Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaepernick Needs To Speak

Now they want him to speak when they wanted him to shut up last year.

Maybe teams just don't want the circus or have the stuff that comes with him

It still surprises me, though, that both Kaepernick and Cutler look like they will be out of the NFL this year. At the QB position, especially, in the past NFL teams have been amazingly willing to overlook someone being a head case or generating controversy. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
It still surprises me, though, that both Kaepernick and Cutler look like they will be out of the NFL this year. At the QB position, especially, in the past NFL teams have been amazingly willing to overlook someone being a head case or generating controversy. 
the nfl used to be teflon coated,  the owners are now starting to realize that their product isnt tarnish free as they are seeing their numbers decline in terms of ratings and new viewers.   perhaps they are starting to realize that they need to protect their image in terms of public perception or there will be consequences?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Profits still up...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer...16c11cb797
that wont last if fans continue to jump ship.   if nobody is watching the ad revenue wont be there and the networks will start to cut back on the amount they are willing to pay for the game rights.

At the risk of generalizing about NFL fans, I believe there is an "old school" core, which is largely male and aged 35+. That group has watched football since their childhood and has a "traditional" perspective, on the game if not on other issues. That's the group that grumbles about Kaepernick and other athletes who espouse political opinions. When something like this occurs, they claim that they might quit watching. But they (I could say "we" to include at least myself, without assuming anything about other posters) are the "heavy users" of the NFL product, and have been addicted for decades in some cases, and are bluffing when they threaten to quit - and the NFL marketing teams know that.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Actually...

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/nfl-audien...d-leiweke/
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
At the risk of generalizing about NFL fans, I believe there is an "old school" core, which is largely male and aged 35+. That group has watched football since their childhood and has a "traditional" perspective, on the game if not on other issues. That's the group that grumbles about Kaepernick and other athletes who espouse political opinions. When something like this occurs, they claim that they might quit watching. But they (I could say "we" to include at least myself, without assuming anything about other posters) are the "heavy users" of the NFL product, and have been addicted for decades in some cases, and are bluffing when they threaten to quit - and the NFL marketing teams know that.
I have several devices that have the nfl on them... i have never watched a game on them, and honestly I dont recall ever seeing anybody that has watched a game on their phones or tablets... but if they want to count that as viewers ok.... but the leagues big money comes from the networks and if they lose viewership then they will lose advertising dollars and that will devalue the network contracts that the league is feeding off of these days.  maybe verizon and att&t will make up the difference,  or maybe not.

as far as pissed off fans... I am getting tired of the product.  I used to watch about every game I could find on TV start to finish...now its becoming so over saturated that I might watch about an hour total of the non Vikings games each week.