Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT- Bummed. My kids season probably over.
last Wednesday my son made a tackle at practice and came up holding his thumb.  I looked at it, had him rotate it, taped it up and had him finish practice (an hour remaining).  At the end of practice is was quite swollen, debated but finally took him to get an x-Ray. Saw a PA, who said it looks like a fracture, but would be reviewed by a doctor in orthopedics and they would call us.They put him into a temporary splint to wait for swelling to go down.

Sure enough we are at the Vikings / Rams game when the call came. Broken.About twenty minutes later Treadwell threw a pass to Kyle who caught it....Tried to catch it with his chest and not hand....He tried to throw it back, but handed it to me...I handed it back and said "You need to do it" so he "Shot-put" it back to Treadwell.
I said, " Did that screw up your hand more?"  He said,  "Yeah, but it was worth it."
On Saturday he watched from the sidelines as his team won again 38 to 6, and they remain undefeated. That team was the last real threat to his team until playoffs, (five remaining games / weeks) so I debated suiting him up and not telling mom.
They are going to re-evaluate on Wednesday and most likely cast it. The hope is that he will be coming out of his cast as playoffs start, but he is really bummed. Was having a GREAT year on both sides of the ball with about a dozen pancake blocks at G, and 6 or 7 tackles behind the LOS at DT.
Hard to be motivated to go to practices and games, but we need to be there for the other boys. Those of you who have sons on the sidelines due to injury, keep the faith.  For those whose boys are out there mixing it up....Enjoy every single minute of it.
V83

did you tell him about Ronnie Lott?  Wink

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
did you tell him about Ronnie Lott?  Wink
LOL...no.  Or our long snapper.

(Ironically we played a game at "Ronnie Lott field" a couple weeks ago...Rialto, CA.)

Sorry to hear about the injury. I am glad he got to have that cool moment with Laquon. That's awesome. 

Sorry to hear that VG83.  From one IR parent to another, it really sucks.  Encourage him to keep going.  It is hard, but stay with the team. 

As to the "enjoy" comment, it is the reason I do my best not to miss any games.  Never know when the last snap will be.  My 8th grader had his first travel game.  had to drive 2 1/2 hours for a game on a cold windy saturday.  I was feeling ill the night before, brother was throwing up Thursday and he felt slight stomach issues on Friday.  So my wife was hinting that we should stay home.  It was tempting, coupled with the him not getting much meaningful playing time and the coaches being over-critical of his few plays out there, I was mulling not going.

But we went.  He ended up playing DE (the position he loves) for most of the game because the starter (much bigger kid) was too passive.  Made 2 huge teamwork stops, he turned the QB back inside, once for a 20 yard sack and then another for a INT as the QB got hit.  He was in the backfield all day despite getting held/tackled quite often.  And the team won a great game, blocking a punt for a TD with a minute left to give them the final lead.

Yes, that is why I love football, especially when watching my kids play.  Don't want to miss a minute of it.

I feel your pain V83, my son is a goalie in hockey, in his second game of the season there was a scrum in front of his net and a player from the other team landed on his glove hand while play continued, his hand came out of the glove at the same time the player on top of his glove got up and his skate caught my boy's hand and cut it open pretty bad. He missed nearly 2 weeks with stitches got 1 practice in before a game the next night where he was back at 100% and got his first shutout of this season in game 3.
The cut was pretty bad and scared the crap out of mom and dad, he rolled over and all we saw was blood spurting out, we didnt know it was his hand at the time and were scared to death that it was his neck and we were going to watch him die on the ice...  I have never been so scared. but he couldnt wait to get back out their on the ice and has no fear of what happened!

nothing like the ice to really make the blood stand out---my boy once got clipped by a skate on the arm after falling down.  He hopped up and skated toward his bench and it looked like someone had dumped a bucket of paint.  Thought  my heart was gonna come clean out of my chest 

Quote: @"Akvike" said:
nothing like the ice to really make the blood stand out---my boy once got clipped by a skate on the arm after falling down.  He hopped up and skated toward his bench and it looked like someone had dumped a bucket of paint.  Thought  my heart was gonna come clean out of my chest 
Something about being a parent too.  When my boy went down with his knee injury this year, I knew almost immediately it was my boy.  As I saw the player down, I scanned every number coming off the field and didn't see his number.  Nothing like waiting for him to finally stand up.

Hard to "Like" posts of this type, but I "appreciate" having friends here to confide in / who understand what it's like to go through this type of thing. 

Kyle sees the orthopedist tomorrow, so will know more...thanks for listening guys.

Here's to getting our boys healthy and back out there.

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
Hard to "Like" posts of this type, but I "appreciate" having friends here to confide in / who understand what it's like to go through this type of thing. 

Kyle sees the orthopedist tomorrow, so will know more...thanks for listening guys.

Here's to getting our boys healthy and back out there.
I have seen my boy stay down after getting run over and hurt his groin, I have seen him take a puck off the head for a concussion. I have seem him in a full scale brawl all on the ice, to me it's hockey!  To see that cut by a skate and the way he rolled over holding his hand near his neck made my heart jump out of my body and I was at the glass in seconds. 
BTW. My son's name is Kyle as well...  I wonder if that is a bad sports name. Hahahha