Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planes, Trains, and press box meals
“Tom is looking for a partner to help him work the New York game...This is a unique experience for you to see how the production of an NFL game happens”   
Interested was my response,  And that’s how it began.

I heard Paul Allen (voice of the Minnesota Vikings) talk to Chris Hawkeye on the radio Monday morning say about Hawkey catching Bruce Springsteen Saturday night in New York City before the Vikings faced the Jets this past Sunday.  He said “Life is about experiences man”  No! I shouted in my truck driving back from Chicago midway airport. “ Life is about relationships”.  This past weekend was proof for me that indeed life is about relationships.  You cannot go through life alone, you cannot have life alone. Genesis 2:18 says  God said, “It’s not good for the Man to be alone; I’ll make him a helper, a companion.” (msg)  Without relationships with others this opportunity would not have been possible. Without relationships this experience would have been vastly different.  

After expressing interest and being offered the “job” I began the task of figuring out the logistics of getting to New York, finding a place to stay and transportation to and from the game and back to the airport.  I have a tendancy to find the cheapest option, I guess having 6 kids has conditioned me to seek the most bang for my buck. Living in southeastern Iowa doesn’t facilitate easy access to an airport with non stop flights to one of the biggest cities in the united states.  The more time I spent in NY also meant more expense. My choice of flights would require me to drive 5 hours to Chicago Midway airport for a nonstop flight to Newark, NJ. so the flight was booked but I still had to find a place to stay and how I was going to get around.  After hours of searching and weighing the options my choice for hotel would place me near a train station that allowed me access everything I needed. I plowed into this task on my own. I clicked on book and then went to enter my login information, when the reservation was lost and now the hotel that I wanted was 30 dollars more per night, that I remembered I had a connection in New York.  In 2014 tailgating with Vikefans.com, a couple pulled in to tailgate next to us we pulled our chairs in and made room for them to tailgate next to us. They also had had forgotten to get ice. We offered them ice and cooler space and began to get to know Jon and Cordellia. It was a birthday celebration for Jon that Cordellia arranged for him. They had flown into Minneapolis from New York.  So I decided to send Jon a message on FB telling him about my opportunity to “work” the game and ask him the best place to stay and get around.
Jon responded with thoughts on transportation and places to stay and then offred space in their one bedroom apartment.  I would later find out that the apartment was in Manhaatan. In retrospect if I had not recalled the connection and thought about the relationship, I would have been “stuck” in a hotel in New Jersey by myself looking at the city.  

Thought about working with Tom would now occupy most of my thoughts and I could begin preparing for that experience.  Tom has worked his way “up” to covering all of the Vikings games. If you have not taken the time to watch his interviews, you're missing out.  Tom has a unique way of doing interviews. He asks questions that are not typical they are vastly different than your ho hum reporting that we normally see from your paid journalists.  Tom has built this opportunity by getting to know not only the people in the Vikings organization that are in charge but the little guys and it extends beyond that to workers on gameday from the parking lot attendant to the security guard standing outside the Vikings Locker room.  Tom is building relationships left and right, he’s made himself known in the Vikings organization and is making himself known on game day. It’s admirable what he does.

I could spend hours talking about the 44 hours I spent in New York.  There are so many unique things that I experienced in that short time.  Game day would begin with a cup of coffee and I would then decend on Manhaatan and navigate my way through the streets to the subway station ( note to self, check to see what subway train your getting on).  The plan was to meet Tom at the East Orange Train station at 8:30am where we would drive down to Met Life Stadium, the home of swirling winds, East Rutherford dust, two NFL teams and of course Jimmy Hoffa. I had plans to catch some of the Viking fans tailgating, as I knew there were two groups tailgating that morning.  There were many Vikings fans scattered throughout the parking lot as we drove in. We were not in the lot that the Viking tailgating was happening, and we decided to head into the stadium. Tom said you never know when the allow you in, in this case we could not get in until 10am. So we had 45 minutes and we went back and found one of the Viking fan groups tailgating.  “Each stadium does it different” Tom would say. We then discussed the appeal of the stadium we both felt it was nothing special, rather drab. It looked like a large parking structure to me.

We found one of the groups tailgating in Lot B, it was a mix of “local” Viking fans.  I was expecting a lager group but was told that others were on their way. Met Life Stadium as you know is about 15 miles or so outside of New York.  There is lots of parking all around the stadium and bus and train lines that lead to the stadium. Earlier in the week I kept checking facebook looking for those that would be going to the game and tailgating.  It’s always great to meet those people you encounter and “friend” in person. Peter Weeks and John Couch and family greeted us and it was like we all had known each other for a long time. It’s good to “know” people especially when your traveling and into “enemy” territory.  Our time quickly passed and it came time for us to enter the stadium.
to be Continued...

Standing at the ticket booth and giving her our names to see her take the highlighter out and cross out our names and hand us our credentials was really cool.  I wanted to take a picture, no I wanted to have a video of the whole freakin experience. Tom checked the passes to see where they would allow us to go, he said again that every stadium is different as to where your allowed to go.  The past few games they have been tightening down access to various areas, specifically on field access. I had mentally prepared for this experience not only press access to the game but for New York by somewhat keeping my emotions in check and acting like I had been here before.  I have worked in a press box before on the high school level at the metrodome, so this was somewhat familiar and not a complete surprise. The pressbox is a working environment. Which means you are to not wear team apparel, colors or logos etc… and you are not to be cheering, expressing disgust etc…  So I was fine with that except I did break the rule one small way. I wore my Viking socks, I would have wore my Viking underwear but I rarely wear underwear even though this was a special occasion. Smile
Our task at this point in the day was to get our bearings.  There is a chart posted on the wall with names/organization and your placement in the pressbox.  We found where our spot was and then went to gather game day materials, which consisted of a packet of printed materials of information that one would use to write a story or give a radio/tv broadcast.  Game day roster charts, rosters. 2018 Vikings media guides. We grabbed each one of them and a few extras and made our way to our spot. We were situated in the corner of the non windy endzone, the first row of the pressbox.  We then located the bathrooms and the feeding zone. Each stadium takes care of the press in different ways, some are better than others. We would be in the others category. Tom would point out to me various people and we would spend a few minutes chatting with Pete Bercich.  We then made our way down to the bowels of the stadium to find the locker room and the press room. Along the way Tom would stop and ask various security personal where things were, it was his way of making not only finding out out where things were but of building a relationship with people that may come in handy.  I felt like a kid on “bring your kid to work” day. It was really cool to see how Tom had developed the access that he has been allowed to have. It took us a while to find the Vikings locker room, which we were not allowed to enter at the time. It took awhile because Met Life is a shared stadium so you have the Giants Locker room and the Jets locker room.  There was no big Visitor or Vikings locker room sign and we got conflicting directions from various personnel it wasn’t until we talked with the alcohol compliance “officer” did we find out where they were hiding the Vikings. After finding the locker room and the tunnel that the Vikings were to use to enter and exit the field we went to do the first of two pregame reports that Tom does.   Tom’s relationship building, which I realized now is information gathering as well which he beautifully incorporates into the 2 min reports that he does. It’s not scripted, all the while he’s meeting and greeting he’s preparing for those 2 mins.
The logistics that go into an NFL game are amazing.  Transportation to and from the game for stadium support, security, fans and players and the press that cover it, is mind boggling.  And the “finished” picture we see on game day just doesn’t tell the whole story. I find the backstory to be rather fascinating. One of the materials in the media packs we picked up had a choreographed list of what was going to happen, before you jump out of your seat and say “I knew the NFL was fixed”!  It was a timeline list of what was to take place on a minute by minute basis. National anthem, Vikings enter the field, jets enter the field, coin toss etc… Now that doesn’t put to rest the NFL is fixed conspiracy, but there is a method to game day and there is a way things work. It just doesn’t happen spontaneously.  

Tom was busy editing and posting the pregame videos and I took the opportunity to get some breakfast available for the press,  I tried to get some grub from the buffet set out for the FOX sports team, but was turned down. It did look much better that the fare that was put out from the Met Life staff.  I wish I could rave about the food but I can’t it was just food. I met Chris Tomlinson and he’s actually a tall guy and a very nice guy, I didn’t really have a good impression of him put he’s a passionate sports fan.  I saw PA and well PA is PA I would have talked with PA but I don’t think it’s “cool” to talk to another guy and shake their hand in the restroom, same goes for Zygi Wilf. The restroom is not the time to get all excited and “gush” over a “celebrity”   
The time went fast and it was not game time for me it was time to set back and enjoy the game, or at least try to enjoy the game.  I’m trying to keep myself in check, somewhat detach the fan emotions and I found that I enjoyed watching the game that way. It was matter of fact, and I enjoyed listening to the various journalists make comments and discuss things about the jets and players.  We were next to a couple of reporters that did not exactly follow the decorum of a working press room. I kept track of Adam Theilen’s yardage by good old fashioned paper and pen and Tom tweeted his experience to a ever growing crowd of tweeties (if that’s the right word)  after each quarter someone would come around with a stat sheet with all the information and play by play from the quarter. Announcements would be made over the loudspeaker on the status of injured players. I wish I could say that the game went by fast but you saw it, it lasted about 30 minutes longer than it should have.  We left the press box before the game was over to get our place in line outside the locker room. While we were making our way down to the tunnel outside the locker room the Vikings put up 10 points. The game ended and coaches and players made their way into the locker room, not all at once some ran up the tunnel, some limped.  After sometime the doors to the locker room were opened and we were allowed to enter. The locker room was not exactly spacious, I made an effort to keep my head up and camera pointed down as we made our way through the strewn socks, jock straps jersey’s, tape etc… on the floor. The mood in the room was rather upbeat. I think we all expected for the Vikings to win so that might be why it was not overly excited.  It was just a good team taking care of a team that they should have beat. That being my only experience in an NFL locker room it was hard to tell if it was normal or not. Trying to act professional and not a giddy fan might have something to do with it. I saw Greg Collman doing an interview and he sat down next to him and I could hear in my mind interviews that he does each week and it was cool to get the real picture of how and the setting of those interviews.  Tom told me that don’t be surprised it Diggs comes up and gives you a hug. Diggs was rather subdude and had his back turned to the reporters milling about. He was in between Adam Theilen and Aldrick Robinson. He did turn around for a while as reporters were asking Adam questions, at one point PA came by glad handing players and when he got to Adam, Adam grabbed his sides and commented to PA that he had been doing or should do some more side planks. PA appeared to take offense and walk off mumbling about side planks.  I said to Adam that he should send PA a bill for training advice. The time in the locker room went fast, three interviews Dan Bailey, Latavious Murray and Brian Oneal were recorded and we made our way out of the locker room. And like that the experience was over. I know that it is and experience that I will never forget. I’ve had lots of amazing experiences in my life, I know that I’ve been afforded opportunities that not everyone gets. Experiences happen but they just don’t just happen, they are a result of relationships, experiences are best when shared with others. I think Adam Theilen summed it up best in his interview with Courtney Cronin of ESPN "I got a lot of really good people around me," Thielen said. "You know this game -- obviously, life is all about the people that are around you"   Thanks Tom for including me on this journey for giving me the opportunity to experience another side of the NFL and of the Vikings.  Ohh and what did they server for lunch at halftime? Mozzarella cheese sticks and vegetables. No wonder the Vikings have not won against the Jets in New York err Jersey before Sunday.  

how many words?  :p

Thank you for sharing your experience Papa.  Love it.

Quote: @greediron said:
how many words?  :p
7,780   Too long according to the software.  bwahhhaaa

Quote: @greediron said:
Thanks and there is so much more, my poor clients have to hear it all...

thanks  and  how very  cool for  you to experience this papa

Quote: @PapaScott said:
@greediron said:
Thanks and there is so much more, my poor clients have to hear it all...
Hmm, maybe I need to fly down for a haircut...

Great, passionate write-up Papa - thanks for sharing.  That's awesome you were able to make the trip!