Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too much volume in offensive playbook

I don't really get that comment. The teams that are successful on O appear to have volume in the playbook. Vikings still look like they cannot decide if they want to be the 82 redskins (Zimmer) or set up the run with the pass (JDF). I know they do not have a line that will wear people down so that throws out the 82 redskins scenario.

Quote: @kmillard said:
I don't really get that comment. The teams that are successful on O appear to have volume in the playbook. Vikings still look like they cannot decide if they want to be the 82 redskins (Zimmer) or set up the run with the pass (JDF). I know they do not have a line that will wear people down so that throws out the 82 redskins scenario.
Me either. This sounds like a grumpy old man comment by Z that is a little out of touch. These are the kinds of things that concern me about Zimmer.

"I've asked several players if they're listening to me or not, or if they quit listening to me," Zimmer said. "And not just them. I didn't ask them 'Do you?' but 'Did these guys stop listening to me?' and they said 'No.'

This comment also stuck out to me. I am wondering why he is asking. Because he also said in the presser that "the players are either not listening to me, not paying attention or don't care." Something to think about.

Honestly, I've been largely unimpressed with DeFillipo's game plans and play calling most of the year.  Let's face the facts...  we don't have an identity on offense.  I don't recall one game this season where it seemed like the Vikings offense was in control all game.  We've started fast in some games, but then we struggle to score points in the 2nd half or vice versa.  Something needs to change and this team absolutely needs to figure out how to run the football.
I thought we'd see a diverse offense that confused defenses with RPOs, misdirection plays, etc...  did he leave those plays in Philly?

Why are other teams successful in getting the ball to their backs as receivers?  The Aint's would be nowhere without Kamara.  He takes so much pressure off of Brees and Thomas and is a big reason why Brees' jersey is clean after the game.
I'll say it again, if the new NFL loves hybrid backs, and DeFillipo is this young, offensive genius, why aren't Cook and Boone used more this way?

Wetlander, you need time for misdirection to work. RBs, FBs, TEs,.Slot WRs, all of them get lost in the scrum and appear like magic past the trenches. But you need to at least have a stalemate at the Line long enough for that to happen.

When your interior is immediately blown up there's no scrum to sneak through. Just a wall of Defenders waiting to legally knock you down or off your route.

Ralphie, Cook is just not in the same league as a route runner or receiver as Hunt, Kamara, etc. It's why I lamented the loss of Jet. There's nobody on this roster that even has what D-Flip had in Philly with Clement.

I'm not saying Dalvin can't ever be that guy. But he just wasn't asked to do that in college and it will take some time. And that's only if he stays healthy.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Wetlander, you need time for misdirection to work. RBs, FBs, TEs,.Slot WRs, all of them get lost in the scrum and appear like magic past the trenches. But you need to at least have a stalemate at the Line long enough for that to happen.

When your interior is immediately blown up there's no scrum to sneak through. Just a wall of Defenders waiting to legally knock you down or off your route.

Ralphie, Cook is just not in the same league as a route runner or receiver as Hunt, Kamara, etc. It's why I lamented the loss of Jet. There's nobody on this roster that even has what D-Flip had in Philly with Clement.

I'm not saying Dalvin can't ever be that guy. But he just wasn't asked to do that in college and it will take some time. And that's only if he stays healthy.

RPOs and misdirection plays are all meant to confuse and slow down the defense...  look at Kansas City with the motioning Tyreek down the line before the snap and sometimes they hand it to him on an end around, other times they pitch it out to Hunt going the opposite direction, sometimes they throw it...  it's all meant to confuse the defense and get the DL and LBs to hold their spots for that half second needed to get to the edge or create a hole.
Last year, we were great at running multiple plays out of the same formation and catching defenses off-guard. This season I've seen bubble screens and end-arounds with WRs...  the problem is we keep going to the same play instead of doing something else off of it to keep the defense guessing.  I don't see any imagination out of this offense and that was what we were all sold when the Vikings hired Flip...
I see nothing that resembles the Philly offense under Pederson and Reich (remember Flip was just the QB coach)...  and I'm confused about your Clement comment...  he isn't even a big part of Philly's offense... and he's been used more as a change of pace rusher than a pass catching RB...  are you confusing him with Sproles or Smallwood?

Probably. My.point is that this team doesn't have an elite pass catching RB like the offensive juggernauts do.

Philly doesn't look like Philly anymore either, BTW. So that style of play calling is either dependent on Frank Reich or on not having a crappy O-Line. And with all the injuries the Eagles Line isn't playing well at all.

But your point is spot on about being multiple out of the same formation. The Rams run a million different plays out of 11 Personnel. Why can't D-Flip?

Quote: @FSUVike said:

Thanks, FSU and I do agree Cook or Boone is no Kamara, but as from what I have seen, they are very capable receivers.  And as Wetlander notes, DeFillipo's love of WR screens borders on obsession with little to show for it. 
I know there's a lot of woulda-coulda-shoulda in our frustrated comments, but great Odin's ghost, I want to see some more creativity out of this offense.