Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you switch John DeFilippo for Mike McCarthy
Rumor has DeFilippo as one of the favorites for the Packer's job (https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/3/18124958/john-defilippo-early-favorite-green-bay-packers-coaching-job-minnesota-vikings).  Would you be happy with DiFilippo going to the Packers and replacing him with McCarthy as OC?

No.  I don't see why anyone would have Flip at the top of their list right now anyway, but how about we keep our offensive coaches and QB together for more than a year and see if the consistency helps. 

Not sure McCarthy is the guy. He's always been quick to abandon the run.

But why does JDF get to 'grow on the job' with a team in a SB window?

He's already had 12 games worth of experience and actually seems to be getting worse. And he had a year of being an OC previously.

I've made this point before but Minnesota is in a very different place than the Rams when they hired McBabyface or the Bears when the hired Nagy. Both teams were rebuilding and had QBs on Rookie Deals.

Rick and Mike bet the farm on Kirk. They can't afford to wait and hope JDF develops as an OC. If he doesn't pan out it likely means they are going down with him.

Not sure McCarthy is the guy. He's always been quick to abandon the run.

But why does JDF get to 'grow on the job' with a team in a SB window?

He's already had 12 games worth of experience and actually seems to be getting worse. And he had a year of being an OC previously.

I've made this point before but Minnesota is in a very different place than the Rams when they hired McBabyface or the Bears when the hired Nagy. Both teams were rebuilding and had QBs on Rookie Deals.

Rick and Mike bet the farm on Kirk. They can't afford to wait and hope JDF develops as an OC. If he doesn't pan out it likely means they are going down with him.

I voted yes.  I'm not sure McCarthy would be my first and only candidate, but I'd settle with him over DeFlipper.  Flip seems to be in over his head.

I chose the third option.   I think if they want to give an OC time to learn.. let Stefanski,  otherwise I would like to see what else is out there before handing the job to mcfatty... its not like we have a good track record of picking up green bay trash....  outside of Longwell those stories dont typically have great endings.

Quote: @greediron said:
No.  I don't see why anyone would have Flip at the top of their list right now anyway, but how about we keep our offensive coaches and QB together for more than a year and see if the consistency helps. 
I'm in favor of no major changes this year to the staff. Maybe ST and OL coaches. I think in honesty you roll next year with what we got. If it fails then you are rebuilding. Then the new coach has one year with Kirk to decide if that's who he wants. That seems better then big changes that will not take effect next year anyhow. 1st year coaches do take time.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@greediron said:
I'm in favor of no major changes this year to the staff. Maybe ST and OL coaches. I think in honesty you roll next year with what we got. If it fails then you are rebuilding. Then the new coach has one year with Kirk to decide if that's who he wants. That seems better then big changes that will not take effect next year anyhow. 1st year coaches do take time.
Constant change keeps teams mediocre.  We need to hire an O-Line coach for sure.  I am starting to really wonder about Priefer.  Is it him or the ghosts of Andersen?
But our offense needs some continuity, not more change.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@greediron said:
I think right now... Flipper has a 4 week audition for next year.  This isnt his first attempt at becoming a play caller,  he had a full season with the browns in 2015 as their OC,  granted there was a couple years in there where he wasnt calling plays,  but I would be expecting him to show improvement as the year progresses and IMO we arent seeing that.  we have KC for 3 years and we are 3/4 through year one,  I dont think it would be prudent to piss away another 27 million on the QB position while a coach learns his job...if he learns his job.   especially when you consider if he succeeds he will likely be gone right away to a HC position.   He got his shot,  if he isnt ready then next man up.  Maybe Stefanski will be a better candidate and wouldnt create a big learning curve?

I wouldn't risk the window on Stefanski either. He could experience the exact same learning curve.

An experienced OC can turn this around fast. Did it take Carolina long to implement old Norv's system? Nope. Cam is still inaccurate and their Defense got old fast, but Uncle Norv unlocked McCaffery's potential fast, despite having Matt Kalil as his LT.

I won't pretend to know who's going to be available, but turning to another unproven dude just doesn't seem prudent to me.