Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draftnik wins Super Bowl for Bill
Anyone remember Rick Gosselin? Sportswriter for the Dallas Morning News. Before he gave it up, he was the best in the draft business--Bob McGinn before Bob McGinn. Not a scout, but a guy who paid a lot of attention to the draft and had really good connections. His Big Boards were legendary. Always the most accurate and nobody else was close. I remember people on draft boards use to mock him when he'd release his first big board. Because it wasn't the same groupthink-derived rankings draftniks had seen a million times, people thought he was off his rocker.  But damned if he wasn't always right. 

Bill Belichick credits sportswriter for finding Julian Edelman
Posted by Charean Williams on February 4, 2019, 10:16 AM EST
Coaches rarely credit sportswriters for anything, especially not for identifying draft talent. But coach Bill Belichick said Monday that former Dallas Morning News columnist Rick Gosselin got the Patriots on the trail of Julian Edelman.
Edelman was a little-known quarterback at Kent State when the Patriots selected him in the seventh round of the 2009 draft.
“It’s kind of interesting,” Belichick said. “I’ve got to give Rick Gosselin credit on that one for getting us started. I talked to Rick — as you know, Rick followed the draft very closely — and at one point, he said to me, ‘A kid you might want to take a look at is this quarterback out of Kent State. I don’t think he can play quarterback [in the NFL], but I’ve heard he’s a pretty good player.’
“So we kind of got going on him a little bit, and we were like, ‘OK, what would we do with Julian? Is he a receiver? Is he a punt returner? Is he a defensive back? Is he maybe a guy that just can play multiple positions in the kicking game?’ So we went out and worked him out. How many times did we work you out? Two? So we sent one coach up there. And then we were like, ‘Well all right, let’s send someone else up there, because we weren’t really sure what to do with him.
“So, as it turned out, he came to the Patriots and caught passes, which he hadn’t done before, returned kicks, which he hadn’t done before, and played defense, which he hadn’t done before, in addition to covering kicks and all the other things in special teams.”
Edelman worked his way up the football chain to now Super Bowl LIII MVP, and he has Gosselin to thank for getting him to New England in the first place.

Speaking of McGinn, he's got his own site, pay site, if you are looking for his insights...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Speaking of McGinn, he's got his own site, pay site, if you are looking for his insights...
Yeah, I bought access to the draft part of his site last year. Probably do that again this year. 

I noticed Walter Cherepinkski has a few anonymous scout quotes on his site. I doubt he has the connections that McGinn has, but we'll see. Hard to trust a guy with a website that ugly anyway. 

More on Rick Gosselin. Apparently he's retiring...
I didn't watch any college game tapes -- but I talked to the men who did. I talked to NFL general managers, personnel directors, scouts, head coaches, assistant coaches and college coaches in an effort to determine who could play and who couldn't in building my draft board.
Over the years my network grew. By 2011, I was talking to talent evaluators in all 32 NFL buildings and built a network of some 130 draft contacts. My final draft board included 553 names. Only 254 would be drafted. So my mock drafts and Top 100 draft board became very popular with NFL teams.
I had head coaches and general managers call me the night before the draft at my hotel room in New York City asking for my mock. One NFL GM told me he considered me the league's 33rd team on draft day because of the credibility of my draft board. I even had teams call me while they were on the clock for their picks.
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-s...-swan-song