Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where's George?
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikin...aying-time

“When George gets an opportunity, he’ll get an opportunity,” Zimmer said. “I have complete confidence in him.

Why did we even bother to sign him and waste cap space if he won't use him? Another baffling
coaching mystery by Zimmer. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
Why did we even bother to sign him and waste cap space if he won't use him? Another baffling
He was dirt cheap, vet minimum but its obvious he was signed as a backup. I think the fans expected a lot more but the coaches weren't planning on making him a major part of the D outside of injury. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"TBro" said:
He was dirt cheap, vet minimum but its obvious he was signed as a backup. I think the fans expected a lot more but the coaches weren't planning on making him a major part of the D outside of injury. 
Sticky, my issue with this is that I want the best DB's we have on the field. Even if it means that Zimmer has to create some looks that incorporate Smith, Sendejo, and Iloka playing at the same time to give opposing offenses something to think about why not do it? It was alluded to by the coaching staff when the signing was announced. If your telling me that Iloka isn't one of the better DB's we have, especially with his proven coverage skills, then maybe he has regressed beyond what we have been told and the Bengals cut him for more than just cap savings. He got 1 special teams snap against the Rams and that is it. Just doesn't make any sense. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"TBro" said:
Sticky, my issue with this is that I want the best DB's we have on the field. Even if it means that Zimmer has to create some looks that incorporate Smith, Sendejo, and Iloka playing at the same time to give opposing offenses something to think about why not do it? It was alluded to by the coaching staff when the signing was announced. If your telling me that Iloka isn't one of the better DB's we have, especially with his proven coverage skills, then maybe he has regressed beyond what we have been told and the Bengals cut him for more than just cap savings. He got 1 special teams snap against the Rams and that is it. Just doesn't make any sense. 
He's not playing for a reason. I would guess the coaching staff knows better than we do and what they care about is getting the best guys out there. Its the same with the offensive line: if we had better players on the bench, maybe a few would be starting. There's no other reasoning that makes sense, at least to me. The most obvious answer is usually the right one. JMO.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"TBro" said:
He's not playing for a reason. I would guess the coaching staff knows better than we do and what they care about is getting the best guys out there. Its the same with the offensive line: if we had better players on the bench, maybe a few would be starting. There's no other reasoning that makes sense, at least to me. The most obvious answer is usually the right one. JMO.
There's alot of truth in what you're saying.  But I also know that it is possible for coaches to become biased by what they believe a player can do... rather than what he's actually doing.  I'm sure that I've been guilty of it... and I'm absolutely positive that some of the other coaches I know are guilty of it, too.  It's almost like those of us- who are not their coaches- are sometimes able to have a more objective opinion of a player, because all we can see is what they do (or don't do) on the field.  Coaches get certain opinions into their heads about players... and it colors what they see on the field.  So, it's possible that "we" might be right about players sometimes- because we're not as biased as the coaches.  (Like playing Remmer at RG, for example!!!)