Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impressions from LA game
1. Cousins is everything I'd hoped he'd be. This dude can freaking play QB.

2. The Rams are really really REALLY good at offense and they are going to very hard for anyone to stop. Goff won't always be that "on" but that was the best QB performance I've seen in a long, long time. And yes that includes Yellow Jesus. In a game of inches Goff was playing in sub-atomic particles. And I wish we had that line. 

3. Despite the short week, despite the Griff drama, despite being away and on the west coast, Vikings came to play.  This was a totally different team than the one that played last week. That was encouraging and I have no doubt the Vikings will be there at the end. I know the Vikings had a few calls that didn't go their way, and this was a very close game, but you could tell the Rams were the better team on this day. I do NOT want to see them again. 

4. Why can we not run the ball and why can we not stop the run? Goff was shit-hot and I'm not going to worry too much about that, but this team MUST be able to run and stop the run. Last night's game is totally different if you do just those two things--things the Vikings have typically done very well. FIS IT! 

This doesn't look like a Zimmer team...  pass too much, can't run the football, and it looks like Leslie Frazier is coaching our defense.
Hopefully Zimmer can figure things out in the next 10 days...  the Vikings absolutely need to figure out how to establish a good running game to take pressure off of Cousins and shorten the game. 
The defense needs to get its swagger back, which is the most disconcerting thing.  We went from the #1 defense last season to #32 thru the first 4 games.  It's fucking awful.  Lack of communication seems like the main culprit...  it's the only thing I can think of for why we are giving up so many big plays.

Bravo, MB.  Well stated.  I, too, was worried which offensive team would show up last night. I had a feeling Cook was not up to snuff yet and when I heard he was on a "pitch count" I thought "oh-oh'. 
We still gave the Rams D a bruising, but our own D issues are glaring and Special Teams weaknesses are worrisome.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
Bravo, MB.  Well stated.  I, too, was worried which offensive team would show up last night. I had a feeling Cook was not up to snuff yet and when I heard he was on a "pitch count" I thought "oh-oh'. 
We still gave the Rams D a bruising, but our own D issues are glaring and Special Teams weaknesses are worrisome.
You chose wisely, Ralphie. I, on the other hand, put Cook in my lineup about 5 minutes before kick off, then seconds before, I tried to take him back out, but the roster locked. I've been playing fantasy for 25 years and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I wring my hands over a lineup decision, I make the wrong decision. Ah fantasy, I love you and hate you. 

On the runs that failed, what I saw was one guy missing his block (usually Remmers).  On a sweep left, we had a receiver go 12 yards downfield to block a safety; meanwhile there was slot DB who came untouched and blew up Cook.  If the WR had only blocked the slot- at worst- Cook would've been 1-on-1 vs. the safety.  Guys just aren't blocking well.  Maybe the loss of Sparano is hurting the run game more than anyone realizes.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
You chose wisely, Ralphie. I, on the other hand, put Cook in my lineup about 5 minutes before kick off, then seconds before, I tried to take him back out, but the roster locked. I've been playing fantasy for 25 years and EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I wring my hands over a lineup decision, I make the wrong decision. Ah fantasy, I love you and hate you. 

MB, last week against the Bills, I put in Cousins and get 15 points.  And yes, I sat Brees who got 43.7. (Oh and did I mention I had Cal Ridley resting comfortably on the pines...along with his 33.7 points?)
This week, Cousins (back on the bench) gets 36.3.  I just can't wait to see how Brees does.
FFB, you are a cold, heartless b****!!! Wink

Quote: @pumpf said:
On the runs that failed, what I saw was one guy missing his block (usually Remmers).  On a sweep left, we had a receiver go 12 yards downfield to block a safety; meanwhile there was slot DB who came untouched and blew up Cook.  If the WR had only blocked the slot- at worst- Cook would've been 1-on-1 vs. the safety.  Guys just aren't blocking well.  Maybe the loss of Sparano is hurting the run game more than anyone realizes.
Yeah, Donald was killing us in the run game.  Thought we handled him well enough in the pass game until late, but that interior disruption made running near impossible.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

2. The Rams are really really REALLY good at offense and they are going to very hard for anyone to stop. Goff won't always be that "on" but that was the best QB performance I've seen in a long, long time. And yes that includes Yellow Jesus. In a game of inches Goff was playing in sub-atomic particles. And I wish we had that line. 

3. Despite the short week, despite the Griff drama, despite being away and on the west coast, Vikings came to play.  This was a totally different team than the one that played last week. That was encouraging and I have no doubt the Vikings will be there at the end. I know the Vikings had a few calls that didn't go their way, and this was a very close game, but you could tell the Rams were the better team on this day. I do NOT want to see them again. 

4. Why can we not run the ball and why can we not stop the run? Goff was shit-hot and I'm not going to worry too much about that, but this team MUST be able to run and stop the run. Last night's game is totally different if you do just those two things--things the Vikings have typically done very well. FIS IT! 
MB,

In addition to your observations, the lack of a pass rush which started towards the last quarter of the season in 2017 is exposing the inexperience and miscommunication in the secondary. We were able to get some decent pressure on Jimmy G in the 49ers game, but that has been it. Goff was way too comfortable all night and we had no answers. We are getting gashed with chunk yardage plays on every drive instead of forcing teams to dink and dunk down the field to force a mistake or create a turnover which is another glaring weakness of this defense. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:

MB,

In addition to your observations, the lack of a pass rush which started towards the last quarter of the season in 2017 is exposing the inexperience and miscommunication in the secondary. We were able to get some decent pressure on Jimmy G in the 49ers game, but that has been it. Goff was way too comfortable all night and we had no answers. We are getting gashed with chunk yardage plays on every drive instead of forcing teams to dink and dunk down the field to force a mistake or create a turnover which is another glaring weakness of this defense. 
I would say an effective pass rush depends on an effective run defense. It's the same on offense. An effective passing game depends on you being able to run the ball. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:

MB,

RDE
LT
QB

The 3 cornerstone positions on an NFL team.  Reiff has been hurt, Griffen gone and Cousins magnificent.  My lament of losing Everson (since last year really) is a loud one.