Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kiper's first mock
18) Minnesota Vikings: Greg Little, OT, Ole MissThere's a case to be made that Little is the best true left tackle in this class. He's certainly the most talented. The former five-star high school prospect was inconsistent at times in college, but he should take off in an NFL strength and conditioning program. Coach Mike Zimmer loves guys who get after quarterbacks too, so that's going to be in consideration here.
Nothing too surprising. I'd say I've seen maybe 8 to 10 mocks so far and Greg Little is probably the most common pick for us at 18.

One player that I'm very intrigued by is DT Ed Oliver. He shows up at #14 in Kiper's mock, which is well below his talent level. There are things about Oliver--size, character, position (4-3 3T only), deep DT class-- that give him some slider characteristics. He's not Aaron Donald. He doesn't have Donald's impeccable character. But physically and in terms of playing style, they are very similar players. 

I'll take it, Greg Little it is. 6'6", 332 lbs. That's how a LT is built. Long with a little junk in the trunk. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'll take it, Greg Little it is. 6'6", 332 lbs. That's how a LT is built. Long with a little junk in the trunk. 
I don't see him lasting to 18. All of the OT's that have the potential to slide inside and play guard are getting pushed up the board. The Athletic just put out a top 50 prospect list and this is where they have their top 3 OT prospects ranked. 
7. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama (6-5, 303, 5.18)Although he lacks physically imposing features, Williams is a high IQ, technically sound blocker with flexible hips and a nasty mean streak. Talking to NFL scouts around the league, some teams consider him a tackle, while others are scouting him as a guard or center.
11. Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma (6-4, 335, 5.36)If a grizzly bear wore pads and played football, it would look something like Ford’s tape. A wide-bodied blocker with a huge wingspan, he moves surprisingly well for his size to cut off edge speed and protect against inside moves. Ford offers immediate tackle-guard versatility.
12. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss (6-6, 328, 5.12)A prospect who reminds me of Ronnie Stanley when he came out of Notre Dame, Little is an athletic big man with the frame, length and body control to carve out a long NFL career at left tackle. He would be higher on this list if he had more of a killer instinct.
It doesn't mean the draft will fall this way, but I'm growing concerned that we won't have a shot at the top OLineman in the draft if we stay at 18. Interesting that Risner is not ranked in their top 50 as I've seen him in the top 15 in some mocks. They have Jawaan Taylor and Andre Dillard at 36 and 37. I think Taylor will go in the first and possibly before 18 as well. MB, I would be fine with drafting a DT since it seems we will have plenty of options vs. reaching for Olineman with a 2nd and 3rd round grade. The other option I would consider is this guy. 
19. T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa (6-4, 249, 4.72)The best all-around tight end prospect in this class, Hockenson has the athleticism to release, get proper depth in his routes and create after the catch. As a blocker, he latches, drives his feet and moves his target off the screen, finishing through the echo of the whistle.
You can line him up anywhere on the field and he is a great deep route runner that can stretch the defense. Rudy can't do that anymore and has lost what little run after the catch ability he had. We can dump is $7.6 Million in cap space with zero dead money this year. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I don't see him lasting to 18. All of the OT's that have the potential to slide inside and play guard are getting pushed up the board. The Athletic just put out a top 50 prospect list and this is where they have their top 3 OT prospects ranked. 
7. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama (6-5, 303, 5.18)Although he lacks physically imposing features, Williams is a high IQ, technically sound blocker with flexible hips and a nasty mean streak. Talking to NFL scouts around the league, some teams consider him a tackle, while others are scouting him as a guard or center.
11. Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma (6-4, 335, 5.36)If a grizzly bear wore pads and played football, it would look something like Ford’s tape. A wide-bodied blocker with a huge wingspan, he moves surprisingly well for his size to cut off edge speed and protect against inside moves. Ford offers immediate tackle-guard versatility.
12. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss (6-6, 328, 5.12)A prospect who reminds me of Ronnie Stanley when he came out of Notre Dame, Little is an athletic big man with the frame, length and body control to carve out a long NFL career at left tackle. He would be higher on this list if he had more of a killer instinct.
It doesn't mean the draft will fall this way, but I'm growing concerned that we won't have a shot at the top OLineman in the draft if we stay at 18. Interesting that Risner is not ranked in their top 50 as I've seen him in the top 15 in some mocks. They have Jawaan Taylor and Andre Dillard at 36 and 37. I think Taylor will go in the first and possibly before 18 as well. MB, I would be fine with drafting a DT since it seems we will have plenty of options vs. reaching for Olineman with a 2nd and 3rd round grade. The other option I would consider is this guy. 
19. T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa (6-4, 249, 4.72)The best all-around tight end prospect in this class, Hockenson has the athleticism to release, get proper depth in his routes and create after the catch. As a blocker, he latches, drives his feet and moves his target off the screen, finishing through the echo of the whistle.
You can line him up anywhere on the field and he is a great deep route runner that can stretch the defense. Rudy can't do that anymore and has lost what little run after the catch ability he had. We can dump is $7.6 Million in cap space with zero dead money this year. 
Of the above linemen, I think Cody Ford is the least likely to drop. He has some lust-worthy qualities. Greg Little, on the other hand, has some slider characteristics. Good size, decent athlete and just the fact that he plays left tackle will keep him high, but when I watched him I was a little surprised at how stiff and passive he was. I don't think I'm alone in that assessment either. 

I'll take the huge corn-fed Ford and slide him into the guard spot.  Whether Zimmer admits it or not, he needs two road graders at both guard spots to enhance the running game with Cook.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
I'll take the huge corn-fed Ford and slide him into the guard spot.  Whether Zimmer admits it or not, he needs two road graders at both guard spots to enhance the running game with Cook.
It will be interesting to see what kind of impact Kubiak will have on talent evaluation for OLineman. Hopefully he can help Rick identify talent that will fit our scheme better than Spielman has in the past. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"ArizonaViking" said:
It will be interesting to see what kind of impact Kubiak will have on talent evaluation for OLineman. Hopefully he can help Rick identify talent that will fit our scheme better than Spielman has in the past. 

I hope that's the case. Wasn't Denver pretty good at taking OL who weren't physical beasts and getting more out of them than any other team?

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
I'm no expert, but what I've read is that Ford would be a waste at guard and that he'll make a tremendous OT in the NFL. That's his position.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"ArizonaViking" said:

I hope that's the case. Wasn't Denver pretty good at taking OL who weren't physical beasts and getting more out of them than any other team?
I remember their lines being more athletic than the big mauler, road-grader Loadholt/McKinnies...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"ArizonaViking" said:

I remember their lines being more athletic than the big mauler, road-grader Loadholt/McKinnies...
Thats my memory. That they ran an athletic zone scheme. But Im old and my memory sucks. So....