Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Does anyone here want to own a self-driving car?
Maybe it's a generational thing?

After working as a market researcher for big food most of my adult years, my encore career has been working for a name brand European marquee selling cars. I just shake my head at the appeal of self-driving features among my prospect customers.

Maybe I dont get it due to my age and/or cause I actually like to drive?

The theory is good, I just don't trust the technology.
I'm not going to put my life and the lives of my family in the hands of engineers who had the lowest bid.

Its coming...actually, its already happening. Millennials don't care about car ownership, really....the expense of it. They just want to get from Point A to Point B and Uber/Lyft does that just fine. Car costs, insurance, maintenance, depreciation.....for what really is what they ask? Owning a car used to mean independence, but you can get around just fine today without owning a vehicle. A record number of driver's license-aged kids are NOT getting their licenses. 

The times, they are a changin'.  

I like to drive, but I agree with Sticky. The whole "sharing" thing is taking over. There are bikes and scooters and cars that you can access in seconds...

My 17 corolla will keep you between the lines and has radar cruise control and auto brakes.  Not sure if that counts?
We bought it on purpose with those features and were impressed enough that we bought a new minivan with even better features. 

I can confirm that I would have rear ended another car had it not been for the auto braking feature, so it has saved me from what would have been my first accident. 

I don't trust the car to drive itself but it can do some fill in here and there and at a minimum warn me when it thinks things are not good. 

I'm just short of 40 yrs old and put on +25k miles a year.  Thats almost 20 days of my life per year that I spend driving.  Or even more if you only count waking hours.  I'll happily hand over the controls to a computer.  Where do I sign up?

No!  I want a 67 “Goat”!

No  I want a 64 implant so convertible like the one in ice cubes video it was a good day sweet as old car

Quote: @AGRforever said:
My 17 corolla will keep you between the lines and has radar cruise control and auto brakes.  Not sure if that counts?
We bought it on purpose with those features and were impressed enough that we bought a new minivan with even better features. 

I can confirm that I would have rear ended another car had it not been for the auto braking feature, so it has saved me from what would have been my first accident. 

I don't trust the car to drive itself but it can do some fill in here and there and at a minimum warn me when it thinks things are not good. 

I'm just short of 40 yrs old and put on +25k miles a year.  Thats almost 20 days of my life per year that I spend driving.  Or even more if you only count waking hours.  I'll happily hand over the controls to a computer.  Where do I sign up?
Brilliant how mfgrs are taking these semi-autonomous features and packaging them for safety. Adds margin and (the best part of it is) that it can make cars safer today. So I'm all in on those. 

I sell sports cars (along with x-overs) and when I get a sports car customer asking me about the autonomous features I want to punch em in the face lol! 

My wife just ordered a car that will parallel park itself - she's always been parking challenged, so a dream come true for her. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Its coming...actually, its already happening. Millennials don't care about car ownership, really....the expense of it. They just want to get from Point A to Point B and Uber/Lyft does that just fine. Car costs, insurance, maintenance, depreciation.....for what really is what they ask? Owning a car used to mean independence, but you can get around just fine today without owning a vehicle. A record number of driver's license-aged kids are NOT getting their licenses. 

The times, they are a changin'.  
True dat...

I saw the tsunami beginning to rise back when my now 25 year old was 15...little to no interest in driving. I thought I just had a weird kid and then I saw how much of a generational thing it was. The internet changed everything. Now newer generations who will be more fiscally challenged then their parents generation need to find ways to save $$ and spend it against things more important to them than a car. 

I believe it is the future. I believe things like these make me fear the future. Then I try something new and say that's damn cool. Us 70's guys need dragging into the future.