Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those who question our play-calling...
[Image: er9l8x3m4yoi.png]

It seems like most of the people here think that the Vikes Run-Run-Pass most of the time (when, actually, we did it less than 20%).  In fact, it looks like we ran on first down just over 50% of the time.  

Flip is still confused as to what the R stands for.

I've always felt that 1st down should be a 50/50 split between run and pass. That's your most unpredictable and productive down. 2nd down should be your run heavy down, really no matter the destance. Like 80/20 favoring the run. And then 3rd down is the passing down...about 80/20 based on distance, but that gives you a split balance. The problem with Flip was that he never seemed to get that in order to achieve real balance, that 2nd down has to heavily favor the run. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I've always felt that 1st down should be a 50/50 split between run and pass. That's your most unpredictable and productive down. 2nd down should be your run heavy down, really no matter the destance. Like 80/20 favoring the run. And then 3rd down is the passing down...about 80/20 based on distance, but that gives you a split balance. The problem with Flip was that he never seemed to get that in order to achieve real balance, that 2nd down has to heavily favor the run. 
1st down should also be your heavy play action down. John didn't seem to understand you could pretend you're going to run it even when your not.

Interesting to look at some of the trends.  LA was over 60% run on 1st down.  And #1 (if that is what the little numbers mean) on RRR.  KC and NE was also very high on the RRR, so that seems to indicate they had success on 1st or second down or were unpredictable.

Some pretty mediocre offenses in the RRP lead. 

Would a high ranked RPP signify that the 1st down run was largely unsuccessful and the offense fell into the predictable behind the chains with little gain on 1st and then throw twice to try and catch up?

The problem for most... okay a few... fine, two people that I know of for sure... was that you could easily predict what the Vikings were going to do given the situation.  Not sure about this season, since we threw the ball so much more than normal, but for the most part if we completed a long pass play we always followed that up with a run.  Seldom did we attack via the air again, unless in the two minute drill.(which I said we should run the hurry up style offense since that's what got us that tie in Green Bay).  People could call the play just by the formation, down and distance.  If fans could see it, you know the guys(defensive coordinators) that get paid could see it too.  RRP was definitely a thing when Peterson was here... I think the Vikings moved passed it lately.

see what I did there?... =)  

Interesting.  

But is this the best type of graph for this info?  The x-axis has two variables combined in one...no?  
Data would have been better represented using a bubble chart?   :o  idk
Am I the only one confused on the abscissa (x-axis) of this chart? 
Quote: @suncoastvike said:

1st down should also be your heavy play action down. John didn't seem to understand you could pretend you're going to run it even when your not.
That was my biggest critique, as well.  D-Flip did a very poor job of disguising.  Hard to pretend with an empty backfield.  

Quote: @savannahskol said:
Interesting.  

But is this the best type of graph for this info?  The x-axis has two variables combined in one...no?  
Data would have been better represented using a bubble chart?   :o  idk
Am I the only one confused on the abscissa (x-axis) of this chart? 
@suncoastvike said:

That was my biggest critique, as well.  D-Flip did a very poor job of disguising.  Hard to pretend with an empty backfield.  

Yes, the chart is confusing as hell. 

The chart is pretty good and describes the breakdown of app of the qualifying series that have the 1st-2nd-3rd down play combo.  Think of each team as a separate pie graph breaking down the play combination of series.

Take Seattle for instance, about 30% of the qualifying series were RRP, about 15% were RRR, about 25% we're RPP, about 4% were RPR, about 10% were PRP, about 5% were PRR, about 8% werePPP and about 2% were PPR.  That's about 100%.

You can't look straight across at each part, except for the RRP part.  It's essentially 8 graphs in 1.