Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which rookie OT has not allowed a sack in 488 snaps in pass pro???
For such a big fella, Vikings rookie Brian O’Neill sure spends a lot of time focusing on and practicing the smallest details of playing right tackle in the NFL.
For example …
“It can be something as [little] as the difference in two inches where your hands are placed on the backside of a zone play,” O’Neill said. “It can be how your second step hits the ground and at what angle you’re going to come out of your stance. … What are the fine details of [blocking] in terms of footwork, pad level, angles, hat placement?”
His awakening to the infinitesimal details of line play at the game’s highest level was drilled into him by the Vikings’ coaches and is being fine-tuned by new friend and teammate Mike Remmers, the current right guard and former Vikings right tackle.
The result?
O’Neill’s 11th consecutive start since overtaking Rashod Hill will come Sunday against the Bears at U.S. Bank Stadium. Not bad for a second-round draft pick the draft experts labeled a long-term project as a converted tight end coming out of Pittsburgh.
Coach Mike Zimmer said the Vikings expected O’Neill to contribute at some point this year, but thought it would come closer to the end of the season. Already an athletic run blocker who can reach the second level, O’Neill surprised the team in how fast he developed as a pass protector.
“And he probably has a little more toughness than I thought he might have moving from tight end in college to offensive line,” Zimmer said. “He’s really shown a lot of toughness, grit and those kinds of things.”
According to Pro Football Focus, O’Neill has played 488 snaps in pass protection. He’s allowed zero sacks.
In the 25-20 loss to the Bears on Nov. 18, O’Neill allowed only one pressure in 54 snaps as a pass protector. Sunday, the Vikings can reach the playoffs with a win over the Bears or an Eagles loss to Washington.
“I take pride in the fact that I think I’ve been able to help the Vikings win,” O’Neill said. “Obviously not as many games as we would have liked, but I think I’ve been able to help this team. I’m excited moving forward that I’ll be able to continue helping this team.
”http://www.startribune.com/vikings-tackle-brian-o-neill-developed-quickly-as-a-pass-blocker/503453022/

With the mess at OL, it is awesome to see some progress. Good for him.

Can you imagine how good he will be next year with a off season of getting bigger and stronger.  With his athleticism, he will be a beast on the offensive end for a long time. 

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
Can you imagine how good he will be next year with a off season of getting bigger and stronger.  With his athleticism, he will be a beast on the offensive end for a long time. 
I remember thinking the same after kahlils rookie year also.  I am learning to not look forward to the next year's anymore and to just try and cherish the positives of the now with this team.  Take the good they give us, even in a loss or poor season, and move on.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@ArizonaViking said:
I remember thinking the same after kahlils rookie year also.  I am learning to not look forward to the next year's anymore and to just try and cherish the positives of the now with this team.  Take the good they give us, even in a loss or poor season, and move on.
Big difference though. Kalil had the killer instinct of a daffodil. Word is that O'Neill has a top notch work ethic and some serious nasty to him. That bodes well. 

I recall someone noting pre-draft that Kalil had skinny legs for a guy carrying 300+ lbs and his knees gave out pretty fast after his decent rookie year which is why he went bust.  

Quote: @comet52 said:
I recall someone noting pre-draft that Kalil had skinny legs for a guy carrying 300+ lbs and his knees gave out pretty fast after his decent rookie year which is why he went bust.  
Knees, back and shoulders...name it.  He'll probably be out of the league by next season.

Kalil could have been the GOAT left tackle.  the guy has ZERO work ethic going back to high school.   Everything he has done is on pure talent alone.  plays football because it came easy, not for the love of the game.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@ArizonaViking said:
Big difference though. Kalil had the killer instinct of a daffodil. Word is that O'Neill has a top notch work ethic and some serious nasty to him. That bodes well. 
attention to detail as well.  Kalil had ability and it ended there.

Quote:Which rookie OT has not allowed a sack in 488 snaps in pass pro???
The one nobody wanted?