Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exclamation point or re-writing the 2018 narrative?
Next few weeks will either put an exclamation point to an un-rewarding (for me) season or re-write the narrative to-date all together. 

@ Seattle
Miami
@ Detroit
Bears

A true contender goes 4-0.  I have my doubts, but maybe 2-2.  Our offense just seems to be plodding, boring, and more predictable as the season goes on.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
A true contender goes 4-0.  I have my doubts, but maybe 2-2.  Our offense just seems to be plodding, boring, and more predictable as the season goes on.
This.

Its very clear: just win. 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
I think the reason that it's boring is because it's not working.  I tend to think that JDF has been trying to be extra-special exotic on offense, in order to get some HC attention in the off-season.  Problem?  We're not executing those plays.  But if we ran "simpler" plays (like running the ball off tackle) we'd be more effective, which- in turn- is more exciting.  If all of JDF's plays worked as drawn up, they'd be super-exciting.  But they're not working...

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
I think the reason that it's boring is because it's not working.  I tend to think that JDF has been trying to be extra-special exotic on offense, in order to get some HC attention in the off-season.  Problem?  We're not executing those plays.  But if we ran "simpler" plays (like running the ball off tackle) we'd be more effective, which- in turn- is more exciting.  If all of JDF's plays worked as drawn up, they'd be super-exciting.  But they're not working...

I guess its a sign your organization is well established when your O is in the top 10 in passing in the League and fans are bored & asking for simple plays ?  Wink

Quote: @"Maple Surple" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

I guess its a sign your organization is well established when your O is in the top 10 in passing in the League and fans are bored & asking for simple plays ?  Wink
in a bizarro world this is familiar...

i think were are exactly the opposite of where we were 6-8 years ago... tops in the league in rushing but we can get any sort of consistent passing game going.  now we can throw at will but cant convert a 3 and short to save our asses.  

IMO if you want to get cute with your offense you first have to be able to execute the bread and butter.... screens, off tackle runs, draws and dives the old 6th grade play book... and we dont do that,  a reverse only works if you first can run off tackle or a sweep.  lets get the running game at least back to firing on a couple cylinders before we try and turn it into a dragster.

@"pumpf" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

Total passing yards is a bad way to evaluate the passing game.  The Vikings have the 2nd most passing attempts, they should be in the top ten.  Hell, they should be 2nd.  By yards per attempt, the Vikings are 22nd.

After all, McDonald's doesn't have the best food simply because there are more McDonald's than any other restaurant.

Quote: @"silverjoel" said:
@"Maple Surple" said:
@"pumpf" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

Total passing yards is a bad way to evaluate the passing game.  The Vikings have the 2nd most passing attempts, they should be in the top ten.  Hell, they should be 2nd.  By yards per attempt, the Vikings are 22nd.

After all, McDonald's doesn't have the best food simply because there are more McDonald's than any other restaurant.

kind of like when we had the best run defense in the league because we couldnt stop anybodies passing game?

@"pumpf" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

The fans are asking for wins more than 50% of the time. It's a rationalization when you cite yardage statistics.
I'm actually amazed - and daring to hope - because the Vikings still control their playoff destiny. Win the next 4 and they're 10-5-1 and at least a wildcard, probably the #5 seed. If the Bears lose just 1 of their next 3 - at least a decent chance with the Rams Sunday - then the Vikings can, by winning out with a victory over the Bears at USB, win this division again and host a Wildcard playoff game.
That's why I want Zimmer screaming at these guys that they need to put on their killer faces because they need to win 4 in a row here and have no margin for error.

@"pumpf" said:
@"HappyViking" said:

Total passing yards is a terrible way to determine being called top ten.
Yes Kirk is #1 in completions, You better be, no worst than 6th in total passing yards.
Yet somehow he is 34th in yards gained per completion. vs QB's with 100 or more attempts

7th yards per game. 
10th TD's
12th QB rate
18th TD%
18th net yards gained per pass attempt
20th 4th quarter come backs, with 1 in 12 games
30th game winning drives, with 0