Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big $$ QB
Nagged by his past, pressured physically and figuratively by the new division powerhouse, confronted with a rival who carries the fame and ring he covets, Kirk Cousins on Sunday night faces a midterm challenge.
Is he the quarterback the Vikings thought they bought, or the one Washington refused to pay?
Sunday night at U.S. Bank Stadium, Cousins begins a three-game stretch against statistically exceptional quarterbacks who have won Super Bowls. It starts with a duel against Aaron Rodgers, his superior and yet his brother in arms.
Rodgers won a Super Bowl at 27, in his third season as a starter. Winning the big one offers the tertiary benefit of preventing anyone from ever accusing you of being unable to win the big one, but it is not a panacea against future ills.
This season, Rodgers, one of a handful of quarterbacks who can make a logical case as the greatest ever at his position, is completing 61.8 percent of his passes, his second-lowest mark as a starter. In the NFL of 2018, that’s a percentage you would expect from Nathan Peterman, not someone known for strapping on invisible championship belts.
The Packers are 4-5-1, and the smart speculation around the league is that a lost season will doom coach Mike McCarthy. If they lose Sunday night, they are likely to miss the playoffs in consecutive years for he first time since 2005-06.
Which can only make U.S. Bank Stadium feel more like a crockpot for Cousins. If he can’t lead a superior roster to victory at home against the reeling Packers, the Redskins might hire a biplane to carry a “You Like That?’’ banner over his house.
Even Rodgers isn’t immune from slumps, the deleterious effect of injuries and the drag of an incomplete roster, but it remains his, and Cousins’, job to rise above.
Can either?
As the Saints, Chiefs and Rams test new prototypes on the Autobahn, the Packers and Vikings are riding Bird scooters through the park. Rodgers has one proven receiver he can count on — Davante Adams. Cousins is playing behind an offensive line that couldn’t handle the Bears, and yet he could have played better last week, when he took his first, all-too-tentative step onto his 2018 proving grounds.
A miscommunication with tight end Kyle Rudolph cost him one interception. A decision to force a pass to the untrustworthy Laquon Treadwell — and his inaccuracy with that throw — cost him another.
Until a no-huddle offense slowed down the Bears’ rush and bought him time, Cousins looked overmatched in Chicago. On Sunday night the Vikings need Captain Kirk to earn a playing-field promotion.
Chicago’s trade for Khalil Mack and its offensive innovations have altered the divisional forecast. For years, the Packers ruled because of Brett Favre and Rodgers. In recent years, the Vikings have built the better roster but failed to capitalize on it because of offensive line or quarterback injuries.
The Bears are threatening to make the Vikings-Packers more about nostalgia than dominance. Fair or not, Rodgers and Cousins will be branded by the outcome.
Statistically, Cousins has excelled. He has a career-best completion percentage of 70.7. He is on pace to pass for about 4,700 yards, which would be the second-best mark of his career. His interception percentage of 1.7 would be the best of his career.
Cousins’ problem is that no one cares about his statistics. He was hired to replace an efficient quarterback who took the Vikings to the NFC Championship Game. He was paid an enormous amount of guaranteed money.
He will be measured by the grandest and narrowest of metrics — winning conference and league titles. And in his biggest game as a Viking, he looked uncomfortable.
Cousins’ midterms begin with his foremost new rival and conclude with Tom Brady, who makes do with former lacrosse players and college quarterbacks as receivers.
The division is in flux and the season is in peril. This would be a good time for Cousins to assure the Vikings that they have a franchise quarterback.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-big-m...501182111/

Cousins has been inconsistent. I think we will see improvement once he has a run game and decent pass protection. Until then, I expect more of the same.

Very few QBs would be "successful" in these conditions: new OC... OL coach died just before the season... and (perhaps related) a mediocre OL- with not much of a running game.  
I still believe that Cousins in above average (perhaps ever "very good"); but there are factors working against him... including his own mistakes (which- in my opinion- come from "over-preparation" and "over-thinking" more than a lack of ability.  He seems like a perfectionist- and I'm not sure if that's working for him- or against him.

All things considered, we'll know more about Cousins next year. I know he has his own issues but some of them would be resolved with an OL. There would be a total bitchfest if the Vikings didn't get a qb.

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
All things considered, we'll know more about Cousins next year. I know he has his own issues but some of them would be resolved with an OL. There would be a total bitchfest if the Vikings didn't get a qb.
I agree if Case stayed and MN was 5-4-1 you would have total melt downs of how bad the QB was.

I keep going back to Den vs MN
Den needs to go 1-6 to = last years win record.
MN needs to go 6-0 to end up with 2 less wins vs last year.

MN has scored 3 more points than they did after 10 games last season on average.
Den has score 50 more points.

It's not Cousins and the offensive.  It's Zimmer and the defense that's the problem. The past few games the offense have scored enough points to win games. It's the defense that has become the problem. The Vikings still have a conservative mentality on all aspects of the ball, but it's most pronounced on the defense. Instead of being an attacking D, the Vikings keep pedaling backwards.

They play to "eat the clock" instead of attacking the offensive while being up by a few scores. That's just wrong. 
No matter how big the lead, with time on the clock, keep scoring. No matter how big the lead, with time on the clock, keep thinking three and out!  Dagger time on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately, that's not how the Vikings play football under Zimmer.

Yes they have scored enough, but does 14 garbage points in final 5 minutes have same value as the 6 points they scored in 1st 55 minutes

Other than that food for thought comment.
The D held going backwards
Lions to 9 points
I don't think any team is going to beat the saints scoring only 20 points 30 maybe
Jets to 17 points
Cards to 17 points
In other loses, same thing as 1st comment, garbage yards and TD's because they failed to score in 1st 3 quarters of games.

I agree Zim is not going to take this team any farther than he did last year, with his conservative approach and no urgency when it is needed.

The game has passed he way by IMHO.

Quote: @"vikingknights" said:
It's not Cousins and the offensive.  It's Zimmer and the defense that's the problem. The past few games the offense have scored enough points to win games. It's the defense that has become the problem. The Vikings still have a conservative mentality on all aspects of the ball, but it's most pronounced on the defense. Instead of being an attacking D, the Vikings keep pedaling backwards.

They play to "eat the clock" instead of attacking the offensive while being up by a few scores. That's just wrong. 
No matter how big the lead, with time on the clock, keep scoring. No matter how big the lead, with time on the clock, keep thinking three and out!  Dagger time on both sides of the ball.

Unfortunately, that's not how the Vikings play football under Zimmer.
You must have missed the turnovers on offense and the lack of the offense's ability to capitalize on the turnovers the defense created. Also you missed a stagnant run game and the inability of the team to score in hurry especially when they are behind. The play calling has left a lot to be desired. 

I am not saying that the defense hasn't been an issue but to say that the Cousins and the offense are not part of the problem isn't accurate. The biggest problem on the team is the OL though. That has been the Achilles heel for years now. 

Quote: @"holmanjp" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
I agree if Case stayed and MN was 5-4-1 you would have total melt downs of how bad the QB was.

I keep going back to Den vs MN
Den needs to go 1-6 to = last years win record.
MN needs to go 6-0 to end up with 2 less wins vs last year.

MN has scored 3 more points than they did after 10 games last season on average.
Den has score 50 more points.
Denver vs Minn is an apples to oranges comparison.  Look at Keenums numbers in Denvers wins.  197-2-0,  205-0-0, 161-1-1, 220-1, 329-3-3.   He averages 222 yards per game has 7 TD’s and 5 picks. He is in Denver what he was in Minnesota, a game manager.  Cousins in Minnesotas wins.  254 yards per game 10 TD’s 2 ints.  Also in the Rams loss he threw for over 400 yards  and in the tie with the Packers he threw for over 400 yards, in the Saints loss he threw for over 350 yards.  Has cousins made some mistakes ?  Sure, but some of those mistakes were due to a new team and a new system.  The pick six in the saints game was just as much Diggs fault.  Diggs actually took the blame for it.  Bottom line is Keenum can rarely win you a game, and the Broncos are not winning because of him.  Cousins can put a team on his back and win a game for you.  He is more accurate, has a stronger arm and definetly throws a better deep ball than Keenum.  Keenum is more elusive, other than that Cousins is a better QB in every catagory.

Good bounce-back game by Capt'n tonight...Out-dueled Rogers, no small feat.