Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyle Rudolph
This is more of a question for you all than a hot take, but what are the Vikings going to do with him?
He's set to earn 7ish mil next year, or they can cut him for nothing I believe. Prime re-structure candidate methinks, as we don't have anyone else on the roster who I'd trust to step in.

This year his production has stayed about the same as last year (less TDs though), even though our passing production has gone up. Cousins used Jordan Reed a ton in Washington, and DeFilippo used Ertz a ton in Philadelphia. So why isn't Kyle getting the love? Are they asking him to stay in and block a lot more?
I understand that Thielen and Diggs are both hyper-efficient so they will get the targets but I'm still a bit surprised Rudolph hasn't been more involved.
Bottom line- What is Kyle Rudolph's outlook for the rest of this season and possibly next? Thanks!

PS No I don't have Kyle on my fantasy team haha, I'm just surprised his numbers aren't higher.

To me, and I doubt this opinion will get much agreement on the board, but he's just a guy. He's a vet and has improved his blocking, so that's something I guess.

I love what Rudy brings to the table,  but IMO he isnt a 7 mill a year guy with the way they are using him,  but then again... I dont think any QB is worth the money they make either so....

Rudy is fine.  One of the best catching TEs in Viking history - keep him.

Check his stats.  He is one of the top TEs over the last few years.  I think it was TDs over the last 3 years?  not sure what else, but he is putting up good numbers.  That said, I agree with Jimmy, not sure he is worth 7 mil, but who is?

cap casualty

Yeah, seems every year people want to get rid of Rudolph because he's A, injury prone, or B, just a guy. This despite leading the NFL in consecutive games started (57), which is also a Vikings team record, and over the last 3 seasons, leads the league in TDs among TEs. In other words, more than Gronk, more than Kelce, more than Graham, Reed, etc. 

I would rank him top 10 in the league for sure, possibly top 5 in terms of overall TE production,  but it would be close.  people get so hung up on fantasy stats for players by postion they forget (or honestly never even knew in the first place)  what all goes into a positional role in a team game.  Let alone the nuances in a give scheme or even the game plan on a week by week basis.

and one might wonder why TE production is down for the Vikings this year.  But look at another year where Kyle didn't put up great fantasy stats and what is the common factor?  O-line issues.  I would bet our TEs are being asked to help in protections much more than last year when Reiff was healthy and locked down that LT spot.

Jordan and Ertz are far more athletic than Rudy and get wide spanking open against LBs and a lot of Safeties. Kyle only gets wide open on busted coverages.

He catches lots of TDs. That's invaluable and you don't cut that. And he can be a good blocker. But he doesn't do much outside of the RedZone.

Restructure his contract while also keeping an eye out for a true Move TE in the Draft or FA.

Folks, I watch the RedZone channel religously. Few teams don't have a truly athletic TE. The Vikings are one of those few. They need to get with the times at this spot just like they need an RB that can line up in WR spots and run wheel routes.