Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks Like Plenty Of Day 3 QB Options
Drew Lock - QB - Tigers
Benjamin Allbright reports that the NFL views Missouri QB Drew Lock as a top-10 pick.
Lock (6'4/233) drew mixed reviews during the Reese's Senior Bowl practices, but everyone agrees that he has a very strong arm and possesses some of the "uncoachable traits." Many of the other quarterbacks at Senior Bowl practices underwhelmed, which certainly makes Lock more desirable in the early to mid first-round. Most analysts still rank Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins ahead of Lock, but it's certainly possible that both go top-10. We also can't forget about Oakland A's CF Kyler Murray, who happened to win a Heisman Trophy this season.
Source: Benjamin Allbright on TwitterJan 25 - 9:30 PM
Benjamin Allbright reports that the NFL views NC State QB Ryan Finley as a Day 3 pick.
Finley didn't stand out at the Reese's Senior Bowl practices, and analysts believed he needed to have a big week to get back into the Day 2 mix. Once considered a first-round pick, Finley is now being viewed as an NFL backup. Allbright continues to report that Will Grier, Jarrett Stidham, Tyree Jackson, Gardner Minshew, and Trace McSorley are also Day 3 candidates.

Vikings scouted Lock.....it means nothing, of course, but they did check him out. Read it somewhere. I'd love to see Minnesota draft a QB somewhere that can compete with Sloter for future QB. IMO, Cousins won't see a second contract with the Vikings. He's just not the future of the position and where its going in the NFL. Love to see a kid sit for 1-2 years and learn without stress. I love Sloter's size, arm strength and mobility: I just don't know what the org. thinks of him and if he can evolve enough.

I think Jarrett Stidham will be a day two pick. A guy like Rypien or McSorley would be nice late. 

I'm probably in the minority, but I think it would be a waste to draft a QB.  We already have Sloter; so, unless the team has seen him up close and found him to be wanting, we already have a young, developmental QB.  I'd rather "waste" the late round pick on an OL, DB or WR.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I'm probably in the minority, but I think it would be a waste to draft a QB.  We already have Sloter; so, unless the team has seen him up close and found him to be wanting, we already have a young, developmental QB.  I'd rather "waste" the late round pick on an OL, DB or WR.
We only have 2 QBs under contract. We have to add one somewhere. And if Sloter is ready to be a QB2 (he should be), then the logical place would be late in the draft or a top UDFA. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"pumpf" said:
We only have 2 QBs under contract. We have to add one somewhere. And if Sloter is ready to be a QB2 (he should be), then the logical place would be late in the draft or a top UDFA. 
Yep, I'm of the opinion that we add a QB pretty much every year no matter what.  Keep the pipeline stocked and hopefully we hit on a diamond in the rough.

Unfortunately, this organization does not have a great track record of evaluating/grooming QBs, so throwing a bunch of darts at the dartboard is about their best chance of finding a future franchise QB.

I'll take the kid from Buffalo...huge man...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'll take the kid from Buffalo...huge man...
Tyree Jackson could be a stud with the right coaching. He was sure fun to watch. Abilities off the charts.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:x
I agree this year.  IMO, if we were flush with picks, I'd take a QB.  We've got to make OL and DL the priority.

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"pumpf" said:x
I agree this year.  IMO, if we were flush with picks, I'd take a QB.  We've got to make OL and DL the priority.
By the time it's over, we'll have 17 Day 3 picks...