.
Someone posted that chart of runs by down last week.  The Rams were skewed towards the run on every down.  Gurley's injury hurt them quite a bit.  And as PurpleHaze sez, give Bill 2 weeks and he is going to devise a plan to stop you.
That said, I heard Romo say something interesting in the second half.  The rams offense was typically to to the line early before the radio was turned off.  That has been pretty consistent with McVay and Goff.  The coaches were reading the D for him.  It is how we beat them so bad in 17.  We didn't show our D until after the radio signal cut out.
I think Bill had that as well and was using it against them.  Romo said that in the second half the rams weren't coming to the line until 15 on the play clock so the defense didn't have radio contact either.  The offense played better at that point because it was a good adjustment.  But it speaks to Goff's abilities IMO.  Yes, he is only a third year guy.  But everyone has been quick to anoint him as the next great thing.  I think Bill pulled back the veil a bit on how raw he is in overall leadership/field presence.