Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Overreaction or not? Week 6 style
Adam Thielen is the best wide receiver in the NFLThielen had 11 catches for 123 yards in Minnesota's victory over Arizona on Sunday. He's the first player in 57 years to open a season with six consecutive games of at least 100 receiving yards. His 58 catches are an NFL record for the first six games of a season. He has caught a touchdown pass in four of the Vikings' six games.
Graziano's verdict: NOT AN OVERREACTION. This isn't new. Vikings teammate Stefon Diggs is great, and will always be the Minneapolis Miracle guy, but Thielen's been outplaying him for more than a season and a half now. He finished fifth in the league last season in receiving yards and eighth in catches. It's no surprise Kirk Cousins has locked in on him. He might not get the pub that Antonio BrownDeAndre HopkinsJulio Jones and Odell Beckham get. But if you're lucky enough to have Thielen on your fantasy team, you know he's playing better than all of them.

I'm not sure he is actually outplaying Diggs. He is having an historic start to the season, but if the top cb's were shadowing AT and Diggs was being targeted as much as Thielen.....?

Can't underestimate the value of having them both.

Fans and media are too attached to their bold statements. Like I always say about almost every player...is he the best player at his position in the NFL? Maybe. He might very well be "right now." But was he that 4 weeks ago? What about 4 weeks from now? What about next year? What about all those potentially great receivers whose stats suffer due to poor QB play? What about his own teammate who tends to draw the defense's best cornerback? There's a lot of context to consider.  

And before anyone thinks I'm slamming Mr. Thielen, I'm not. I'm super jacked that we have two of the best receivers in the NFL, and a QB who can consistently find the open one. I don't feel a need to declare one better than the other. 

Who would I take in a vacuum? I'm starting a new team and I can take one receiver from the Vikings, each costing me the same amount, who do I take? Now that's a tough call. I suspect the answer to that question would change on a weekly basis. 

People underestimate Thielen and his athleticism, including commentators, analysts and even Vikings fans.  For instance, early in the game yesterday one of the commentators said something like, "Thielen won't 'wow' you with his athleticism like someone such as Diggs..."  Of course that was prior to a couple of the wow catches Thielen made.  So, where is the actual proof that Diggs is far more athletic?  People will say that regional combine performances aren't as official, but even prior to NFL conditioning Thielen ran in a 4.45 40 and a 6.77 three cone drill at his.  Diggs' combine was a 4.46 and a 7.03 for the same drills.  They're both several years now from that but watching them both run around the field I certainly wouldn't say there's a discernible difference between their speed and quickness - and it's difficult to say anyone has better hands than Thielen. 

Similar in fashion to MB, I'm not slamming Mr. Diggs, but I think there is A reason Thielen's performance may not be as "approved" as others from some people... 

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
People underestimate Thielen and his athleticism, including commentators, analysts and even Vikings fans.  For instance, early in the game yesterday one of the commentators said something like, "Thielen won't 'wow' you with his athleticism like someone such as Diggs..."  Of course that was prior to a couple of the wow catches Thielen made.  So, where is the actual proof that Diggs is far more athletic?  People will say that regional combine performances aren't as official, but even prior to NFL conditioning Thielen ran in a 4.45 40 and a 6.77 three cone drill at his.  Diggs' combine was a 4.46 and a 7.03 for the same drills.  They're both several years now from that but watching them both run around the field I certainly wouldn't say there's a discernible difference between their speed and quickness - and it's difficult to say anyone has better hands than Thielen. 

Similar in fashion to MB, I'm not slamming Mr. Diggs, but I think there is A reason Thielen's performance may not be as "approved" as others from some people... 
Agree and disagree. Don't mistake athletic measurables for athleticism. I don't care what his combine numbers were, Diggs has the best feet I've ever seen.

But you're right in that Thielen seems to suffer from what some might call a "color bias" in that you don't expect a guy that white and that big to run that fast and be that precise in his routes and, oh by the way, he also catches everything. 

We did a comparison this summer about who Thielen's comp was. And it was damn difficult. I think mine was maybe Isaac Bruce? It's very rare for a receiver to do so many things as well as Thielen does. 

Is there really a debate over which one of our wide receivers are better? A debate that we participate in and get heated about?

Quote: @KingBash said:
Is there really a debate over which one of our wide receivers are better? A debate that we participate in and get heated about?
Yes. Is Crockett really the same without Tubbs?

Are the Avengers the same with just Thor or just the Hulk?

Is a PB&J sammich the same with only one ingredient?

Neither would be as good without the other.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@KingBash said:
Yes. Is Crockett really the same without Tubbs?

Are the Avengers the same with just Thor or just the Hulk?

Is a PB&J sammich the same with only one ingredient?

Neither would be as good without the other.
The Hulk doesn't need Thor. Hulk smash. 

I can’t tell a difference between Thielen and Diggs in terms
of athleticism.  I think they’re
equivalent players for all real purposes. 
I imagine if you had them switch Jerseys and skin color, most people
wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in how their physical attributes
translate to the field.

I do think that Thielen probably gets an easier matchup on
average because he spends more time in the slot, but I don’t think that diminishes
his accomplishments in any way, because both he and Diggs can get open
regardless of where they line up or who they line up against, and Thielen is
putting highlight worthy plays on tape every week.  Is there any receiver in the league that has
more spectacular catches than Thielen right now?  More diving catches.  More toe taps.  More catches at the edge of his catch radius.

No doubt that opposing teams aren't treating Thielen like the #1 WR, they are on Diggs. That might change.