Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Vike Fans - 1970 season - Why? WHY? WHY?
Watched the Vikes Visual Past vid about the 1970 Vikings game vs. the Bears. Our D was just BALLIN'!!
That was a season that SHOULD have resulted in another Super Bowl just from a Defensive standpoint ONLY - 
The Vikings' defense became the second defense in the history of the NFL to lead the league in fewest points allowed and fewest total yards allowed for two consecutive seasons.
So we go to the fist Playoff game and LOSE 17 to 14 to the friggin 49ers led by future Senior Golf Tour Pro John Friggin Brodie. Still PISSES me off! But when your QB's are Bill Cappleman (rookie), Bob Lee and Gary Cuozzo - INSTEAD of Joe Kapp who Should have been our QB where he would have gotten our Vikes and his SB Ring! Shame on Vikings Ownership for not getting him signed to at least a two year extension during the 1969 season. The Only good thing that came of the 1970 season (plus 1971 of brutal QB play) is that we got Fran T. back under center in 1972. 

But unfortunately 1970 was another Missing Rings year for our team - sorry for the rant- the Vikes Visual Past vid roused a lot of memories of when I was a young fan.

I remember it well, and agree about the QB play. Wasn't much to pick from. 

Missed that one myself, but saw the missing rings.
My heartbreak started in the '70's

What, you guys weren't Cuozzo fans?  Yep, we should have realized then that it might be a long haul of disappointments. 

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
What, you guys weren't Cuozzo fans?  Yep, we should have realized then that it might be a long haul of disappointments. 
And..........they traded two #1's for Cuozzo. 

Like Joe Kapp would have been much better?  His 1970 stats with New England almost defy description:

98/219  44.7% 3 TD 17 INT Passer rating 32.6  (throwing every ball into the ground gets you a 39).  After that he was out of the league.

Kapp would have been better for one reason: keeping the picks they traded for Cuozzo. 

Hey...Gary was the best damn dentist to ever play the game! Wink
And we did get John Gilliam for him from the Cardinals in '71.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
Gilliam was a total stud WR.  Loved him when I was a kid.

Quote: @RS Express said:
Like Joe Kapp would have been much better?  His 1970 stats with New England almost defy description:

98/219  44.7% 3 TD 17 INT Passer rating 32.6  (throwing every ball into the ground gets you a 39).  After that he was out of the league.

Kapp would have been better for one reason: keeping the picks they traded for Cuozzo. 
Yes, that is correct. Its also correct in that he did not even get picked up by the Patriots until September of that season - meaning he had NO time to work out with the team during the long training camps of those days. He came in with Zero practice with his new teammates as the season started. He was screwed over by the Vikings in regards to his contract situation. Had the Vikes signed him to an extension before the 1969 season, he would have had the full preseason/training camp of 1970 and I would predict that he would have had a very good year.

So yes, he was out of football after that season - a season where he was put in an F'd up situation that was not winnable. Patriots sucked  - had no real talent to help him as well. But lets not forget that Rozelle and the NFL totally screwed him as well in regards to his contract at the end of the Patriots season, as well as the Patriots drafted young gun Jim Plunket in 71 and turned Kapp away while he tried to report to training camp in 71. All this lead to a Class Action law suit etc. which he won - AFTER four friggin years. Which led to the NFL revamping how they do contracts with players and payed millions to the Players Association. Basically his career got totally screwed over. BUT, he was able to begin his prestigious acting career!  

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Ralphie said:
Gilliam was a total stud WR.  Loved him when I was a kid.
Yes I thought Gilliam was very good as well. #42 I think, Seemed like an odd number for a WR