Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR Michael Floyd 'looks and acts like a #1 WR'
Ben Leber just mentioned this in a tweet about Viking's camp. That was the upside in taking a chance on this guy. Big guy, 6'2", 220+ lbs. Good speed. Former 1st round pick. Still young at 27 years old. If he can stay clean and healthy, he's going to make plays for this team when he gets back from his 4 game suspension. 

He's going to fall off the radar when the season starts. Would have been nice to have him from the get-go though.But I agree, I think he'll give the O some juice when he gets back. 

He may 'look and act like a #1 WR'...  but he's 4 years removed from producing like one... I think some fans are expecting too much from this signing. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
He may 'look and act like a #1 WR'...  but he's 4 years removed from producing like one... I think some fans are expecting too much from this signing. 
I tend to agree. Kid's been overrated since he was drafted. That said, he really is the only receiver on this team who has the necessary size, speed and springs to be a true deep threat. As good as Diggs, Thielen and Treadwell might be, none of them are really go-route guys. I suspect the Vikings will use Floyd mostly to fill that void. I'm not expecting a lot of catches for Floyd, but I'm betting his yards per catch will be the highest on the team. 

I actually don't see too many fans getting crazy over Floyd. Seems pretty realistic. I think what you are hearing is what he looks like in camp and that's a big bodied confident guy that acts like a #1 WR. I don't think its too much of a stretch to say the guy will make some plays this year. 

It was a really low risk signing and if he produces once he gets back, great.  If nothing else I believe it'll give Bradford another option, especially in the red zone and Lord knows they need all the red zone options they can get.

Diggs will be injured by the 5th game anyways so we'll need a #1 receiver. 

Anyway you want to look at it, Floyd
has 3 times as many 800 yard seasons as either Diggs or Theilen.  He’s the only receiver on the roster with a
1000+ yard season.  He has 3 seasons with
more TDs than Diggs best season.  Floyd
has had 800+ yards in 2013 (1000 yd+), 2014, 2015 followed by a down year in 2016 of
around ~500 yards while dealing with his DUI arrest and moving to NE.

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s an elite receiver, but he
has shown that he can consistently produce at a rate that’s about equivalent to
Diggs and Thielen.  I think it’s much
more a matter of whether he has sufficiently conquered his personal demons than
it is if he is any good at all.

I believe we all will look at it with a jaded eye.  Potential is there for both success and failure.

Quote: @medaille said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s an elite receiver, but he
has shown that he can consistently produce at a rate that’s about equivalent to
Diggs and Thielen.  I think it’s much
more a matter of whether he has sufficiently conquered his personal demons than
it is if he is any good at all.

So true.  And for those pointing out his lack of production in recent years, does any not think the alcohol may have affected his play?