Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Keenum is who Zimmer and Vikes's brass thought he was....
No starting QB has a worse passer rating throwing from in the pocket that Keenum. Great guy, good leader, can move around but ultimately is limited. His QB rating of 72.1 is worst among starters other than Josh Allen of the Bills and its really not close. Only 3 TDs thrown and 6 INTs. Completion % is brutal. 

I'm glad the guy got paid this year, I really am because he's such a good dude. But Minnesota was 100% correct in letting him go. Same with Bradford. The Vikings have issues, but it sure isn't at the QB spot for once.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/10/2/1...tract-welp

I loved Case and the passion and joy he brought to the team. They were a bunch of kids having fun on the playground. If Zimmer was so right about anything it sure wasn't how to stop teams from scoring on him. He's been plenty wrong to. That said I'm happy with Kirk. Even if I miss the duck, duck goose. There's not much joy this year.
Thanks for the fun Case. Sorry things aren't working out for you. Hey at least your not Sam.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
I loved Case and the passion and joy he brought to the team. They were a bunch of kids having fun on the playground. If Zimmer was so right about anything it sure wasn't how to stop teams from scoring on him. He's been plenty wrong to. 
Yeah, he has been wrong but this is different: the team went 13-3 and Keenum played very well. They went to the NFCC game. Yet when it came time to sign him up, the team passed. That got a lot of outside scrutiny and they faded heat for it as an organization. Some pundits railed against it, etc. Yet they held firm after giving it a ton of review, I'm sure. And they were absolutely correct.

So if you want to be mad at Zimmer because the D has shit the bed so far, that's cool. But last year under Keenum was not sustainable, it wouldn't have been replicated and Zimmer and Viking's brass knew it. It was a bold move regardless. Some fans in this forum were pissed and being fans, they got attached to Keenum and the Cinderella story. The prudent move was to wish him well and let him go elsewhere and that's exactly what happened. Full credit to the Vikings for doing so.

love Case. Did a great job. But if this defense was half as good as last year’s, we are at least 3-1 and super pscyhed about what Kirk is going to be. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
I loved Case and the passion and joy he brought to the team. They were a bunch of kids having fun on the playground. If Zimmer was so right about anything it sure wasn't how to stop teams from scoring on him. He's been plenty wrong to. 
Yeah, he has been wrong but this is different: the team went 13-3 and Keenum played very well. They went to the NFCC game. Yet when it came time to sign him up, the team passed. That got a lot of outside scrutiny and they faded heat for it as an organization. Some pundits railed against it, etc. Yet they held firm after giving it a ton of review, I'm sure. And they were absolutely correct.

So if you want to be mad at Zimmer because the D has shit the bed so far, that's cool. But last year under Keenum was not sustainable, it wouldn't have been replicated and Zimmer and Viking's brass knew it. It was a bold move regardless. Some fans in this forum were pissed and being fans, they got attached to Keenum and the Cinderella story. The prudent move was to wish him well and let him go elsewhere and that's exactly what happened. Full credit to the Vikings for doing so.
Why did you only quote part of me? I did say I'm happy with the Kirk decision. I was only pointing out there's no magic this year. Case for all his flaws was a big part of that magic. I know it was not going to work long term. Nothing is working this year but Kirk. It's not fun. I'm just thinking of happier days not so long ago.

@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:

Why did you only quote part of me? I did say I'm happy with the Kirk decision. I was only pointing out there's no magic this year. Case for all his flaws was a big part of that magic. I know it was not going to work long term. Nothing is working this year but Kirk. It's not fun. I'm just thinking of happier days not so long ago.
I just quoted the part I disagreed with. The lack of magic this year has nothing to do with Kirk Cousins, that's my only point. They caught lightning in a bottle last year with Keenum, but ultimately got waxed against the Eagles. I take last year for what it was, a moment in time that I'll always love and appreciate, but letting Keenum go has nothing to do with the current team's issues. And my point was they were right to let him go. That's it really. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:

I just quoted the part I disagreed with. The lack of magic this year has nothing to do with Kirk Cousins, that's my only point. They caught lightning in a bottle last year with Keenum, but ultimately got waxed against the Eagles. I take last year for what it was, a moment in time that I'll always love and appreciate, but letting Keenum go has nothing to do with the current team's issues. And my point was they were right to let him go. That's it really. 

Cool we agree to agree. My misunderstanding.

I do miss the way Case can excape poor pass protection and make plays.  Cousins is a way better "pure" passer, but doesn't move anywhere near as well as Case.  Kirk hasn't consistently shown the ability to "step-up" to avoid outside pressure like Case can.  At times, I think Kirk actually looks awkward trying to avoid pressure.

While I agree Kirk is better than all three options on the team last year, I'm more than skeptical he's the "franchise QB" we've all been waiting for.  His fumbling is a real problem (35 since 2015), and he hasn't won me over yet as the new "face of the Vikings".  There's room for improvement for Kirk, and I hope he can continue to get better.

If we could combine the way Case moves around with Cousins throwing ability, then I believe we'd really have something.  B)

@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:

You bring up a good point about magic. Last year was on another level. And of course the end outcome sucked. But it was exciting. It certainly was electric to see in person. 

This year has some excitement on offense but the defense is putrid. They are going through growing pains. I don't care what anyone says losing BRob and Everson is huge. And especially since there is a great deal of uncertainty about Everson. But they are trying to find their identity and cohesiveness as a unit. So that counteracts the excitement on offense. I really hope they can come together and work through the roller coaster ride. 

I loved Case and hated to see him go.  Case is the prototypical "overachiever".  A smart, hardworking guy who set major college records and has everything you'd want in a team mate.  Just not "the arm".
If we had the Cowboys O line of the 90's, our current receivers and RB's would be almost impossible to stop even with Case.  Kirk can overcome a lot of flaws in this O.  Case couldn't.