Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case closed: Vikings look wise for moving on from Keenum
Apparently that horseshoe Case Keenum carried around with him in Minnesota last season is long gone and so is the adulation that followed him throughout his magical year in purple.

Signed to a two-year, $36 million free-agent deal last March by Denver, Keenum was booed by Broncos fans during a 23-20 loss to the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday. It got so bad that when backup Chad Kelly came in for one play to take a knee before halftime, Denver fans cheered because they believed Keenum had been benched. The Broncos were down 13-3 at the time.

What Denver fans didn’t know, or didn’t care about, was that Keenum was being checked for a concussion. He returned for the second half and again heard the boos.
“Yeah, I heard it,” said Keenum, who finished 25-of-41 for 322 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. “It’s not the first time the crowd has been unhappy with what’s going on. They should be pissed. I’m pissed.”
The Broncos are learning why the Vikings weren’t willing to make a long-term investment after last season and, instead, signed free-agent Kirk Cousins to a three-year, $84 million contract.
Keenum, 30, had been a backup for the majority of his career when he signed with the Vikings before 2017 to serve in that same role behind Sam Bradford. But Bradford’s season was ruined by a knee injury after Week 1 and Keenum played at an MVP-level for much of the year. He started 14 of the final 15 regular-season games — Bradford attempted to start at Chicago but could barely move and was replaced by Keenum — and passed for 3,547 yards, 22 touchdowns and had a 93.8 passer rating.
Keenum’s ability to keep plays alive proved to be a key factor in his success as the Vikings went 13-3, but it made coach Mike Zimmer nervous.  Zimmer said after one win that it was as if Keenum was playing with a horseshoe because he was so getting so fortunate. Keenum, whose magical ride came to an end in the NFC championship game, threw seven interceptions and lost one fumble in the regular season.
The Vikings, though, showed little interest in moving forward with Keenum. Enter the Broncos. So far, they have gotten the pre-2017 version of Keenum. Denver is 2-4 and Keenum has throw one more interception than he threw in 15 games last season. Those eight interceptions are tied for the NFL lead and give Keenum one more pick than touchdown pass.
Keenum ranks 28th out of 34 quarterbacks in passer rating (80.5), is 23rd in completion percentage (63.1) and 29th in total QBR (38.8).  Cousins ranks 10th in passer rating (102.7), is third in completion percentage (71.2) and seventh in total QBR (70.2). Cousins has thrown only three interceptions, but he has lost five of six fumbles.
That means in six games Cousins has accounted for eight turnovers, or the same total that Keenum had during the 2017 regular season.  Nonetheless, the Vikings (3-2-1) have to be very happy with their decision to move on from Keenum.
Keenum isn’t the only problem in Denver but as the quarterback he’s the easiest guy for frustrated fans to boo. Those fans also know that Broncos football boss John Elway signed Keenum and drafted defensive end Bradley Chubb with the fifth pick instead of taking Josh Allen or Josh Rosen.
Elway was an all-time great at quarterback but his inability to find one for the Broncos has been alarming.
Keenum certainly doesn’t appear to be that guy. He reminded Denver of that in the third quarter Sunday when he tossed an interception in Los Angeles territory with the Broncos trailing by 17 points. Keenum also threw two key incompletions in the fourth quarter with the Broncos deep in Rams territory.
Those are the exact struggles the Vikings feared might return if they had stuck with Keenum. The Broncos’ decision-makers were not as astute and are paying the price for that.

http://www.1500espn.com/news/2018/10/zul...ng-keenum/

This won't sit well with a select few. Why, I have no idea. Its obvious. If the Viking's D hadn't been playing so badly, the organization would be hailed as geniuses for the Cousins signing. 

One interesting thing I heard about the Broncos yesterday is that Broncos left tackle Garett Bolles led the league in holding calls last season with 10. This year he's on pace for 16. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
One interesting thing I heard about the Broncos yesterday is that Broncos left tackle Garett Bolles led the league in holding calls last season with 10. This year he's on pace for 16. 
If Bolles was protecting Aaron Rodgers blind side, he'd be on pace for 0 holding calls. 

Ok I get it winning is everything. Boo... However Case threw for 322 yards and 2 TDs in a 20-23 lose to maybe the best team in the league this year. They're just bitter they didn't get Cousins and taking it out on Case. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Ok I get it winning is everything. Boo... However Case threw for 322 yards and 2 TDs in a 20-23 lose to maybe the best team in the league this year. They're just bitter they didn't get Cousins and taking it out on Case. 
Broncos have 2 wins, Vikings have 3. Its not just about winning. They aren't bitter they didn't get Cousins, they are bitter because the Broncos front office sold the Keenum signing as the next coming. So did the local media, basically low level bashing the Vikings for letting him go. They hyped it BIG time, go back and read the stories on it. And Chad Kelly had a nice preseason (like that means anything) so fans being fans, they are pounding the drum for him since Keenum has been struggling. They now have it in their minds, fairly or not, that Keenum is very limited so lets try Kelly. Not surprising. 

I think the players on the Broncos love Case and are 100% behind him. Its fans being fans. 

Case isn't good enough to carry any team.  Neither is Cousins.  I'd bet if Case was the QB for the Rams, and Goff was the QB for the Broncos, Case would be the winning QB.

Case was sucessful in Minnesota because of the team he played on.  Cousins should have a better season this year than prior years with Washington for the same reason.

Are there posters here that actually think Case is a better QB than Cousins?  If so, I haven't seen their posts.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Case isn't good enough to carry any team.  Neither is Cousins.  I'd bet if Case was the QB for the Rams, and Goff was the QB for the Broncos, Case would be the winning QB.

Case was sucessful in Minnesota because of the team he played on.  Cousins should have a better season this year than prior years with Washington for the same reason.

Are there posters here that actually think Case is a better QB than Cousins?  If so, I haven't seen their posts.
I don't think anyone was necessarily that definitive, but there were plenty of people as we headed down the stretch (I'd say about 40% or better) who thought the Vikings were foolish for even considering moving on from Case Keenum. 

I just don't think Case is playing all that much differently than last season.  He's just on a crappier team, and they're not winning.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
I just don't think Case is playing all that much differently than last season.  He's just on a crappier team, and they're not winning.
It's hard to say. I haven't really watched him, but his numbers aren't that bad, and Denver has huge problems elsewhere, particularly on their line and and on defense. They've now had two straight games where the opposing back has rushed for over 200 yards. 

But if you're saying that Case is a product of his supporting cast, both in Minnesota and Denver, then you're just restating the point that so many of us tried to make last year.