Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr is secure in himself and his play
“Like I told Anthony, ‘You were my first draft pick, so I have a certain affinity to you because you started how we elevated this Vikings program,’ ” Zimmer said. “I always want what’s best for the player. But I’m also selfish. I want Anthony back.”
First things first. Before Barr’s contract expires, coach and player have a date with the Bears (11-4) on Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium. A win or an Eagles loss at Washington sends the Vikings (8-6-1) to the playoffs for the third time in the five seasons Barr and Zimmer have been together.
Barr’s head is clear and focused. Now, at least, say the four-time Pro Bowl linebacker and Zimmer, who adds, “Anthony is playing exceptional this year.”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-lineb...503667702/

Barr has news for people who accuse him of playing for a big contract.
“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to get a big contract and make a lot of money,” Barr said. “That’s what everyone wants, right? But there’s much more about it to me than that.
“I’ve been with this team for five years. A lot of these guys are my best friends. I owe it to them to play at a high level. I’m one of the more unselfish dudes you’ll ever meet. It’s really about the team for me.”
Barr said he does feel like the odd man out at the negotiating table, but he also doesn’t begrudge the big deals that teammates have signed.
“I understood Danielle’s deal,” said Barr, referring to Hunter’s five-year, $72 million deal, which came with $40 million guaranteed. “We all knew what he was capable of and what he’s going to be. The team probably got a discount in getting him for what they did.
“I understood Diggs. If you bring in an $84 million quarterback, you need weapons around him. And EK [Kendricks] is one of my best friends, so I was happy for him. I don’t count money in other people’s pockets. I want all my guys to get paid.”
When Barr knew he wouldn’t be getting a contract extension, he missed a week of OTAs to secure an insurance policy. Zimmer supported his decision.
“That was tough for me because I’m not a selfish person,” Barr said. “But I kept thinking, ‘What if something crazy happens?’ Teams look out for themselves. I got to look out for myself.”

Zimmer said teams routinely set their pass protections with Barr as the anticipated fifth rusher. That, he said, often gives other players free paths to the quarterback.
“Last week, Detroit was not going to let Barr get on mismatches,” Zimmer said. “They changed a lot of things that they normally do. Two weeks ago, Miami allowed us to rush him and we did. And he got two sacks.
“People don’t realize just how good an overall football player this guy is. I can tell him things in a game that even I’m still trying figure out, and he’s like, ‘OK, I got it.’ His intelligence is off the charts.”

Zimmer defended Barr and blamed “schemes” that have since been changed.
“The bad thing is it looks like Barr played terrible, and that really wasn’t the case,” Zimmer said. “It would have been me who was responsible more than anybody else.”
Barr was appreciative of the schematic changes that ensued.
“I think we/I were trying to be too smart sometimes,” Barr said. “On that Cooper Kupp score, we’re thinking, ‘This is the screen formation, the screen action.’ You can’t play plays in this league. You got to read your keys, react and go. If you try to [guess] plays, that’s when you get hurt.”
Zimmer said he senses Barr wants to stay and continue evolving as a player in this defense. Barr said Zimmer is right, but there is that whole business side.
Barr could be looking at the deal Cleveland’s Jamie Collins Sr. got last year when he set the market for 4-3 outside linebackers at four years, $50 million with $26.4 million guaranteed. The Vikings, who could franchise tag Barr at what’s projected to be about $15 million, also will be trying to pony up enough money to keep defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.
“In a perfect world, I will be back here next year trying to win a Super Bowl,” Barr said. “Whether or not we win one this year first is yet to be determined. But Minnesota is my home now. These are my friends and I think we have a good football team.
“So I do enjoy it here. But there’s also a business side. And if it’s time to move on to the next chapter, I’m ready for it.”

Barr  sounds  like a really good  dude  and a great teammate  he is a very  good player that does not  get all his  due  around  here  but we will have  to wait and see if he is back .kinda sounds like he wants to stay   but vikings may not beable to pay him what another team is willing two

He is a great athlete and teammate but also a remarkable man. His foundation is doing great things and making a difference in a lot of lives. I hope he gets to stay but some tough choices are going to have to be made. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with Barr. He has a unique skill set and I do believe Zimmer when he says there are times that Barr sacrifices his own production to make the scheme work. It's hard to find a 6'5 LB with long arms and the range and intelligence that he has. That being said, it can be frustrating when you see a game like Miami where he looks like the best player on the field. I know he's not Mack, but I do wonder what his production would be like if he was used more as a pass rusher. It's hard to say what a guy like him is worth. He's obviously important, but with so many big contracts handed out someone will be the odd man out. I think it is easier for us to replace Richardson than Barr, but I could see Barr's price getting out of the range that we could afford. This is the tough thing about drafting and developing well (at least on defense), you eventually can't afford to keep everyone.

I like Barr alot and really want to see him back. The problem is his contract may end up higher than the team can afford. Barr plays within the scheme. He is not selfish or a whiner. Could he put up bigger stats in some other schemes? Absolutely, but he’s just as soecial to this defense without the paper stats. Offenses game plan against him. That’s valuable.

Zim sure hearts him some Barr...but I'm thinking we get better value out of Wilson...