Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know Zimmer’s record against .500 teams?
A lot has been made about Cousins’ poor record but I can’t imagine Zimmer’s being much better.  Does anyone know where to find it without having to do all the research?

Its not great. 

You'd want to peel that back for road vs home and them compare that to NFL average. I suspect few teams win on the road vs winning teams consistently. 

Vikings W-L under Zimmer (against teams that are .500 or better)
2014 (1-7)
Wins: Carolina*
Losses: New England, @ Green Bay, Detroit, @ Buffalo, Green Bay, @ Detroit, @ Miami
2015 (3-4)
Wins: Kansas City, @ Atlanta, @ Green Bay
Losses: @ Denver, Green Bay, Seattle, @ Arizona
2016 (5-6)
Wins: @ Tennessee, Green Bay, New York Giants, Houston, Arizona*,
Losses: Detroit, @ Washington, @ Detroit, Dallas, Indianapolis, @ Green Bay
2017 (5-3)
Wins: New Orleans, Baltimore, LA Rams, @ Detroit, @ Atlanta
Losses: @ Pittsburgh, Detroit, @ Carolina
Overall:  14-20
Home: 9-9
Away: 5-11
I'm not including the 2018 season yet because the season isn't over.  However, through 4 full seasons...  Zimmer is 14-20 against teams with a .500 or better record including both home and away.
I don't know what this means or how it compares to other teams over that same span...  but there you have it.
And you are welcome for the research.
BOOM

The one flaw to this...  we did beat some teams that finished 7-9 over those years as well that weren't included.  If the Vikings had lost, those teams would have finished .500.  Is there really a difference between a 7-9 or 8-8 team?  Probably not.
But there you have it.

I'm guessing you are referring to the Cousins stat that he's 4-23 (15%) against winning teams (teams that finish above .500 at the end of the year), not .500 or above.

Nice job Wetlander.  For at strictly winning teams, take out Miami in 2014, Atlanta in 2015 and Arizona and Indianapolis in 2016.  12-18 (40%).  I would bet that is above average and it's greatly skewed by Zimmer's 1st year (11-12, 48%, without that rookie coaching season).

Quote: @"silverjoel" said:
I'm guessing you are referring to the Cousins stat that he's 4-23 (15%) against winning teams (teams that finish above .500 at the end of the year), not .500 or above.

Nice job Wetlander.  For at strictly winning teams, take out Miami in 2014, Atlanta in 2015 and Arizona and Indianapolis in 2016.  12-18 (40%).  I would bet that is above average and it's greatly skewed by Zimmer's 1st year (11-12, 48%, without that rookie coaching season).
I don't think it's fair to Zim to take out the 8-8 teams he beat.  Those teams were 8-7 without the lose to the Vikings.  IOW, outside of his rookie season and this season, it definitely was not a foregone conclusion when playing a winning team that we lost.

Nice work Wetlander Smile

Quote: @"FessVike" said:
Nice work Wetlander Smile
I aim to please... 

Quote: @"Scoog" said:
@"silverjoel" said:

I don't think it's fair to Zim to take out the 8-8 teams he beat.  Those teams were 8-7 without the lose to the Vikings.  IOW, outside of his rookie season and this season, it definitely was not a foregone conclusion when playing a winning team that we lost.
I agree.  I personally think if one does any opponent record analysis, one should remove the games against the opponent.  However, if I were a betting man, the Cousins stat in question does not go that in depth.  Simply if the team finished with a winning record, they count.  That's the only reason I removed .500 teams because I bet the stat in question did.