Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xavier Rhodes
Still not playing well, leaving big cushions, missing tackles.  I’m not sure what is going on with him this year but he has not been his old self.  I hope he can turn it around before the Saints game or Thomas and Brees are going to light him up.

Dirty Harry had a few blitzes today, but overall doesn't appear to be his old self either...

Age? These position-guys are at their peak in their mid/late twenties. They rely on athleticism. They're both getting up there. The T. Newmans and Woodsons are rare.

They've been almost super human since drafted... maybe we're seeing a natural decline. 

I'm not sure what's going on with Rhodes this year. Teams are doing a good job of completing passes in front of him and he's not really breaking up passes right now.

With Smith, it seemed like the Saints and Eagles demonstrated how to attack him in the playoffs and he hasn't been the same player since. He still makes some splash plays, like the sack today, but in coverage he tends to always be a step behind and not closing in hard like we're used to seeing.

I have two other thoughts that I'm not sure about. We seem to be running different coverages this year and it seems like more than I'm used to seeing, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm also curious if the amount of misdirection we're seeing is forcing the secondary to be less aggressive/more disciplined? Maybe they are OK with Rhodes allowing more completions in front of him if it reduces the number of big plays they are giving up?

Before the drive where Arizona scored to make it 27-17 toward the end, Rosen had around 185 yards passing....so its not like the Viking's D stunk out loud in pass coverage. Rhodes just turned 28 years old in June, its not an age thing, lol. I do think that some parts of Zimmer's scheme have been game planned for when it comes to the LBs, but then how do you explain the excellent 3rd down defense? Its been extremely good. 

One game at a time, but they are now 3-2-1 and currently would be a 6th seed in the NFC playoffs. Right there for the NFCN crown. It doesn't matter now what's happened in the past, their destiny is firmly in their hands which is great. 0/10 on 3rd downs and 0/2 on 4th downs yesterday is what Arizona was. Can't complain too much.

I got berated for suggesting we trade XR and get some OL help for him and probably a high pick.  Realistically I think we could have gotten a starter on the OL and a second round pick for him.  Then keep Waynes and Hughes as your starters for next year.

Unless its a QB or LT or someone intimately special like Harrison Smith (I don't put XR in that category) you sell high and buy low. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
 Dirty Harry had a few blitzes today, but overall doesn't appear to be his old self either...
I noticed that last week as well, something a bit off

Quote: @AGRforever said:
I got berated for suggesting we trade XR and get some OL help for him and probably a high pick.  Realistically I think we could have gotten a starter on the OL and a second round pick for him.  Then keep Waynes and Hughes as your starters for next year.

Unless its a QB or LT or someone intimately special like Harrison Smith (I don't put XR in that category) you sell high and buy low. 

And now Hughes is likely out for the season. In this era of Offense being given almost every advantage we need a bounty of decent DBs.

i dont think its necessarily a drop off by Rhodes or Smith,  its how the league is enforcing the illegal contact/holding on DBs this year.  Our guys used to get away with a little rub or grab here or there,  but the officials have been told to call all the contact after 5 yards so its a big adjustment, especially for a bigger back covering a smaller shiftier WR, they have to give them a bit more of a cushion now because they arent allowed to bump them off their routes.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
i dont think its necessarily a drop off by Rhodes or Smith,  its how the league is enforcing the illegal contact/holding on DBs this year.  Our guys used to get away with a little rub or grab here or there,  but the officials have been told to call all the contact after 5 yards so its a big adjustment, especially for a bigger back covering a smaller shiftier WR, they have to give them a bit more of a cushion now because they arent allowed to bump them off their routes.
Now just imagine that Holton Hill was out there and got burned here and there when Waynes or Hughes wasn't available but Kirk didn't fumble 5x because he had 3+ seconds to pass.  Not to mention we would have a high pick as well.  If Zimmer is a DB whisperer then he needs to whisper to some of the new talent as well.  We shouldn't need perennial probowlers at CB for his defense to work.