Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Are you kidding me?!
DETROIT — Sweethearts — those chalky little candies with messages on them — won't be on store shelves this Valentine's Day.
The New England Confectionary Co. — or Necco — had been making the popular candies since 1886. But the company filed for bankruptcy protection last spring.
Ohio-based Spangler Candy Co. bought Necco in May. But Spangler said Thursday that it didn't have time to bring Sweethearts to market this Valentine's season.
CEO Kirk Vashaw said Spangler wants to make sure Sweethearts "meet customer expectations" when they return to market. He didn't say what changes Spangler plans to make or when they'll go back on sale.
Competitors like Brach's are still making conversation hearts. But online retailer CandyStore.com says Sweethearts were by far the most popular brand, commanding 80 percent of U.S. market for candy hearts.

Necco has had real financial issues. Does anyone actually buy those things for Valentine's Day? If you've ever had Necco wafers in the tube....they are garbage. There are SO many great confections out there now. Sweethearts aren't good candy by any stretch, but people do like them because of the words on them.

Yeah...saw that on the news.

takes me way back to elementary school....3rd grade....Mrs. Prescotts class...
and sweet little Karen Nelson.....my first real crush....sigh....

....nervously handing her her one of those boxes of hearts...scotch taped to one of those cheap punch out HR Puffenstuff cards....thinking of just the right thing to write...

...finally summoning up the courage to finally write on there......"let's hump"

-JK

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Necco has had real financial issues. Does anyone actually buy those things for Valentine's Day? If you've ever had Necco wafers in the tube....they are garbage. There are SO many great confections out there now. Sweethearts aren't good candy by any stretch, but people do like them because of the words on them.
lol! 

Yes they are...But they were the garbage of our childhood damn it! 

Omg! My mom is going to be so sad. She absolutely loves those things and the button candy sheets. That is a long time for a company to be around though. 

My grandma had "ribbon candy"

I was a kid....and despite looking a little dusty, thought I'd take one.

my mom was subtlety shaking her head to warn me....but I was like....
"what's her issue?"

so I tried to take a piece and the rest of the bowl of ribbon candy went with it.

I put it back for the next dumbshit grandkid.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
My grandma had "ribbon candy"

I was a kid....and despite looking a little dusty, thought I'd take one.

my mom was subtlety shaking her head to warn me....but I was like....
"what's her issue?"

so I tried to take a piece and the rest of the bowl of ribbon candy went with it.

I put it back for the next dumbshit grandkid.
You should have listened to your mom. She tried to warn you.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
lol! 

Yeah, I'm not a super nostalgic dude. I've always been a more 'in the moment' person. The candy today is off the charts better than the candy of our youth. Whenever my parents would go visiting friends or family when I was young, everyone had out a candy dish of hard candy. Remember that? Butterscotch, ribbon, etc. I'd accidentally swallow some and choke and my Mom would have to turn me upside down to get it dislodged, lol. No Heimlich maneuver back then!!  :p. How's that for nostalgia?? lol

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
lol! 

Yeah, I'm not a super nostalgic dude. I've always been a more 'in the moment' person. The candy today is off the charts better than the candy of our youth. Whenever my parents would go visiting friends or family when I was young, everyone had out a candy dish of hard candy. Remember that? Butterscotch, ribbon, etc. I'd accidentally swallow some and choke and my Mom would have to turn me upside down to get it dislodged, lol. No Heimlich maneuver back then!!  :p. How's that for nostalgia?? lol

You are generally right of course, but I still like saltwater taffy and tootsie rolls.  I think the taffy today is likely much better than that of my grandparents age with improved flavoring.

They are cute and sometimes funny. Truth though I haven't bought any in decades. My sweetie prefers chocolates.