Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling Geoff ?? About our D
Geoff,

I know you have a ton on your plate.  Was wondering if you had a few minutes to share your insight on why our D is on a milk carton this year?

What has happened since Q3 of the Saints game through now that is so radically different from 2017's squad.  We essentially have the same coaching staff and personal. 

Any insights would be helpful. 

easy. overrated players and a coaching scheme that was been figured out.

Quote: @eckman said:
easy. overrated players and a coaching scheme that was been figured out.
Care to explain it to us lay people with a little more detail.

Easy answer is we lost our identity. The harder question is how? I wish I was detail focused. I might have an answer then. So I will give an easy guess like answer. They are playing scared??

i hope they figure it out. if we had last years defense mo one would beat us.

I kind of tend to think players are not sticking to their roles and doing their jobs.  There is free-lancing and there is confusion.  The defense lacks leadership.
I am wondering about missing the leaders - Robison, Griffen, Newman.  Who is there now?

My theory is that LB play has crashed. Kendricks is late to plays or blocked out, and Barr has been ineffective or detrimental. LBs don't collect great stats in this defense, but
they used to help the other areas excel. Now, I think bad LB play is dragging down the whole defense, but it's more visible in the line and backfield.
Also, there has been a lot of debate about the value of veteran leadership. Before this year, Kendricks appeared to be intense and smart - the kind of player who would step up into that role, especially now that he is a 4th-year vet with a multiyear commitment from the team, and at 26 he's hardly a child on this team. So where is he?

Yeah Jor I don't think enough can be said about vet leadership. Seems on defense this is really missing. The offense is in good hands with Kirk. He is already the leader there. He's  got everyone involved. Defense needs a guy in that role. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
My theory is that LB play has crashed. Kendricks is late to plays or blocked out, and Barr has been ineffective or detrimental. LBs don't collect great stats in this defense, but
they used to help the other areas excel. Now, I think bad LB play is dragging down the whole defense, but it's more visible in the line and backfield.
Also, there has been a lot of debate about the value of veteran leadership. Before this year, Kendricks appeared to be intense and smart - the kind of player who would step up into that role, especially now that he is a 4th-year vet with a multiyear commitment from the team, and at 26 he's hardly a child on this team. So where is he?

My theory: Kendricks is distracted by his big bro's legal issues.
NFL linebacker Mychal Kendricks, who played his first game for the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night, is facing some serious jail time after pleading guilty to charges of insider trading on Thursday. 
The 27-year-old, who won a Super Bowl ring with the Eagles last season, is now facing up to 25 years in prison following his plea, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Kendricks will learn of his fate at his sentencing hearing in December. 
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seaha...jail-time/

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@Jor-El said:

My theory: Kendricks is distracted by his big bro's legal issues.
NFL linebacker Mychal Kendricks, who played his first game for the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night, is facing some serious jail time after pleading guilty to charges of insider trading on Thursday. 
The 27-year-old, who won a Super Bowl ring with the Eagles last season, is now facing up to 25 years in prison following his plea, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Kendricks will learn of his fate at his sentencing hearing in December. 
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seaha...jail-time/
Possible, but Mychal himself is playing better than Eric - led Seahawks in tackles and had a sack last week. Maybe Eric is going to be named in that case and knows it? That would be another typical Viking distraction...